Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 03:55 PM

83,617 posts, read 75,647,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
First little snowfall last night. I suppose for weather records purposes, this would count as snow accumulation (0.1" or so) even though none accumulated on the ground since snow accumulation is recorded in vials that are up from the ground and therefore would be a sufficiently cold surface to not melt snow like the ground does?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Nice. Snowfall is measured on a snowboard placed on the ground.
That would be a "Trace" for the books. Probably not enough to accumulate on the snow board IMO but whats 0.1" between friends? lol

Some folks just use plywood but paint it white. Something flat and best open area away from roofs and fences. Fiberglass is the best, wood would absorb too much

This is mine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 05:10 PM

5,753 posts, read 3,546,211 times
Short-lived storms to the west and south of Brizzie yesterday but nothing where I was.

Old 10-31-2023, 05:43 PM

5,931 posts, read 6,148,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That would be a "Trace" for the books. Probably not enough to accumulate on the snow board IMO but whats 0.1" between friends? lol

Some folks just use plywood but paint it white. Something flat and best open area away from roofs and fences. Fiberglass is the best, wood would absorb too much

This is mine
We do have a walkway that's basically just boards laid onto gravel and there was accumulation on that. It's mostly the soil (moist = higher heat capacity) and paved surfaces that didn't have any accumulation. Vegetation a few inches off the ground had accumulation too. So maybe a snow board would have had a bit. We can call it "trace" I suppose. Getting a bit of flurries tonight too but no accumulation yet.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,762,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
The Redcliffe Markets were packed yesterday.

This one's for Joe: avos vs mangoes.
Would be nice to be able to buy local mangoes. Avocados at the cheapest time of year here - seven for $4 at the place down the road.

Picked a bunch of small remaining avocados yesterday, before chopping the trees in half .... gone a bit wild.

Swimming or surfing over there?

Old 11-05-2023, 01:07 AM

5,753 posts, read 3,546,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Would be nice to be able to buy local mangoes. Avocados at the cheapest time of year here - seven for $4 at the place down the road.

Picked a bunch of small remaining avocados yesterday, before chopping the trees in half .... gone a bit wild.

Swimming or surfing over there?
Nope, my doctor told me to stay out of the sun. Which hasn't been a problem the last few days.

Nice skies this morning before the rain moved in.

Back to Canada tomorrow!

Old 11-13-2023, 04:40 AM

83,617 posts, read 75,647,164 times
Heavy frost this morning with a low of 25°.

Soil temp down to 41.1° lowest since March 21st.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Heavy frost this morning with a low of 25°.

Soil temp down to 41.1° lowest since March 21st.
Soil temp dropped to just a hair above freezing (<32.5F) at 2" depth a couple times here already following our hard frosts. Generally they've been hanging around the 40F range but will probably go into the high 40s at least during the afternoons during the sunny days this week.

Old 11-17-2023, 01:32 AM

901 posts, read 355,418 times
Deep blue skies, low 20s °C and bone-dry dews across NE VIC this afternoon following a chilly morning - Biggara, Nariel Valley and Dartmouth Dam, in that order.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:35 AM

It's not often I have such a clear day. Even during a "clear sunny day", I'll usually have a bit of cirrus clouds or a cumulus cloud here or there on the horizon.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:44 PM

901 posts, read 355,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
It's not often I have such a clear day. Even during a "clear sunny day", I'll usually have a bit of cirrus clouds or a cumulus cloud here or there on the horizon.
Yea- these sorts of days are generally only possible following the passage of a cold airmass (which is common even at the height of summer). Though there was some scattered fractus ('wintry cloud') on the southern horizon behind the ranges, but none over this side of the ranges.

The hot, more summerlike days tend to feature the high cirrus you are referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather