Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
What 'tards' enjoy this weather? Any specific examples please since you're so intent that there are actually people enjoying this type of weather? Certainly nobody on NetWeather has expressed any joy or excitement from the current weather, quite the opposite in fact, and it's the general consensus on all UK weather forums.

So, yeah, a few examples please, I can't take your word for it, after all.
Two more examples, some new member called "purga" drooling over cold charts all the time and this load of nonsense (was a more rude word the filter edited out) from some cold ramper

"I'd much prefer to see that cold pool hit the UK, the 850's could be outlandish given the time of year and it would be interesting to see what temps could be recorded. I'm really quite happy with the recent snow here which was actually better than last February when the temps were ridiculously cold but the snow amounts were less so I think I've been quite lucky. Time for the UK to get a bit of luck."

WTF is he on about? The UK's just had a very cold and snowy winter for god's sake. A bit of luck? No what we need now is 6 months of warmer than average temps to make up for the colder than average crap we've have for about a year or so!!! On a lovely sunny mild day like today I can't believe anyone still wants cold wintry garbage. This is the weather of life! Oh well to each his own... why don't he just buy a walk in fridge.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Two more examples, some new member called "purga" drooling over cold charts all the time and this load of nonsense (was a more rude word the filter edited out) from some cold ramper

"I'd much prefer to see that cold pool hit the UK, the 850's could be outlandish given the time of year and it would be interesting to see what temps could be recorded. I'm really quite happy with the recent snow here which was actually better than last February when the temps were ridiculously cold but the snow amounts were less so I think I've been quite lucky. Time for the UK to get a bit of luck."

WTF is he on about? The UK's just had a very cold and snowy winter for god's sake. A bit of luck? No what we need now is 6 months of warmer than average temps to make up for the colder than average crap we've have for about a year or so!!! On a lovely sunny mild day like today I can't believe anyone still wants cold wintry garbage. This is the weather of life! Oh well to each his own... why don't he just buy a walk in fridge.
Yes, though if we get prolonged warm and dry this spring the alarm bells will start ringing lest the "warm, dry spring = cool, wet summer" curse should strike again, I see the bright sunshine coming in through the window now giving us a taste of what we've been missing all these months and have no more interest in snow or cold until at least November. We had 15 days of lying snow here against an average of seven anyway so I can't really complain if we don't get any more.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
This winter has felt cold but is nothing compared to December 2010 or January 2010. This winter has been severely lacking in very cold nights, while cold, cloudy days have been in abundance. The UK's island position means it will mostly miss out on the deepest cold, the best snow, and conversely in summer, the best heat and storms that the continent experiences. A bit below average due to perpetually cloudy, cold days with hardly any temperature variation at night just doesn't excite me or anyone else, surprise surprise, which is why people feel cheated this winter - we've missed out on several potentially very cold spells of weather that have consistently been diluted or abandoned all together. With a mean max of 4.9C and a mean min of 0.9C, January was very boring if you take out the snow factor, again, nothing compared to Jan 2010 (which wasn't anywhere near the coldest on record), which had a mean max of 2 - 3C for this part of the world and plenty of cold, sunny days with thick snow cover. I get the impression people are mostly after something like January 1987, which wasn't that cold overall but had a very sharp cold snap that lasted for a few days and delivered drifts in excess of 2 feet in parts of Kent.

So yeah, it's felt very cold at times, mostly due to the abundance of cloud, but severe frosts have been lacking, and considering the uppers we have had, if skies had cleared, widespread temperatures below -10C would have occurred no doubt with sparkling sunshine on crisp snow cover - that is what most people want. Anyway, I'm hoping for a good snowfall in March, it's a typical occurrence and snowfall well into April cannot be considered unusual, either. Last proper March snowfall here was 2008 so I'm sure we're overdue one. I'm sure we'll get a heatwave at some point this year, but March is definitely not the month for that (considering it usually feels more like January than May).

Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 AM

January started mild and cloudy here but the middle two weeks was a winter lovers dream (at least in Buxton and many other places). I mean we had 14" of snow, loads of ice days and even thunderstorms. Those were the highlight of an otherwise appalling winter. Like heatwaves in summer though, the "potential very cold spells" rarely make it to this country with any vigor due to the maritime modification the airmasses undergo due to our geographical position. If cold lovers think they were cheated this winter well that's nothing to what summer lovers have to suffer in the long run of terrible summers we've endured since 2006. Only June 2010 has been decent since then... all others were dreadful at least here. I've been waiting years, and years. Coldies have had it good IMHO. December 2009, January 2010, November 2010, December 2010, February 2012 (first half), January + February 2013, there's been nothing in summer to balance that out at all... and any warmer summer months have just been exceptionally cloudy.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 AM

No doubt coldies have had it significantly better than heat lovers, but more is always better, right? We're overdue a nationwide heatwave, so I'm sure one will crop up this summer.. maybe...

Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 AM

Well it won't last forever this run of cold winters. It's got about as "good" as its going to get for you, times are a changing. As a certain forum member says, "the bigger the hype the bigger the fizzahhh".

Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM

Haven't seen a foot of level snow since 1995 so I am definitely not happy just yet.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Avery cold and snowy winter? Um what.

Its only been a teeny bit below average. Certainly below highland areas I would not call it a snowy winter. It wasnt cold either.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Avery cold and snowy winter? Um what.
There aren't any Northern Ireland posters here. Perhaps the English posters have been having a different winter than you. As you said many time, Britain isn't the same everywhere.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
^Yes we have its been cold and dull even here in London we got just over a week of lying snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather