Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 08:23 PM

584 posts, read 1,687,904 times

Advertisements

Canadian Praries is BRUTAL !

I feel sorry for myself who lived in Winnipeg (Winterpeg) for a while

I also feel sorry for those who live in Thompson Manitoba, man it's a torture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Actually I've been to nearby Fortaleza in Brazil and while the crime rate would typically be higher than an average Canadian city.. it wasn't ridiculous like Rio for example. You could walk around by yourself during the day time in all but the poorest areas without much fear. At night, you could still go out but would have to take more caution. Natal being an even smaller city probably would have even less of a crime rate.
The language issue isn't really all that pressing... people there are very accommodating and will help you even with sign language and you would probably pick up Portuguese very quickly anyway.
The problem I have with Latin America is I know absolutely nothing about her.

Now I only start spending time to explore Florida which is more expensive than Latin America.

Hmmm, perhaps I should split my focus 50/50, half Florida, half Latin America. Hmmm... perhaps I will save a lot of $$$ snowbirding in Latin America

Old 12-17-2011, 08:27 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I have no experience about Latin America at all ! Perhaps when get to know more about her, I might choose to snowbird there but ... hmmm Spanish, I only know a few words .. Si, Non, combien, gracia, denada ...

I wish I spoke Spanish

They dont speak spanish in Brazil.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
They dont speak spanish in Brazil.
OOppss ! Of course not, they speak portuguese !

Old 12-17-2011, 08:31 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,023 times
Quote:
Sorry, I was using NYC to compare Toronto, and I know NYC is warmer than Toronto. I didn't check NJ as I don't know which city you live in.

So it looks like NJ is comparable to Toronto then. I suppose.

I am Canadian, so jobs in Florida don't affect me, I suppose !?

Do you know if detached properties were damaged instead of condos ?
ILMC lives in northwestern NJ which is the coldest part of the state due to the distance from the ocean, low population density, and elevation. This area is comparable to downtown Toronto (the lows are colder but the highs are warmer). On the net, they are almost identical (26F avg Jan mean, 49F avg yearly).

However Toronto suburbs (I'm using Peasron International as proxy) are noticeably colder. From what I have been lead to believe by ColdCanadian, downtown temperatures listed on Wikipedia ("The Annex" temperatures) are not really representative of GTA as a whole. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, NYC is much warmer than northwestern NJ. In fact, NYC is warmer than most of NJ except coastal areas in the south of the state and perhaps Philadelphia suburbs.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:33 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
Quote:
OOppss ! Of course not, they speak portuguese !

i thought you thought they speak spanish there since deneb mentioned Natal, Brasil, and you said you didnt speak spanish. But nevermind.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
ILMC lives in northwestern NJ which is the coldest part of the state due to the distance from the ocean, low population density, and elevation. This area is comparable to downtown Toronto (the lows are colder but the highs are warmer). On the net, they are almost identical (26F avg Jan mean, 49F avg yearly).

However Toronto suburbs (I'm using Peasron International as proxy) are noticeably colder. From what I have been lead to believe by ColdCanadian, downtown temperatures listed on Wikipedia ("The Annex" temperatures) are not really representative of GTA as a whole. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, NYC is much warmer than northwestern NJ. In fact, NYC is warmer than most of NJ except coastal areas in the south of the state and perhaps Philadelphia suburbs.
Thanks for letting me know about NJ.

Toronto Island is the warmest of Toronto, then the city of Toronto, then Pearson International Airport, then the suburb.

I would devide the city of Toronto into half, area South of hwy 401 is below the snow belt, however, some use hwy 7 (which is much further North of hwy 401) as the snow belt. But in any case, the southern part of Toronto is warmer than the northern part and of course the subburb.

Area near lake Ontario accumulates less snow and sometimes see green grass in the winter, no chance for area North of the snow belt (hwy 7).

Old 12-17-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
i thought you thought they speak spanish there since deneb mentioned Natal, Brasil, and you said you didnt speak spanish. But nevermind.
I know, I saw the city he/she mentioned but didn't see Brazil

Old 12-18-2011, 02:32 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,341 times
I might actually steer this one back on topic.

I dislike cold as I am not keen on wearing too many layers, plus find my outdoors options (e.g. swimming, paddle boarding, running etc) restricted. And most often, a cold day is associated with cloud over which I do not like (cold and sunny days are tolerable though).

Furthermore I generally dislike the sensation of feeling cold.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:08 AM

There's more cloud in the winter than summer in Toronto, or Canada.

Some people here get depressed in the winter (grey sky, no leaves, black/white/grey colour: Dogs only see 3 colours) although I don't. But I just don't like it for 3 or 4 or 5 months like that.

The bottom line is: If I lose 5 months of "happiness" every year, it's not worth it, is it ? That's why I like the sunshine state Florida !

Also, I become energetic in the summer because I can canoe, swim, go camping, bbq ... so many things to do !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather