Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2023, 01:49 PM

1,503 posts, read 914,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Actually I am sitting here in Georgia right now, the sun just came out and it's 22c in mid January. The low tonight was in the mid teens. this is practically summer weather in London. the climates have very little in common
I wouldn't engage with this repeatedly banned troll who pops up again under a new username every few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 07:03 PM

2,829 posts, read 1,412,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Anecdotes say it's warmer than West Palm Beach

Logically it must be true...
Stop putting words in my mouth, that statement does not imply Lady's Island is warmer than West Palm Beach! Literally all it's saying is that there is a winter where it didn't get a frost while West Palm Beach got a freak one, I'm well aware Lady's Island is a colder climate overall.

You know something like this isn't unprecedented, January 1949 is another example of a greatly reduced discrepancy between South Florida and much colder subtropical places to the north. Fort Lauderdale had a 0C freak frost while the cold hole Tallahassee airport only got to -1C, despite having a normal minimum seasonal temperature and average January low temperature 11.4C colder.
And considering there's NO WAY the average winter lows of Lady's Island are only 3C (I would expect them to be over 6-7C), such a discrepancy is not unprecedented for 14.4C low West Palm Beach, especially considering Lady's Island is WAY less prone to radiational cooling than the Tallahassee cold hole airport.

Quote:
the official weather data has got to be bogus, that's the only explanation.
Not sure if this is sarcastic or not. But the official weather data does support some Sea Islands being 10a.
Consider that downtown Charleston is solidly 9b (median minimum of -2C). Now also consider that this is about as far north as the Sea Islands get, without as much water surrounding it (especially to the north) as say Tybee Island for which we also have data.
And also consider that Tybee Island has 8.4C lows in January, 2C water than downtown Charleston. That would make it 10a, which is to be expected given all the above, no bogus at all.

Not to mention all these gardeners would have to just be straight lying in order for the islands not to be 10a. What a bogus concept.

Quote:
I've been to Hilton Head and Tybee, it looks nothing like Palm Beach (lol) or even Jacksonville and St Augustine. It looks like Savannah first and the FL Panhandle second
I wouldn't expect it to. As little as I know about plants, didn't you say in the deleted exploding thread about 'The Southeast US is a Inhospitable Environment for Plants' that there wasn't enough heat during winter to have coconuts as West Palm Beach etc do?
That would be true regardless of 10a, the winters are not very warm for 10a places.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I was surprised to see it missed freezes the a few winters recently. However there isn't really an argument in my mind for it being a zone 10 climate. There are no zone 10 climates in Georgia.
There are. Look at my comment to Asagi, we have every reason to believe Tybee Island is 10a, also considering solid 9b Charleston further north and with less water.

And IMHO your proposal for USDA zones is not what I'd go with. See the last quote.

Quote:
The Georgia gold coast is a 9a climate
Actually 9b-10a. I trust the actual gardeners and the data here.

Quote:
with Savannah traditionally being a 8b Climate .
It's not. Even the cold hole airport is 9a (-5.8C usual minimum), while the downtown is likely to be 9b since it is urban and on the water.
8b is the outdated 1976-2005 map.

Quote:
I could see a fair argument for Tybee/hilton Head as a Zone 9a Climate.
They are 10a (Tybee Island) or at least 9b (Hilton Head). Again see above.

Quote:
While USDA zone I think should give more weight to colder years than warmer ones, since it's the colder ones that kill.
It's possible that you are right when it comes to growing plants, but when it comes to weather/climate monitoring, it's best to stick with the normal lowest.
Besides, USDA zones are not that good since they only take into account lowest temperature, that's it. I think they are better used as ballparks for the lowest temperature a climate gets each winter for that reason, in which case we stick to the median instead of overfocusing on unusual cold.

I have nothing to say on the rest because I am not a plant guy.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Actually I am sitting here in Georgia right now, the sun just came out and it's 22c in mid January. The low tonight was in the mid teens. this is practically summer weather in London. the climates have very little in common
Nice and warm day across Georgia today isn't it?
I believe the hot spot was Waycross which hit a hot 27C.

This is the kind of non-frost related weather I absolutely LIVE for in monitoring. I was also reminded of an earlier comment I made by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Yeah that's the thing about the northern and central subtropical parts of the state compared to the southern tropical parts, and it's IMHO one of the most fascinating things about the climate.
However much colder they get during cold spells (especially freak and radiational ones like last October), they can just as easily get as hot as or even hotter than the tropical south in cool season heatwaves as they are not far north enough to preclude it.
^This is coming true today. Subtropical Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and Immokalee are 27C, 28C, and 31C respectively.
Stacks up very favorably to - and even beats - tropical Miami Beach and Key West, both of which are 27C today. One of my favorite things about subtropical Florida's climate.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:33 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
There are. Look at my comment to Asagi, we have every reason to believe Tybee Island is 10a, also considering solid 9b Charleston further north and with less water.

And IMHO your proposal for USDA zones is not what I'd go with. See the last quote.

Actually 9b-10a. I trust the actual gardeners and the data here.

It's not. Even the cold hole airport is 9a (-5.8C usual minimum), while the downtown is likely to be 9b since it is urban and on the water.
8b is the outdated 1976-2005 map.

They are 10a (Tybee Island) or at least 9b (Hilton Head). Again see above.

It's possible that you are right when it comes to growing plants, but when it comes to weather/climate monitoring, it's best to stick with the normal lowest.
Besides, USDA zones are not that good since they only take into account lowest temperature, that's it. I think they are better used as ballparks for the lowest temperature a climate gets each winter for that reason, in which case we stick to the median instead of overfocusing on unusual cold.

I have nothing to say on the rest because I am not a plant guy.
Can you remind me again why Sapelo Island is always excluded from this conversation?

Old 01-19-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Can you remind me again why Sapelo Island is always excluded from this conversation?
Because its weather station is far more consistent with being situated in the middle of the island as opposed to very close to the water as those of Charleston, Tybee Island, etc are. If the weather station was as close to the water on Sapelo Island as in those places, we ought to be looking at data a bit warmer than Tybee Island.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Because its weather station is far more consistent with being situated in the middle of the island as opposed to very close to the water as those of Charleston, Tybee Island, etc are. ...
Does Tybee Island even have a weather station though?

Old 01-19-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Does Tybee Island even have a weather station though?
That it does. This one is very consistent with the climate box I made: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KGATYBEE14

No 1991-2020 normals but it is warmer than downtown Charleston by around the margin you would expect based on those normals. Plus it fits with what the Savannahian gardeners say.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
That it does. This one is very consistent with the climate box I made: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KGATYBEE14

No 1991-2020 normals but it is warmer than downtown Charleston by around the margin you would expect based on those normals. Plus it fits with what the Savannahian gardeners say.
Personal weather stations don't count.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Personal weather stations don't count.
Why doesn't this one count? Its results are exactly in line with what the gardeners say.

Even if we assume they don't count, I see absolutely no reason not to trust what the gardeners say.

Edit: in case this was not clear, weather-us was the source for my box. If they alone count as a source, that's what they are I guess.

Edit 2: seems like weather-us has its own weather stations (hover over the Climate option): https://weather.us/
THAT would be the Tybee Island station. Doesn't seem like a personal one to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather