Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times

Advertisements

Tamarind is a very dangerous area. I can't say for sure that all 'numbered' streets are unsafe but from what I know about West Palm Beach, Tamarind Ave (and a few others) are well known high crime areas. I used to volunteer at this one mental health agency when I was in grad school- providing services to many homeless individuals. We spent a bit of time in that location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM

584 posts, read 1,688,556 times
I saw the Tamarind area using Google Maps, the area is in bad shape. There's also a video on UTube introducing Tamarind and claiming Tamarind is one of the most dangerous areas in WPB.

I also saw Utube videos of street fights and shootings in certain neighbourhood in WPB.

I think it is very important that kids and teenagers (males) get proper guidances or else disasters are waiting to happen to some of them ...

Old 03-14-2012, 06:46 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I saw the Tamarind area using Google Maps, the area is in bad shape. There's also a video on UTube introducing Tamarind and claiming Tamarind is one of the most dangerous areas in WPB.

I also saw Utube videos of street fights and shootings in certain neighbourhood in WPB.

I think it is very important that kids and teenagers (males) get proper guidances or else disasters are waiting to happen to some of them ...

The northend section of West Palm (north of about Banyan, which Tamarind runs straight through, going north from Banyan) is responsible for 50% of all crime stats in the city. (Other areas in the city include downtown, the southend, the Villages and the Western Communities). Don't get me wrong, there ARE some very nice neighborhoods up there (Old Northwood, etc.).

BTW: Tamarind starts getting bad at Banyan. Inbetween Okeechobee Blvd and Banyan, being on Tamarind is no problem, as it borders Cityplace, the naval reserve station building and federal courthouse, the train station, and a very nice and nationally ranked highschool. But I'm just nitpicking here

Unfortunately, one of the major arteries into downtown West Palm that a lot of non-residents use (Palm Beach Lakes Blvd) runs straight through the northend area, and that area makes the news quite a bit, so it's some of the only experience people have with the city. If you didn't know any better (most don't), you'd think it was all like that.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 AM

Another double murder in WPB (Boyton Beach), numbered streets neighbourhood again, is it really that bad !??

Two Boynton Beach sisters shot to death; city police investigating

Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Another double murder in WPB (Boyton Beach), numbered streets neighbourhood again, is it really that bad !??

Two Boynton Beach sisters shot to death; city police investigating

There is no per se correlation between "numbered streets" in Palm Beach County and whether or not it's a bad area.

Boynton Beach is a suburban city of West Palm Beach, with a quite large of population in its own right. Portions of its eastern side are historically impoverished.

Remember in the American south, there was segregation up until the 1960s. These patterns still affect neighborhoods to this day. The newer cities will have less such patterns (or nonexistent).

Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There is no per se correlation between "numbered streets" in Palm Beach County and whether or not it's a bad area.

Boynton Beach is a suburban city of West Palm Beach, with a quite large of population in its own right. Portions of its eastern side are historically impoverished.

Remember in the American south, there was segregation up until the 1960s. These patterns still affect neighborhoods to this day. The newer cities will have less such patterns (or nonexistent).
Thank you for more US history, especially American South. I always thought segregation was wiped out after the American civil war when I was a kid, then I heard more about segregation in the South the more I learned about American history until I saw an American movie with a background dated back prior to the 60's.

It seems to me that it might take long time, perhaps centuries, to improve the situation. I wonder if easy access to guns plays a big role in the high crime rates in the US !?

I still don't understand why guns are so easily possessed in the US !?

Last edited by Snowbird100; 03-18-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you for more US history, especially American South. I always thought segregation was wiped out after the American civil war when I was a kid, then I heard more about segregation in the South the more I learned about American history until I saw an American movie with a background dated back prior to the 60's.
The legacy is just that a lot of historically black areas continue to be black, since that's where families have had roots for generations. Ironically, the end of segregation brought about a lot of downfall of black businesses in black communities, as those businesses now had to compete with larger white businsses for the first time.

Nowadays, some of the worst parts of the south will be devoid of economic activity at all. Really quite sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100
It seems to me that it might take long time, perhaps centuries, to improve the situation. I wonder if easy access to guns plays a big role in the high crime rates in the US !?

I still don't understand why guns are so easily possessed in the US !?

The second amendment, plus the development history of the country... plus the fact that any effort to significantly restrict or confiscate personal firearms would result in a political maelstrom. People here believe in the doctrine that if you take away guns from law abiding citizens, only criminals will have guns.

At any rate, more info on the story of the women killed:

"Detectives have no reason to believe that this was a random shooting or a home invasion," police spokeswoman Stephanie Slater said in a news release. Police Chief Matt Immler will speak to the media at 2 p.m.
[...]

There is no indication that anything was taken from the home, south of Gateway Boulevard and between Seacrest Boulevard and Federal Highway.

"Daphne was afraid something terrible would happen," Clemons' sister-in-law, Helen Clemons, said today. She said a teenage relative may have been involved in gang activity.

And there's that missing piece. It's not that random acts of murder doesn't occur... but it's not something most normal people, engaging in normal, every day activities, usually have to be concerned with.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Thank you for more info about the changes in America South, historically !

Though Canada and the US are very "similar", but if one digs more into the societies/communities of the 2 countries, they are quite "different" ! One of the main differences is Canada did not have something similar to the American civil war, I am talking about the nature of the American civil war and the consequences before and after the war ended.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Latest news:
Boynton Beach police chief: Sisters were targeted

Boynton Beach police chief: Sisters were targeted

Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM

22 posts, read 20,435 times
Quote:
Thank you for more info about the changes in America South, historically !

Though Canada and the US are very "similar", but if one digs more into the societies/communities of the 2 countries, they are quite "different" ! One of the main differences is Canada did not have something similar to the American civil war, I am talking about the nature of the American civil war and the consequences before and after the war ended.
Oh great, a thread about the differences between The U.S. and Canada. It started off as a thread about West Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach