Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 PM

454 posts, read 690,867 times

Advertisements

Well...perhaps I didn't quite tell the whole story, but here goes.

On Wednesday and Thursday I was doing some outdoor work before I leave town. I got 'stuck' on a couple of things and spent several hours (in total) in what was 35 degree weather. Not to mention going in and out of warm heat and cold weather!

The weather was so cold, that I had on 3 tracksuits AND a thick faux fur coat with a hoodie, yet the cold was still unbearable. It was driving me crazy. I could not understand how I was completely covered and still freezing. Perhaps the little bit of skin showing was enough.

Last night was the worst...I barely got any sleep, shivered all night long; woke up about 4-5 times.

Another example: Snow in Houston? What place with Palm trees and all the locals call 'humid' snows? It doesn't make any sense. I bet all the Palm trees there are dead now. Thats why I say, there's nothing in the 48 like Southern Cali and South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:07 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,628,811 times
35F is nothing, I spent a weekend camping in temps down to -4F and didn't get sick.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
35F is nothing, I spent a weekend camping in temps down to -4F and didn't get sick.
Thats because you're from NC. You've built up some immunity. Now, if you take the Palm tree on my photo and place that same tree in NC; how long do you think it would survive?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,628,811 times
Actually i live in eastern NC where it rarely gets below 20F. But as others have said, the weather cannot make you sick.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Actually i live in eastern NC where it rarely gets below 20F. But as others have said, the weather cannot make you sick.
Yes it can! Okay...maybe its not the weather, its the weather CHANGE. Last week, before Thanksgiving I was wearing a miniskirt at the bar; this week Im dressed in layers.

Also, whenever I get into the car; the heat goes full blast (probably a bad thing) and as soon as I step out the wind is picking up making it feel like 28 degrees!

Sudden temp changes have been know to cause comas in some people. Im thankful that I didn't end up with one because I spent 2 whole days shivering.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:19 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,493,304 times
Fact: the flu virus thrives in cold weather. That's why winter is flu season.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,700,185 times
I'm not a big fan of cold weather and all the aches and pains it aggravates.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,239,969 times
Lived in cold weather climate all my life.

If I ever get really chilled, I can guarantee you that the next say I will have a fever and be aching.

Maybe it might happen in summer, but the opportunity to get chilled is greater in winter.

Also, one can dress for the cold when working outside, but you still have to dress so you still are able to get work done.

If you are so bundled up that you can't work wearing all those clothes, might as well stay in the house.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,914,272 times
Winter makes me sick. Mentally, and at times physically.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:24 PM

364 posts, read 879,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Well...perhaps I didn't quite tell the whole story, but here goes.

On Wednesday and Thursday I was doing some outdoor work before I leave town. I got 'stuck' on a couple of things and spent several hours (in total) in what was 35 degree weather. Not to mention going in and out of warm heat and cold weather!

The weather was so cold, that I had on 3 tracksuits AND a thick faux fur coat with a hoodie, yet the cold was still unbearable. It was driving me crazy. I could not understand how I was completely covered and still freezing. Perhaps the little bit of skin showing was enough.

Last night was the worst...I barely got any sleep, shivered all night long; woke up about 4-5 times.

Another example: Snow in Houston? What place with Palm trees and all the locals call 'humid' snows? It doesn't make any sense. I bet all the Palm trees there are dead now. Thats why I say, there's nothing in the 48 like Southern Cali and South Florida.
Houston got an inch of snow that lasted an hour and it wasnt even below freezing, the palms will be fine.

And youre right, there IS no place like soCal or soFLA. For me it would be UTTER HELL...a season-less climate with ZERO chance of snow.

Sorry to hear your sick, but clearly you are not a winter person. But many of us are and love winter, which hasnt even really begun (its been cold in SE MI with many bouts of flurries but no big snows yet). So if you wanna break Old Mans winters legs...youll have to do so yourself lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather