Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Someone else said something about that above, also. I don't really get feeling unsafe being asked for money by a(n apparently) homeless person. They're not likely to do anything to you, they just need money and they're hoping you'll help them out. Some do not want to take "No" for an answer if you choose to not help them out, but that's understandable, too. They mostly get "No's" and it gets to be frustrating.

Usually homeless people are in far more danger from others (and the environment, and the inability to eat, get health care, and the fact that many have mental problems that led to them being homeless in the first place, many have substance problems, etc.) than folks are in danger from them. There have been many infamous incidents, including in Florida, of people beating up or even killing homeless people--they see the homeless as a good target as they're often difficult to identify and people figure that no one cares about them. Here's just one recent example: Florida Issues: Witness: I watched as homeless man was beaten to death

MY particular beef with the Philly homeless guy was that I was at the food court at the mall, ready to buy some food with my debit card. The homeless guy/beggar came up to me and asked me for some money. I told him I didn't have any (which was true. I didn't have any cash.) He had the GALL and NERVE to say, "I bet you have money to buy yourself food though" in an accusatory, angry tone.

I was flabbergasted. I told him unless he had a swipe machine in his pocket I couldn't give him any money. (And ya know what, damn right I would buy MYSELF food with MY money if I had it, lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,445 times
Default reponding to luckysnp

Why does everyone down here blame all the problems on New Yorkers, including the Attitude? I have experienced more attitude, poor drivers, ignorance and crime in the short time I've lived here then in the 36YEARS I lived in NY, INCLUDING part of that time in "The City"! Check the facts there is NOT ONE TOWN in Palm Beach County that is as safe as NYC and just like you wouldn't like all Southerners to be caracterized together not everyone who is from NY is rude. In fact that's one of the things I miss the most is how friendly and caring people were where we used to live. Here you are anonimous. Where do you drive that there's no traffic, Pahokee? By the way I am more proud after living here then ever before of my "Brooklyn" accent, which by the way different parts of NY have very different accents just like in the south you have different dialecs. I am planning on moving outside Atlanta in 2 weeks, after your posting I am having second thoughts!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 01:55 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6kids View Post
Why does everyone down here blame all the problems on New Yorkers, including the Attitude? I have experienced more attitude, poor drivers, ignorance and crime in the short time I've lived here then in the 36YEARS I lived in NY, INCLUDING part of that time in "The City"! Check the facts there is NOT ONE TOWN in Palm Beach County that is as safe as NYC and just like you wouldn't like all Southerners to be caracterized together not everyone who is from NY is rude. In fact that's one of the things I miss the most is how friendly and caring people were where we used to live. Here you are anonimous. Where do you drive that there's no traffic, Pahokee? By the way I am more proud after living here then ever before of my "Brooklyn" accent, which by the way different parts of NY have very different accents just like in the south you have different dialecs. I am planning on moving outside Atlanta in 2 weeks, after your posting I am having second thoughts!!!
Any city in Palm Beach County that has a large population of Long Islanders also, coincidentally, have a large population of rude people. It's an undisputed fact.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 AM

207 posts, read 940,321 times
Default 6kids

I pity you if you are moving to Atlanta, I am so glad to be away from there. Talk about CRIME! Atlanta's traffic is second only to LA, it hot in the summer and cold and grey in the winter. The pollen in the spring turns everything yellow, burns your eyes and feels gritty on your skin. The pollution level is so bad they have dangerous: "stay inside warning days". It is a very racially divided city.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:22 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary bedard View Post
I personally would stay away from anything North of Northlake Blvd. We moved here 10 years ago from OH. We bought a home in The Shores of Jupiter and love it here . Warm and friendly neighborhood and have made life long friends. I have been an ER Nurse for 26 years working in hospitals from Level 1 to Level 3 trauma. I started out working at St. Mary's Med Center because it is the only trauma center ( level 2) around. Next closest is in Delray Beach then Orlando and Palm Bay. I have also worked through a nursing agency for shifts at Good Sam's ER. Very hard to work there as a nurse. All the cabinets are locked for anything you need for patient care. Patients puking on the floor because you have to find you key to unlock the cabinet holding basins, etc...Are you moving here for a travel assignment? I noticed that there are alot of openings for this hospital . Makes you go Hmmmmmm. I hve been working for the past 6 years at Jupiter Med. Center and love it . Clean and friendly with a great dr/nurse relationships and respect. Am in the process of now moving to TX due to my husbands transfer. We had a ton more gsw/stabbing/rapes in OH than any other hospital I've ever worked at and I've worked as an ER RN in 6 different states. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.
Don't you mean *south* of Northlake Blvd?

Old 12-07-2008, 01:29 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6kids View Post
Well, I'm a PBC native, but my family is from PA. And I did live up there for 10 years, so I'm probably able to answer this.

From the southern view, NYC represents everything southerners hate. "Fast, Fast, Push, Push", "You I'm Joey-bagadonuts, I kick you arse, I can jumpy your sister but don't go near mine", etc. etc.

It's the in your face, "we're so tough and metropolitan" thing. In the back of any redneck is the thought, "yeah big mouth, push me too far and you'll be eating some well deserved buck shot", LOL!

The aggressiveness of the NYC culture (as it's perceived down there) is what's at the root of it. How much of that aggressiveness is factual, can't say. But having lived in both regions, I'd say the Philly, Jersey, NYC orbit is almost exactly as the southern rednecks perceive it in terms of attitude.

But then I lived in dense urban, poorer areas when up there. In a row house to be exact, to give you an idea. Can't say how suburban or upper class in those areas are. For example, some of my family now lives in Huntington Valley, which is reputed to be $$$. (Don't keep in touch much.) I suspect that's quite different from NYC as would be back woods PA or "upstate" New York.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:11 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
For example, some of my family now lives in Huntington Valley, which is reputed to be $$$. (Don't keep in touch much.)
Just curious if that was your decision, because they were defiled in some way.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Let's get back on topic.......WPB.
Debate ideas without criticizing people.
Stick to the TOS.

Frank D.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,723 times
i lived in south florida for 21 years before moving to nyc. i am 29 now. i hate nyc and can not wait to get back to florida in 2009. my fiance, who i met here is a born and raised long islander and he is amazing. i hate the stereotypical "i hate people from ny/long island" attitude.
anyways, south florida is AMAZING. yes, there are bad areas in wpb, my aunt actually balked at the idea of me living in wpb when i mentioned cheaper housing. first off, st mary's is unfortunately smack dab in the middle of a pretty undesirable neighborhood. you technically do not want to live off of or relatively near 45th street or blue heron. stay away from riviera beach. the apartments lining the water in lake park are honestly nice, i have had numerous friends of mine (attractive blonde girls in their mids 20s) live in that area for years with not a single concern or run-in. wellington is beautiful and the prices are so low since i have moved. if i were you i would rent a townhome there for a year and buy a house or townhome once you've decided that florida is for you and that you enjoy the area you're staying in enough to commit to ownership. traffic in the area is not bad at all and even with a 20 minute drive to work, i think you'd rather know you're in a good area and not a bad. driving home from st mary's in the middle of the night after a 12 hour shift will only show your husband that the surrounding area is not where you guys would like to live. good luck!!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5* View Post
if i were you i would rent a townhome there for a year and buy a house or townhome once you've decided that florida is for you and that you enjoy the area you're staying in enough to commit to ownership.
I increasingly think that is a good idea too. At the very least because someone not from the area won't know the various neighborhoods that well when they first move there. I'd say rent for at least a year AND make sure that shortly after you get there, you do a lot of sightseeing, shopping, etc. on your time off from work. Try to see things in as many different areas as you can, so you get an idea what different neighborhoods are like and decide which ones might fit you best long term.
Quote:
driving home from st mary's in the middle of the night after a 12 hour shift will only show your husband that the surrounding area is not where you guys would like to live.
Not that someone would want to live there, but on the other hand, I worked at St. Mary's for awhile, and also dated an ER nurse for awhile, so I drove back and forth at all times of the day and night and never had any problems.

Of course, most of that time was when I was living on 9th and North Railroad, which is not someplace most folks here would want to live, but on the other hand, that meant that my drive back and forth was always through the neighborhoods around Tamarind and Dixie, north of Palm Beach Lakes up to 45th Street . . . yet I never had any problems there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach