Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,241,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Not for your latitude no.
Two weeks well into the 70s is not normal for this area in March.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,902,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Two weeks well into the 70s is not normal for this area in March.
It isn't RARE for your LATITUDE.

It will be reaching those temps by the end of march I bet.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,568,079 times
Quote:
No, it is rare. It's nearly unheard of.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,008,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I prefer a slow transition into spring. Ideal conditions for early spring for me are overcast and in the 30s and 40s. We get that where I live, but it warms up too quickly most years.
I prefer a later, cooler Spring, though not necessarily slow (a Spring that drags on from February to June is a real drag). I prefer March to be full-on winter. At that point I'm not ready for Spring. I'd like the snowpack to diminish in April along with some warm spells and rain (plus a bit of sun), but still some big wet snows occurring. By May most of the snow should be gone, with a few minor snows occurring through the rest of the month, and the second stage of Spring (blooming and so forth) taking hold by the end of the month. This would ideally be followed by a pleasantly warm summer (highs in the 60's) which would resemble late Spring in a balanced climate.

As you might guess I prefer a cooler climate than what I'd consider the norm, which is a balanced four season climate, featuring a real summer (warmth and heat dominant), a real winter (cold and snow dominant), plus two transition seasons (Spring and Autumn). In that scenario the snowpack would break up in March, followed by the onset of blooming season sometime later in April, with summery weather (warmth and heat dominate) not really taking hold until June.

It's worth noting that in a sense Spring in continental climates is actually two different seasons. There's Breakup, when the snowpack melts off and rain starts to become a regular feature of the weather (as opposed to snow). Then there's Spring proper, or Blooming Season, when the grass is green, flowers are in bloom, and it's mild to warm most of the time, with frost or ephemeral snow occurring occasionally. These two seasons could be referred to as the first and second stages of Spring.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,389,320 times
Quote:
For sake buxton is only 200 miles away. Dear god
Buffalo is 18 miles from Niagara and records 60-110cm more snow annually (depending on the station)

Last edited by Humid Subtropical; 02-28-2013 at 01:19 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,668,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I prefer a later, cooler Spring, though not necessarily slow (a Spring that drags on from February to June is a real drag). I prefer March to be full-on winter. At that point I'm not ready for Spring. I'd like the snowpack to diminish in April along with some warm spells and rain (plus a bit of sun), but still some big wet snows occurring. By May most of the snow should be gone, with a few minor snows occurring through the rest of the month, and the second stage of Spring (blooming and so forth) taking hold by the end of the month. This would ideally be followed by a pleasantly warm summer (highs in the 60's) which would resemble late Spring in a balanced climate.

As you might guess I prefer a cooler climate than what I'd consider the norm, which is a balanced four season climate, featuring a real summer (warmth and heat dominant), a real winter (cold and snow dominant), plus two transition seasons (Spring and Autumn). In that scenario the snowpack would break up in March, followed by the onset of blooming season sometime later in April, with summery weather (warmth and heat dominate) not really taking hold until June.

It's worth noting that in a sense Spring in continental climates is actually two different seasons. There's Breakup, when the snowpack melts off and rain starts to become a regular feature of the weather (as opposed to snow). Then there's Spring proper, or Blooming Season, when the grass is green, flowers are in bloom, and it's mild to warm most of the time, with frost or ephemeral snow occurring occasionally. These two seasons could be referred to as the first and second stages of Spring.
Considering you're such a big cold fan I'm surprised you haven't been posting epic winter pictures and giving us updates on what it's like where you live - how much snow do you have where you are now?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, it is rare. It's nearly unheard of.
Don't be silly.

You are at 41 N not 60N.

The transition between winter and spring is VERY quick here. Daylight hours increase dramatically and by around mid-april the chance of snow dramatically reduce.

Sun is too strong by mid-march for to last any long period of time unless its really really cold up above.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,568,079 times
Quote:
Don't be silly.

You are at 41 N not 60N.

The transition between winter and spring is VERY quick here. Daylight hours increase dramatically and by around mid-april the chance of snow dramatically reduce.

Sun is too strong by mid-march for to last any long period of time unless its really really cold up above.
I was referring to two weeks of near 70s weather not snow, that doesn't happen normally in March anywhere in the region, I know my climate rather well. Latitude is only one of many factors controlling climate.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
Buffalo is 18 miles from Niagara and records 60-110cm more snow annually (depending on the station)
Lake.

Also temperatures will still not differ too much.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,241,383 times
Quote:

It will be reaching those temps by the end of march I bet.
It was the warmest March on record, so yes, it is rare. Maybe one day near 70 F towards the end of the month isn't unheard of, but nearly two weeks in the early and mid part of the month with highs well into the 70s was highly unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather