Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM

122 posts, read 314,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Andrews View Post
Yep, I started listening to it after I gave up WQAM-AM radio, and we all started going into the FM scene I was into my 8 tracks, albums, and SHE, boy that's going way back.... But before "She" it was WQAM AM outta Miami, remember that one?
WQAM is Florida's oldest station, started in the 1920's. The other rock station from the 70s and 80s was WZTA - or Zeta4 - which was quite popular. It went off the air for a couple of years and then came back again. There was also WGTR or GTR in the 80s. Lasted a short while too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
Remember they had Psychadelic Sunday?

Old 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM

Yes! I want to check it out next time I come down. Ladies drink for free!!-that would kill me now.
Don't remember Dante's but it sounds like somewhere I would have liked .

Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 PM

Yes. Where the gigantic Marina Grande is now. SOB!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,043 times
This is an old topic but I definitely remember some of this stuff, I lived in PBC until I went to college around 1997.

- Polar Cup, definitely the best frozen treat ever! We used to go there all the time in the summer if we were near Congress Ave. In fact the only reason I ever found this City Data website was because I was googling Polar Cup and found some topic where people on this forum were talking about it.
- I remember Luria's, getting buzzed in was definitely weird.
- I remember the Barefoot Mailman store
- I remember when the Palm Beach mall was pretty normal, I haven't been there in years but I guess it's pretty ghetto by now. People seem to say that about the Boynton Beach mall too, that one was definitely a bit nicer than the PB Mall.
- I remember the Cross County Mall still being open even though it was a dump
- I remember Taco Viva, my dad would sometimes get food there. My favorite mall food was always Cozzoli's Pizza, do they still have them? Also I remember a pizza place in one of the malls called the Orange Bowl that I liked but I think it closed after a while.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 AM

122 posts, read 314,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
This is an old topic but I definitely remember some of this stuff, I lived in PBC until I went to college around 1997.

- Polar Cup, definitely the best frozen treat ever! We used to go there all the time in the summer if we were near Congress Ave. In fact the only reason I ever found this City Data website was because I was googling Polar Cup and found some topic where people on this forum were talking about it.
- I remember Luria's, getting buzzed in was definitely weird.
- I remember the Barefoot Mailman store
- I remember when the Palm Beach mall was pretty normal, I haven't been there in years but I guess it's pretty ghetto by now. People seem to say that about the Boynton Beach mall too, that one was definitely a bit nicer than the PB Mall.
- I remember the Cross County Mall still being open even though it was a dump
- I remember Taco Viva, my dad would sometimes get food there. My favorite mall food was always Cozzoli's Pizza, do they still have them? Also I remember a pizza place in one of the malls called the Orange Bowl that I liked but I think it closed after a while.
Barefoot Mailman had a sister store in Westland mall in Hialeah many moons ago. The Palm Beach Mall closed early last year. I don't know if they tore it down but Penney's and Georges Music are the only ones left. Polar Cup was quite good and was available in many areas of Florida in the 80s. Taco Viva also had quite decent Tacos, far superior to TB back in the day. I don't know if any Cozzoli's are left in the tri-county area but the one in the Palm Beach Mall was excellent. They had some of the best pizza in the region. The crust was thin and it was just the right amount of cheese and sauce. It was the only place that I tried in Florida that even came close to NYC pizza.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmbdude View Post
Barefoot Mailman had a sister store in Westland mall in Hialeah many moons ago. The Palm Beach Mall closed early last year. I don't know if they tore it down but Penney's and Georges Music are the only ones left. Polar Cup was quite good and was available in many areas of Florida in the 80s. Taco Viva also had quite decent Tacos, far superior to TB back in the day. I don't know if any Cozzoli's are left in the tri-county area but the one in the Palm Beach Mall was excellent. They had some of the best pizza in the region. The crust was thin and it was just the right amount of cheese and sauce. It was the only place that I tried in Florida that even came close to NYC pizza.

The Palm Beach mall officially closed January 31, 2010. It was dying a long slow death long before that. It was still good though around 2000 - 2001.

The building is still there. Only JC Penney, George's Music, and the auto repair place remain open on the property, which is currently in litigation involving the new owners. Lots of things have been suggested for the property, including trying to lure IKEA, or Bass Pro Shop, or an outlet mall concept.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:09 PM

Is there still a trolley system in Lake Worth? When I was a very young kid my mom would take us on the trolley to downtown sometimes, I remember it was free and one of the trolleys was called Lolly the Trolley. Also I remember seeing Cotrans buses which I guess was the predecessor to PalmTran.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:19 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
Parties at Boca Inlet, pre-development.

Driving home at night, trying to avoid running over the land crabs that scurried across A1A. That always creeped me out. While I never knew it to happen to anyone, we always heard that running over them could pop your tires.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:20 PM

How about getting sea lice in the summer...it was always a pain because if you're a Floridian summer is the only time that it's really worth going to the beach (less crowds, the water is warm but refreshing compared to how hot the weather is), but then you go and pretty soon your whole lower torso is itchy like all hell. At some point someone came up with meat tenderizer as a remedy...and it did work! Though I wonder what it does to your skin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach