Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:04 AM

173 posts, read 681,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
Well, unfortately, there is nothing at all in Boca that can be classified as being rural, as much as I'd like it to be so. It's pretty much urban on the coast to suburban on the west side right up until you hit the Everglades, and then there's nothing.

But there is plenty of suburban areas in West Boca, and contrary to popular belief, you can buy an attractive home in a great neighborhood in the $350K or less range there, if you know the right spot.

There are a few places in West Boca where you can definetly afford a single family home in the low $300,000 range. The Sandalfoot homes east of US 441 (not Sandalfoot west of US 441, which are all trailer homes and I wouldn't suggest those at all) and the Palmetto Pines community both have affordable homes in decent neighborhoods. They are older homes, however, (they look to be built in the 1960s and 1970s) and it's not the super-manicured, country-club looking homes that you might find in other parts of Boca. Still, all in all they are decent neighborhoods with no major problems.

If you want to go for a little more money and homes which are newer, I would suggest the area west of US 441 between Palmetto Park Road and Glades Road (the Mission Bay, Loggers Run and Bay Winds super communities). My wife and I moved here after selling our condo and it is just terrific, and we got a great home in a great neighborhood for a little under $350k. You've got some good parks and quiet residential neighborhoods here. Shopping is pretty good for your necessities--we've got a newer Publix and another shopping center across the street, and you are just two minutes away from US 441 which has everything (Target, Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, multiple Walgreens and CVS, Borders, Best Buy, movies, etc.).

Two neighborhoods which are very nice but affordable (within the $350k price range for most houses) include Country Landings and Ashley Park. Country Landings actually has three sections, all single story 3 and 4 bedroom houses. It is between Palmetto and Glades off of Oriole Country Road. There's actually a reasonable amount of shade and trees in Country Landings, something you don't always find in all Boca communities.

Ashley Park is inside the Boca Winds community near the end of Palmetto Park Road. It is somewhat subdivided into two sections, but both have basically the same style houses. There are two story 4 and 5 bedroom homes, but also a lot of single story 3 bedroom homes which can be found at a great price. Extremely nice and quiet community. Not gated, but if you ask me, the gated communities are a rip-off anyways, so you aren't missing much.

I don't know if you are coming in with any sort of equity to put down on a new home, but if you are looking for something both affordable and nice, you can't go wrong with either Country Landings or Ashley Park.

I'm not worried if there is no rural areas or not. I am fine with suburban areas. I don't care if the homes are super-manicured or not, or if they were built in the 60s or not, as long as I can at least get something decent that I can work on and fix up, then it is fine with me....as long as the house isn't trast and there isn't too much wrong with it that is.

A few months back, I did a search on boca homes within the 350k price range, and surprisingly I found a good bit of nice homes that are affordable and can easily be manicured. However, despite all of that, I still kept hearing people say that it is too expensive to live in Boca. Those people that I've heard this from may not have did their research thoroughly.

In references to what THX 1138 said, I am not a college student like most my age, so my money will not be spent on paying loans back. I am a good conserver of money like I previously mentioned, so saving and paying bills on time is no issue at all for me. I understand what you mean about the insurance, hoa fees, and all that other stuff though.

Actually, I heard from 1 or 2 people that Boca is no more expensive than say, Ft. Lauderdale or any other city if you spend your money right and not go for a big fancy home. Somehow, I feel that makes more sense compared to what most other people say, because from what I've seen, alot of people in Boca (College graduates or not) do tons of spending that the average home owner couldn't handle and they have these big fancy homes (Which in turn raises property taxes and such). I believe that's why most people say that life in Boca Raton is too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 AM

458 posts, read 599,138 times
If I were a 22 year old college grad, I would rent for several years. Then scoop up a great house at a bargain price and have a nice financial cornerstone. I would go to the Housing Bubble Blog and educate myself as to why this market is poised for big trouble.

No way would I gamble on the S. FL. housing market right now with so much uncertainty and so many cheap rentals available. And you never know if you will be forced to move for various reasons and get stuck with a $350,000 house that is worth less than that in a few years.

You are in the position to either make a great financial decision or a very bad one.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
If I were a 22 year old college grad, I would rent for several years. Then scoop up a great house at a bargain price and have a nice financial cornerstone. I would go to the Housing Bubble Blog and educate myself as to why this market is poised for big trouble.

No way would I gamble on the S. FL. housing market right now with so much uncertainty and so many cheap rentals available. And you never know if you will be forced to move for various reasons and get stuck with a $350,000 house that is worth less than that in a few years.

You are in the position to either make a great financial decision or a very bad one.

What yur saying is right, but that uncertainty isn't just in S. Fl. It's EVERYWHERE. No matter where you go, you never know if you will be forced to move and stuck with a 350k home. That rule is not for just one state or city so why not take the risk? Right now I live in South Carolina. Housing here is about twice as cheap as it is down there in Florida, but there is a catch......Up here, you don't have any opprotunities. Not enough good jobs, not enough fun, no where to go, no variety of different people. The place is trash, full of country farmland and the jobs don't pay much. I'd rather take the risk of moving to S. Fl. than to continue life up here. I may have to pay more money, but at least I will have more opprotunities to have fun, to get more variety of jobs, and to experience a more advanced type of lifestyle. You see where I'm coming from now?

Not only that, but Florida is where I always wanted to be, so that is another reason why I'm willing to make that move. However, I am not willing to jump into anything stupid and bite off more than I can chew like most people my age and older are doing. I belive it is possible to thrive down there as long as one lives wisely and know how to work around the system. If I'd have to, I would rent the first few years if it's alot cheaper than owning a home. I'm totally fine with it. Anything is better than life up here.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 AM

713 posts, read 2,670,512 times
Default Building a home in Boca...

I don't believe you'll be able to build for that but you will be able to buy a nice place for that amount. Some fixing up and you've got a sweet home.

There are homes up and down W. Boca for 250,000 to 350,000. You'll have no problem finding a great deal on a great house. Boca is a great place to live, work and play. We've been here for years (moved elsewhere and came back) and I recommend it highly, esp. to law abiding people who want to live a decent life.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:15 PM

345 posts, read 976,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
I'm not worried if there is no rural areas or not. I am fine with suburban areas. I don't care if the homes are super-manicured or not, or if they were built in the 60s or not, as long as I can at least get something decent that I can work on and fix up, then it is fine with me....as long as the house isn't trast and there isn't too much wrong with it that is.

A few months back, I did a search on boca homes within the 350k price range, and surprisingly I found a good bit of nice homes that are affordable and can easily be manicured. However, despite all of that, I still kept hearing people say that it is too expensive to live in Boca. Those people that I've heard this from may not have did their research thoroughly.

In references to what THX 1138 said, I am not a college student like most my age, so my money will not be spent on paying loans back. I am a good conserver of money like I previously mentioned, so saving and paying bills on time is no issue at all for me. I understand what you mean about the insurance, hoa fees, and all that other stuff though.

Actually, I heard from 1 or 2 people that Boca is no more expensive than say, Ft. Lauderdale or any other city if you spend your money right and not go for a big fancy home. Somehow, I feel that makes more sense compared to what most other people say, because from what I've seen, alot of people in Boca (College graduates or not) do tons of spending that the average home owner couldn't handle and they have these big fancy homes (Which in turn raises property taxes and such). I believe that's why most people say that life in Boca Raton is too expensive.
You're probably right as to Boca versus other places in South Florida. Of course, other areas of Florida you can probably get the same size house for $100k less, but that's another issue all together.

It all breaks down to priorities. If you aren't the person who needs the latest furniture, appliances, gadgets, etc., and you aren't a person who needs to drive a high end car, you'll be able to afford more into the house than someone who needs all that "stuff".

There are most certainly places in Boca $350k and less, places that are nice, so I wouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
You're probably right as to Boca versus other places in South Florida. Of course, other areas of Florida you can probably get the same size house for $100k less, but that's another issue all together.

It all breaks down to priorities. If you aren't the person who needs the latest furniture, appliances, gadgets, etc., and you aren't a person who needs to drive a high end car, you'll be able to afford more into the house than someone who needs all that "stuff".

There are most certainly places in Boca $350k and less, places that are nice, so I wouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Exactly my point! Finally a reasonable answer. The people that I have talked to before, I told them that I am not the type who likes to keep up with the jones and have no need for high end stuff, but they still insisted on the fact that life in Boca is too expensive. So when you said what you said above, it gave me some hope that it is affordable after all. Besides insurance, property taxes, HOA, and such, it just depends on the person's wants.

So, I guess I will make my move to Boca next year. Thanks PeteU and Houses4Sale for shedding light on this situation.

Oh by the way, my first year or so down there, I was planning on renting until I can get on my feet and actually own a home. However, I have heard alot of people saying that you may as well buy a home in Boca rather than renting one there because the cost is about the same..... What is true about this?

Last edited by rickyd; 09-05-2007 at 01:51 PM..

Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
still kept hearing people say that it is too expensive to live in Boca. Those people that I've heard this from may not have did their research thoroughly.
Those are very modest homes that would be much cheaper in other areas of Palm Beach County. In Boca ANYTHING is more expensive than in Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, etc. regardless of how nice it is or not.

However, the communities of Boca have stayed far more safer than most others in the entire county.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:15 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:

So you have $350K+ in cash now to pay off a home? No College Degree and/or a high paying salary? It's very uncommon to be 22 and have that much money saved, that is if you earned it yourself doing something legit.

Now there are plenty of lotto winners, trust funders or those that got a substantial inheritance from a relative that can do it. Now if your looking to finance, good luck. Even with good credit Lenders are saying no, with a lot to put down it helps. If you have 10% to put down, you still need to show a source of income to qualify. What do you plan to do for a living here, this is the worse place to live if your a miser but it can be done but elsewhere for a lot cheaper.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
So you have $350K+ in cash now to pay off a home? No College Degree and/or a high paying salary? It's very uncommon to be 22 and have that much money saved, that is if you earned it yourself doing something legit.

Now there are plenty of lotto winners, trust funders or those that got a substantial inheritance from a relative that can do it. Now if your looking to finance, good luck. Even with good credit Lenders are saying no, with a lot to put down it helps. If you have 10% to put down, you still need to show a source of income to qualify. What do you plan to do for a living here, this is the worse place to live if your a miser but it can be done but elsewhere for a lot cheaper.
No I don't have that money now. That is why I said it will have to be next year sometime before I can move. It's not just me alone either. My girlfriend is hepling out too. If it was just me alone, I know for a fact that I couldn't do it that soon. lol. Most people can't do it alone down there. Not STARTING OUT anyway.

I haven't put down for a home or anything yet, so I haven't lost anything at all. I am still in the researching process and that in itself is not easy because I don't live down in Florida, so I have to depend on what others say for right now.

PBCboy, how much more cheaper is it to live in Delray and Boynton than in Boca? You know, just a few minutes ago, I was thinking about these two areas as well. What all do you know about them as far as safety, trouble causing youths, neighborhoods, and cost of living? Any other info on those 2 areas would help too.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:44 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,512 times
Default You can always do a rent/lease to buy/own option...

You rent w/the idea that after a year, some of your rent money goes toward ownership of the house. But don't enter into this unless it's in a house that you could see yourself own. Also, there is the option that if you change your mind, you do not have to buy the house.

I would also go through a realtor for this process as they know the ins and outs to protect you whereas if you go it on your own, you may not get all you could if you were represented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach