Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM

144 posts, read 317,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhh View Post
Truly all of your comments lack imagination. You have an entire town with historic architecture and a train into dc and you guys ask about a mall? Ridiculous. It is this mentality of major corporate consumerism that is Killing our country. Open a bakery. Coffee shops bookstores, something people will love to come to and clean up your city. Stop asking what corporations can do for you and what you can buy and start Asking what can you do for your community! Sheesh. In a place so cheap anything is possible. Use your imagination. Sheesh, i live in tysons corner around the corner from the biggest luxury mall in dc and it is a nightmare.
Yet when I was growing up it was a great place to visit. Great memories of Christmas in the original mall and working there as a teen. It's the people that ruin it not the area per say and hate to say it but it will happen in Jefferson County too. Hopefully after I am long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM

80 posts, read 219,565 times
Martinsburg Mall looking to upgrade...I wonder what stores/restaurants they are trying to get.

Martinsburg Mall plans improvements - herald-mail.com

Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,352 times
Default Bulldoze the malls

Quote:
Ridiculous. It is this mentality of major corporate consumerism that is Killing our country. Open a bakery. Coffee shops bookstores, something people will love to come to and clean up your city.
So far this is my only complaint about the EP. Many of the locals are extremely enthusiastic about the main-stream corporate food culture.

I'd like to put them all on a bus and send them to Portland Oregon so they can see/understand the true value of highly innovative, cutting edge, sole proprietorships and people-powered co-ops.

I was actually hoping that the Wall Street meltdown back in 2008 would lead to the physical destruction of all these malls---bulldoze them--and a resurgence of your classic downtowns/business/shopping districts.

I'd like to see the City of Martinsburg award matching facade grants to downtown shopkeepers/restauranteurs, and limit the amount of new, big-box corporate-themed eateries.

Anyways.....great post.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:19 PM

385 posts, read 615,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccolt60 View Post
Martinsburg Mall looking to upgrade...I wonder what stores/restaurants they are trying to get.

Martinsburg Mall plans improvements - herald-mail.com
Frankly until something is done to either slow down the traffic around the mall I will shop elsewhere. I have no problem getting into/out of the Martin's across the street, but I feel like I take my life in my hands whenever I leave the mall as traffic flies along the border road.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,969 times
Making the former Sears store part of the interior of the mall will not revitalize Martinsburg Mall. I will say it again. If the mall owners want to revitalize that mall, they need to give shoppers an experience they can not receive in Hagerstown or Winchester- make the residents of those areas specifically want to come to Martinsburg Mall to shop.

How to do that? Another anchor needs to occupy the former Sears location. Such as a BASSPRO SHOP, BJ's WHOLESALE CLUB or a WEGMANS SUPERMARKET. Land one of those as a tenant then the turn-around of the mall can start.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Making the former Sears store part of the interior of the mall will not revitalize Martinsburg Mall. I will say it again. If the mall owners want to revitalize that mall, they need to give shoppers an experience they can not receive in Hagerstown or Winchester- make the residents of those areas specifically want to come to Martinsburg Mall to shop.

How to do that? Another anchor needs to occupy the former Sears location. Such as a BASSPRO SHOP, BJ's WHOLESALE CLUB or a WEGMANS SUPERMARKET. Land one of those as a tenant then the turn-around of the mall can start.
Wegman's is not coming to WV anytime soon.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:16 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
If your area is anything like mine is, you can find all those missing shoppers that used to shop at the mall - down at the local Goodwill.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 AM

385 posts, read 615,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Another anchor needs to occupy the former Sears location. Such as a BASSPRO SHOP, BJ's WHOLESALE CLUB or a WEGMANS SUPERMARKET. Land one of those as a tenant then the turn-around of the mall can start.
With Dick's just on the other side of the interstate I don't see a BassPro moving in. As was pointed out, Wegman's has no plans to move in.

OTOH if a BJ's, Costco, or SAM's club moved in even I could be convinced to fight the traffic.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:24 AM

114 posts, read 203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
So far this is my only complaint about the EP. Many of the locals are extremely enthusiastic about the main-stream corporate food culture............I'd like to see the City of Martinsburg award matching facade grants to downtown shopkeepers/restauranteurs, and limit the amount of new, big-box corporate-themed eateries.

Anyways.....great post.
Your only complaint? Seriously?

As a soon-to-be resident of M-burg and coming from a city where independently-owned restaurants, cafes and boutique specialty shops abound, I am in complete agreement with you on this one, At-Chilles. I have been baffled as to why there do not seem to be any good non-chain restaurants in M-burg, or have I just not found one yet? I've asked around of the few people I've come into contact with there, but everyone always says "Have you been to Shepherdstown yet?" ***sigh***

Old 09-20-2012, 12:49 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
There are Several Non chain eateries in town! Cripe look around! The Station Grill on King St is one...Station Grill Restaurant - Martinsburg, WV Blue White Grill in another...Blue White Grill (Blue White Grill Of West Virginia) - Martinsburg, West Virginia (WV) | Company Profile There are lots more! Just look around & get to know the town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia