Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 AM

44 posts, read 133,742 times

Advertisements

Hi,

As a woman, I was always wondering: What do men really think about the whole engagement ring tradition? I've been reading on a female wedding/engagement board for a while and it seems like that most women want their man to spend thousands of dollars on an engagement ring. On top of that, there are several who complain that she doesn't like the ring and they need to change it for another one, or she wants to pick one herself. And, of course, it HAS to be a diamond (because DeBeers says you have to have a diamond *eyeroll*).

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not from the US, but I find this whole thing ridiculous and I wonder how many guys are actually out there who find this perfectly normal. If I was a man, I would NEVER spend thousands of Dollars on a ring. If she wants a ring fine, why not, but for sure not something that expensive. If she wants something more expensive, why doesn't she buy it herself? I'm not judging anyone who is very much into jewelry and therefore wants a more expensive piece, but why not buy it yourself then? I could name at least a hundred things I'd rather spend 5000 bucks on than a ring. And I would never expect a man to buy me an expensive ring. If he wants to spend a couple of thousand bucks on me, I'd tell him invest that in our honeymoon, other trips or use it as a downpayment for an apartment or so.

Men, I'd love to hear your opinion on this. What do you think about expensive engagement ring? Did you get one for your wife? Will you get one for your future wife? Will you get one only because SHE wants it or what's the reasoning behind this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:07 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Don't believe everything you read on a site like that. Those sites encourage many things that are actually done by some but not others. Any real man will get the ring he can afford to pay for with cash, without using a credit card or without taking out a loan and any real woman who loves that man will accept it gracefully for the symbol it represents.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times
The whole thing about men having to kneel down in a begging position asking to marry them with an expensive ring sounds a bit sexist to me. Isn't this supposed to be something that involves TWO PEOPLE and not just one (the woman)?

My wife is not American either. She even thought about getting me a ring we both could wear but after seeing how much they can cost we both decided to spend that money instead in a longer honeymoon and upgrade our hotel a bit. We just didn’t like the idea of having thousands of dollars wrapped around our fingers with something that is just a mere symbol. We got rings but there are nothing fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
...any real woman who loves that man will accept it gracefully for the symbol it represents.

^^^

Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,729 times
I'm a woman but i wanted to chime in because i agree 100%. I'd rather put the money toward a down payment on a house. Honestly, i would never spend that much money on my boyfriend so i don't expect him to spend that on me. if i change my mind later on and want something expensive, then i'm down to split it with him as we make close to the same salary.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:10 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i'm a woman but i wanted to chime in because i agree 100%. I'd rather put the money toward a down payment on a house. Honestly, i would never spend that much money on my boyfriend so i don't expect him to spend that on me.

^^^

Old 01-06-2016, 11:10 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Well you sound like an awesome catch!! Very practical.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:11 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Don't believe everything you read on a site like that. Those sites encourage many things that are actually done by some but not others. Any real man will get the ring he can afford to pay for with cash, without using a credit card or without taking out a loan and any real woman who loves that man will accept it gracefully for the symbol it represents.
that is a great way to look at it. i agree.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:19 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
My advice would be if a woman is expecting you to spend a lot of money on a ring, even if it means you go broke or into significant debt, just to prove your love and commitment to her, then run. Run fast.

I would never enter a long-term relationship with someone so high maintenance and shallow. It's not about how expensive the rock is, as much as how much financial strain it could put on the man. If you can afford it, go for it, but if you need to spend big in order to get a definite "yes" from her, then the marriage probably won't work.

I know the correlation between expensive weddings and divorce rates, so I wonder if there's a similar one with wedding rings and divorce rates.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
I don't think about them because I have no one I'm thinking about getting engaged to.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
If the Mr. had shown up with an expensive ring I would have turned him down flat. Not just because of the money spent, but because it would be obvious that he didn't know me at all. A ring wasn't necessary at all to me, but ignored me and presented a very small, budget-conscious ring; I've lost count of how many times I've been asked when I was going to get an "upgrade" . I love it just the way it is, and wouldn't dream of changing it; the sentimental value of that knucklehead secretly selling his baseball card collection to pay for it... priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings