Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical?
NZ 4 16.67%
Virginia 12 50.00%
Both in their way 3 12.50%
Not sure it is too hard to really know 0 0%
Depends what part of each place 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 08:39 PM

406 posts, read 83,165 times

Advertisements

You know what, lets keep this going shall we? Under Köppen Virginia is subtropical, also most in Trewartha too, that is valid already, North Island only in Trewartha, under Köppen its oceanic. But think of it, Oceanic climates can indeed if mild enough support all that vegetation, subtropical no problem and in North Island’s case even tropicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 08:42 PM

Welcome back to this discussion! We need more facts here!

Old 03-07-2024, 10:18 PM

901 posts, read 346,994 times
are you okay

Old 03-07-2024, 10:57 PM

2,932 posts, read 1,311,179 times
Which Island in New Zealand. New Zealand is almost 2000km long so a bit silly to compare the whole thing to Virginia. Of course if we are just talking about the North Island especially the Top half I'd say the North Island but again none of them are subtropical

Old 03-07-2024, 11:04 PM

389 posts, read 98,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
You know what, lets keep this going shall we? Under Köppen Virginia is subtropical, also most in Trewartha too, that is valid already, North Island only in Trewartha, under Köppen its oceanic. But think of it, Oceanic climates can indeed if mild enough support all that vegetation, subtropical no problem and in North Island’s case even tropicals.
Actually, only norfolk qualifies under trewartha. All other 6 cities on the wiki climate of virginia page have 5 months under 10 c mean. Even wellington only has one month below a 10 c mean, at 9.8 c

Old 03-08-2024, 06:57 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,786,429 times
I've seen people describe Virginia as a four season climate. In my opinion subtropical climates should only have 3 seasons which in particular the northern part of North Island has. Also in subtropical climates during the winter there should be plant growth.

This makes the North Island more subtropical then Virginia.

Last edited by gordo; 03-08-2024 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-08-2024, 08:43 AM

2,381 posts, read 1,062,715 times
NZ is more subtropical....

Can grow oranges without protection.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I've seen people describe Virginia as a four season climate. In my opinion subtropical climates should only have 3 seasons which in particular the northern part of North Island has. Also in subtropical climates during the winter there should be plant growth.

This makes the North Island more subtropical then Virginia.
Excuse me, It is very hard to find places of 3 seasons. NZ is still Oceanic while Virginia takes an actual subtropical. Or is New Delhi with it’s 5 seasons not subtropical? Yes it is, it is even nearly tropical. Virginia has the temperate 4 seasons, for which it can be very normal for the humid-subtropical climate. And also I don’t see what you mean with North Island having 3 seasons, though not very variable I practically see 4.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
NZ is more subtropical....

Can grow oranges without protection.
So is also UK more subtropical, also oranges growing no protection. Typical citrus start to grow without protection at hardiness zone 8a, the coast of Virginia does that too. NZ barely has summers, if it had hot summers it would be subtropical. People come on just accept that oceanic climates have that ability.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:54 PM

389 posts, read 98,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
So is also UK more subtropical, also oranges growing no protection. Typical citrus start to grow without protection at hardiness zone 8a, the coast of Virginia does that too. NZ barely has summers, if it had hot summers it would be subtropical. People come on just accept that oceanic climates have that ability.
Could you post some evidence of this? I've only see one orange, which was in portsmouth growing against a wall, and a lemon in london which was a very modified warmth environment with a degree of protection.

Have followed a number of UK gardening forums for quite a few years, and have yet to see a post in which any poster claimed to have produced citrus fruit that wasn't in a container that was moved indoors/outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather