Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM

173 posts, read 680,859 times

Advertisements

That is pretty darn good that he makes enough money to make it alone in FL. Seriously. What kind of job does he have? The majority of people that I know that live in FL. have decent jobs and are still struggling, but then again, these same people (Mostly my family) I am speaking of are the ones who spend foolishly, so that plays a part as well.

I seriously appreciate your help here House4sale. I am just recently aware of the rent to own option to be honest and was thinking about considering doing that instead of trying to rent an apartment. That way, I can get used to the home and generate enough money so that when I buy it after a year of renting it, I will have the money to go ahead and make the changes that I want. That is a pretty good option. That is, if the previous owner wants to go that route.

For right now though, I have a question regarding my ideal neighborhood.......My girlfriend and I are interested in suburban neighborhoods that are very well shaded by oak or pine trees along with palm trees. The neighborhood doesn't have to be upscale or near country clubs or anything. It's just the natural setting that we're attracted to. We're not interested in areas governed by HOAs though. Are there any neighborhoods like that in West Boca?

Last edited by rickyd; 09-09-2007 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 11:21 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
You actually would want HOI, the neighborhoods that don't have them often turn to crap.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:20 PM

129 posts, read 478,103 times
Yes I do have to agrree with PBCboy you should go into a Home owner Ascs. Even though it can be a pain in the butt. However it does help with keeping the community looking nice. I live in one.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:32 PM

129 posts, read 478,103 times
Back again, in Boca most places have HOA. As for the ones that do not have HOA you really do not want to move in that section. It is not kept up. In west and east Boca we only have Palm Trees.Forget about natural settings. We build and put homes in not considering the trees. Only how many homes can be built. Suggestion, I am not sure why you are considering Boca. If you want more of a natural setting you might want to consider Crystal River area I think that is in the upper middle area of Fl. My best friend looked there. She leaves in Southern Fl. She said it was very nice and the people were nice. Homes seemed to be less in that area also. Good Luck and you have great question
ICELADY Hope this helped

Old 09-09-2007, 05:15 PM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times
I lived in the Boca Chase dev. off 441 and Clint Moore for 7 years before moving up to St Aug last year. Insurance was eating us alive. $5k for a $15k deductible with 0 claims EVER. We liked the community and the area, but we have small children now a we made a move to a more rural, less materialist for our own reasons. I would just advise to rent first to get the lay of the land to see what area suits you.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelady View Post
Back again, in Boca most places have HOA. As for the ones that do not have HOA you really do not want to move in that section. It is not kept up. In west and east Boca we only have Palm Trees.Forget about natural settings. We build and put homes in not considering the trees. Only how many homes can be built. Suggestion, I am not sure why you are considering Boca. If you want more of a natural setting you might want to consider Crystal River area I think that is in the upper middle area of Fl. My best friend looked there. She leaves in Southern Fl. She said it was very nice and the people were nice. Homes seemed to be less in that area also. Good Luck and you have great question
ICELADY Hope this helped

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The more info, the better I always say. Icelady, when I say natural settings, I'm not talking about anything rural or watever. I should've made my self clearer, sorry. I'm basically talking about neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and have consideriable amounts of shading by them. Sorry, I don't know how to describe it any clearer. I have seen photos of those type of areas I am describing in East Boca photos, but haven't seen any pics of west Boca, so I dunno.

As for HOA, how much do you guys usally have to pay? Also, when you're governed by HOAs, you can't change the outside appearance of your home or anything in your yard or something like that right? Someone told me that it doesn't affect the inside appearance of the home though, for example, if you want to get different carpet put in or watever. I still prefer to avoid that if possible. The less fees, the better. If the fee isn't all that bad, then it's fine, but if it is something crazy then I need to avoid it as I am just starting out and need as less fees as possible.

As far as choices of cities go, Boca is my primary choice and has been for years, so it's kind of hard for me to be turned away from the idea and I know that alot of you have noticed that by now. lol. However, if it doesn't work out, my backup choices are Plantation, Delray Beach, and Hollywood. I've heard alot about Delray and Hollywood. What turns me off about them are the bad areas and gangs, plus I heard the schools are bad as well. Seriously, that alone is a turn off but at the same time I am so attracted to the areas. As for Plantation, I heard it is just like Boca but not as uptight and upscale. I don't know how much more or less expensive it is to live in Plan. compared to Boca though. I don't know which one would be a better bargain.

Last edited by rickyd; 09-09-2007 at 07:45 PM..

Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 PM

9 posts, read 69,172 times
Thumbs down Another viewpoint

Just out of curiosity, why are you interested in Boca?

I've lived in this area for more than ten years, am a well-paid professional, and frankly you couldn't pay me to live in Boca Raton...though my office is located in it's heart and I visit there each day.

You will pay a minimum of a +15-20% premium to live in Boca, as compared to similar properties in nearby areas like Delray, Lake Worth, Deerfield, or West Palm Beach. And not just property...taxes, fuel, groceries, and even McDonald's are all more expensive in Boca.

The primary difference is one of lifestyle and tastes. All the aforementioned nearby towns have actual "downtown" districts that grew up organically over time, complete with local shops, retailers, restaurants, bars, and so forth. There is very, very little to be had in Boca aside from strip malls and chain restaurants. Boca is largely a "planned community" that did not in any sense really exist before the mid 1980's.

As well, if you are looking at maintaining a "low key" lifestyle, you simply could not find a more inappropriate place than Boca Raton. However, if you're interested in wearing Versace jeans, drinking $15 martinis, getting a facelift and driving a Porsche on the other hand...then Boca is certainly the place for you.

Much of the "professional" population in Boca is from the Northeast Corridor, and many are semi-retired or financial professionals of questionable integrity that would would be happy to sell you a nicely-priced bridge as a retirement investment.

Penny Stocks and shady financial trading has made Boca famous...or rather infamous. A recent report from the SEC had an interesting comment. It labelled Federal Highway in Boca Raton as "...one of the few places in Florida where there are more sharks on land than in the water."

There are very few locals in the 20-35 age group in Boca, primarily because the city lacks character and is very expensive relative to it's nearby cousins.

Point being, if you are interested in a laid-back lifestyle, acquaintences concerned with substance instead of style, local mom-and-pop shops, and towns with genuine character...as opposed to mass-marketed blandness and generic corporate culture...and especially if you are concerned with affordable housing and an inexpensive lifestyle, neither West nor East Boca Raton is the place for you.

Consider Boynton, Lantana, Lake Worth, or West Palm Beach instead. You will have plenty of wonderful choices in those areas.

Last edited by ikemcfadden; 09-09-2007 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-09-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikemcfadden View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are you interested in Boca?

I've lived in this area for more than ten years, am a well-paid professional, and frankly you couldn't pay me to live in Boca Raton...though my office is located in it's heart and I visit there each day.

You will pay a minimum of a +15-20% premium to live in Boca, as compared to similar properties in nearby areas like Delray, Lake Worth, Deerfield, or West Palm Beach. And not just property...taxes, fuel, groceries, and even McDonald's are all more expensive in Boca.

The primary difference is one of lifestyle and tastes. All the aforementioned nearby towns have actual "downtown" districts that grew up organically over time, complete with local shops, retailers, restaurants, bars, and so forth. There is very, very little to be had in Boca aside from strip malls and chain restaurants. Boca is largely a "planned community" that did not in any sense really exist before the mid 1980's.

As well, if you are looking at maintaining a "low key" lifestyle, you simply could not find a more inappropriate place than Boca Raton. However, if you're interested in wearing Versace jeans, drinking $15 martinis, getting a facelift and driving a Porsche on the other hand...then Boca is certainly the place for you.

Much of the "professional" population in Boca is from the Northeast Corridor, and many are semi-retired or financial professionals of questionable integrity that would would be happy to sell you a nicely-priced bridge as a retirement investment.

Penny Stocks and shady financial trading has made Boca famous...or rather infamous. A recent report from the SEC had an interesting comment. It labelled Federal Highway in Boca Raton as "...one of the few places in Florida where there are more sharks on land than in the water."

There are very few locals in the 20-35 age group in Boca, primarily because the city lacks character and is very expensive relative to it's nearby cousins.

Point being, if you are interested in a laid-back lifestyle, acquaintences concerned with substance instead of style, local mom-and-pop shops, and towns with genuine character...as opposed to mass-marketed blandness and generic corporate culture...and especially if you are concerned with affordable housing and an inexpensive lifestyle, neither West nor East Boca Raton is the place for you.

Consider Boynton, Lantana, Lake Worth, or West Palm Beach instead. You will have plenty of wonderful choices in those areas.
Hi, thanks for bringing this up. I am glad you are being honest about the downfalls to life in Boca. If you have more, don't hold back. To answer your question, the reason I chose Boca is primarily because it is one city that has a combination of qualities that I like that I can't find in other cities, minus the expensiveness though. However, if stuff like Mcdonalds and all that is more expensive then I see where you and others are coming from. I know that alot of people exaggerate but when it comes to this situation, I don't know what to believe.

As far as those other cities that you mentioned, sorry, but those are some of the worst choices possible. I wouldn't live in those cities if my life depended on it.

As mentioned before, Plantation is another area I am considering....I heard people say that Plantation is Broward's version of Boca, which from what I've seen, it is so true, because I went there for a visit sometime last year and I fell in love with it. However, is Plantation anything like Boca as far as expenses go? I sure hope not.

Last edited by rickyd; 09-09-2007 at 10:57 PM..

Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
Most of them are HOA but they are not all that bad. And we can change the outside of a house to a degree. Some people have put up front entryway gates, front patios or porches and you def. can do the kind of trees and shrubbery you want on your property etc. And just so long as paint colors aren't pink and blue polka dots, wild and crazy, then colors are usually approved. Yes, HOA's generally keep the 'hood looking nice.

My guy is in construction but then he has been for a long time. We live modestly but not poorly. Not alot of bling and designer perfumes for every occasion or whim. But then we do have an occasional dinner at Morton's Steak House on special events or stuff like that. I love my life in West Boca.

Things are changing though and it has become very multi-cultural. Not like Miami or Orlando (where I cannot believe what I hear about that city) but, well, multi-cultural. If that's good with you, you are set. Then there are wonderful job opportunities that some other towns do not have. And there is enough money in this town to keep it nice.

As for coconut and plams, we have them lining many streets and shopping areas. I love the way they look against a teal night. (You can search my posts and see the photo I posted of the palm trees against a southern night). Beautiful.

I can't speak for anyone else but I tried elsewhere and came right back to Boca. Yes, rent then buy but make sure you do the later before the prices go up. You have time before that happens.

St. Augustine is very nice but I see the town more for families than young, hip, metro types and couples but maybe that's just my opinion.

Last edited by House4Sale; 09-09-2007 at 11:21 PM..

Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
"...However, if you're interested in wearing Versace jeans, drinking $15 martinis, getting a facelift and driving a Porsche on the other hand...then Boca is certainly the place for you."

See, we don't do any of the above and are very happy watching everyone else go overboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach