Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 AM

87 posts, read 250,134 times

Advertisements

I grew up there but I currently live in CT with my husband and daughter. We often talk about moving back to be near our families, but we really like living up north.

Tell me, what do you like about South Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:22 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Boynton and WPB seemed to inspire me and my family enough to seek a vacation condo until one day we searched the demographics of each town.. We live just a few hours North of WPB and were considering purchasing near the beach.

Well our entire desire changed when our neighbor said that there is a pockedfull of crime in each of the cities. We thought we would enjoy either town and purchse a vaction condo. We have investigated the towns in person both at day and night. Has anyone found city govt and the crime stats to be rather high and scary for such as nice looking area?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1
Well our entire desire changed when our neighbor said that there is a pockedfull of crime in each of the cities. We thought we would enjoy either town and purchse a vaction condo. We have investigated the towns in person both at day and night. Has anyone found city govt and the crime stats to be rather high and scary for such as nice looking area?

West Palm Beach crime is centered in the North end of the City, which is basically an extension of Riviera Beach, a particularly bad city.

Had you bought a vacation condo, you most definitely would not have been in "that" part of town.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 AM

522 posts, read 1,610,466 times
I can only speak for Boynton, but east Boynton definitely has high crime. I live there and recently moved to Tuscany on the Intracoastal which does not have crime (it is basically run like a 55 and over community although it is not one) but all the areas surrounding it do. It's a shame. I like living near the water and it's cheaper than Boca so I just exercise caution. Have you thought about Deerfield Beach? They have really made some great improvements and I don't think the crime is as bad as Boynton, but I do think the nice condos there are quite expensive. At Tuscany, you can get a one bedroom condo for around $160,000 and a two bedroom for around $200,000 and they are very nice. And the place is like Fort Knox to get into - you can't unless you're a resident or visiting someone who lets you in - you can't follow a car in through the gate or get through the pedestrian gate without a card. They have serious security here. The area surrounding it is not as bad as some of the areas north of it. I don't feel unsafe here at all but I wouldn't walk around the Federal Hwy Woolbright area alone at night either.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Most people live in southern Florida because of the pleasant temperatures.

For most people the economy is mediocre and most bring their wealth with them. Having said that, there are opportunities in the local economy with the right set of skills and contacts.

Though people complain, traffic, at least in Palm Beach County, is not so bad compared to the more densely populated areas of the northeast.

Analogous comments apply to property taxes and there is no state income tax. Also it is less costly to cool than to heat.

You may like it if your family members can help you make a good job contact or you have a good plan for a viable business.

If you have to rely on the general job market, you will probably be disappointed.

Besides maybe career opportunities, what is good about living in the northeast?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:10 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Most people live in southern Florida because of the pleasant temperatures.

For most people the economy is mediocre and most bring their wealth with them. Having said that, there are opportunities in the local economy with the right set of skills and contacts.

Though people complain, traffic, at least in Palm Beach County, is not so bad compared to the more densely populated areas of the northeast.

Analogous comments apply to property taxes and there is no state income tax. Also it is less costly to cool than to heat.

You may like it if your family members can help you make a good job contact or you have a good plan for a viable business.

If you have to rely on the general job market, you will probably be disappointed.

Besides maybe career opportunities, what is good about living in the northeast?

Nothing..lol We left NJ to come to charlotte, and we are really hoping to get down to West Boca...dh has alot of contacts down there, but it is slow..

Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 AM

53 posts, read 281,265 times
Welcome CT1010!

"South Florida" has a broad spectrum of things to "like".

The weather
The melting pot of wonderful, colorful people who live here
Good Food
The beaches
Being close to the islands
Being close to Disney
Being close to 3 major airports
Golf courses galore
The Palm Beach Zoo
The Miami Zoo
Fishing
WPB Fairgrounds
Football
Baseball
Concerts
Theater
Diving
Shopping
Did I mention the people?
But most of all my Family!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa Delray View Post
Welcome CT1010!

"South Florida" has a broad spectrum of things to "like".

The weather
The melting pot of wonderful, colorful people who live here
Good Food
The beaches
Being close to the islands
Being close to Disney
Being close to 3 major airports
Golf courses galore
The Palm Beach Zoo
The Miami Zoo
Fishing
WPB Fairgrounds
Football
Baseball
Concerts
Theater
Diving
Shopping
Did I mention the people?
But most of all my Family!
Im so glad to hear, It was nice as I was on the phone with my realtor/someone I know since im little, anyway it is nice to hear nice things about the area...Ive said it before I will say it again, every place has its problems and issues, however I try to find the positives in all...

thank you for sharing as we are getting excited about our visit in April

Old 02-22-2009, 11:09 AM

19 posts, read 95,787 times
Our family loves:

Sunshine, sunshine and more sunshine.

Wearing flip-flops year round.

Palm trees and flowers everywhere, everyday!!

Happy tourists that are jealous that you live here!

Mickey is a state resident.

Meeting people from everywhere.

Beautiful beaches.

Not being depressed by a long, cold, gloomy winter.

Talking to others who feel blessed to live here.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrisaLou View Post
Our family loves:

Sunshine, sunshine and more sunshine.

Wearing flip-flops year round.

Palm trees and flowers everywhere, everyday!!

Happy tourists that are jealous that you live here!

Mickey is a state resident.

Meeting people from everywhere.

Beautiful beaches.

Not being depressed by a long, cold, gloomy winter.

Talking to others who feel blessed to live here.
Love this response thank you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach