Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,727 times

Advertisements

This year's terrible wet weather in N.W. Europe has got me thinking how important climate is to our lives and general wellbeing. I love London and Paris (the cities where I've spent most of my adult life) but god the climate can be depressing at times.

So what major city (1 million +) round the world has the absolute best climate?

I'm not just talking which one is sunny and hot all the time. I'm talking somewhere with plenty of sunshine, reliable seasons, enough rainfall so it's got a bit of greenery, lack of extreme weather like hurricanes and floods...

Where in the world's got the best climate for living an average, 21st century, office worker 9-5 existence?

I'm thinking Perth (Western Australia)?

Cape Town?

Lisbon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
I can only answer by places I've been to so for me San Diego CA

Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,625 times
I live in San Deigo and I'd say it's pretty near perfect (I've been a few places both domestic and international)... We're told that our weather is pretty much like Southern Italy (I've never been)

Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Marseille, France and Santiago, Chile are pretty close to San Diego, slightly cooler in winter and warmer in summer, depending on what one prefers.

For me, I still want a winter when you need to put a sweater/coat on, and a few summer days when you sweat a bit. Just nothing to extreme.

San Diego is very very mild and hard to beat when it comes to weather. But it really has no winter. Average low is like 10C in Jan, while it is 3-4C in the other two.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:23 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,169 times
I actually like sao paulo weather because it is so unreliable, but it can be inconvenient at times. Lisbon is nice but it is not 1mil.

Melbourne has nice weather too

Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times
San Diego, Lisbon and Florianpolis. I have also heard that Istanbul has almost perfect weather. Is this true?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:29 PM

42 posts, read 41,245 times
Perth does have really good weather.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 PM

295 posts, read 1,154,955 times
Lisbon during winter is cold, is usually cloudy and with fog night, you can be a whole month without seeing the sun.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:48 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times
Buenos Aires.

I mean, i hate it cause its waaay too hot for my liking, but a lot of people in weather forum seem to think is comfortable year round and doesnt have huge extremes. It definetely haves seasons, though cool season is much shorter than warm/hot seasons. It definetely haves enough storms, its sunny enough (but not overwhelmingly sunny) and not very extreme. It doesnt get any nasty things like earthquakes or tsunamis (its not in one of those zones), and its pretty bening overall.

Of course i would take 10 celsius out of every month to make it perfect, but i have weather preferences that arent like the mayority. I think that for most people, specially the ones living in cloudy/cool norther europe, this climate would be lovely.

Climate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires#Climate

Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Buenos Aires.

I mean, i hate it cause its waaay too hot for my liking, but a lot of people in weather forum seem to think is comfortable year round and doesnt have huge extremes. It definetely haves seasons, though cool season is much shorter than warm/hot seasons. It definetely haves enough storms, its sunny enough (but not overwhelmingly sunny) and not very extreme. It doesnt get any nasty things like earthquakes or tsunamis (its not in one of those zones), and its pretty bening overall.

Of course i would take 10 celsius out of every month to make it perfect, but i have weather preferences that arent like the mayority. I think that for most people, specially the ones living in cloudy/cool norther europe, this climate would be lovely.

Climate: Buenos Aires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Really I have heard that buenos aires gets horribly hot and humid. Never heard anyone praise the weather there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather