Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
I understand that, but I think you confused her when you initially said:

"If you're coming from UK, you can't fly into Charleston, WV. It doesn't have customs and immigration officers. Neither does the airport at Huntington. You have to fly into an American airport that has the designation IAP (International Airport)."

Plus the only foreign destinations for Pittsburgh's so-called international airport are Paris and Toronto if I'm not mistaken. So it would take at least one connection to get to the US from the UK anyways. Might as well fly into Morganton, Charleston, or Huntington from a New York or Washington DC airport.

I'm probably just nitpicking at your choice of words, but I didn't want lovelifex to be confused as it seemed she was from her last post.
"so-called international airport"?

The airport offers service to the United States, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, and Europe. That seems pretty international to me. You are correct that it does not at this time have flights arriving directly from London, so Washington would provide the closest direct flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:52 AM

15 posts, read 31,791 times
Hahahahaha!
the first things that strike me are how that would never, ever happen at an English Uni.. We're way too shy and we don't have the sound systems! Neighbours hate those
It reminds me of that airport advert where people are greeted by a random bunch of guys singing in the arrivals lounge!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:59 AM

& Thanks Rawrockhills & CT Mountaineer for clarifying the flight thing!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Definately be sure to check the towns out and pick the town that suits you. As to the more to do debate, again, to take opinions out of the equation all you have to do is look at the lists posted in the other thread to see which has more using the same criteria. Twice as much in fact. Also notice how many events were based in Huntington and how many you have to travel to Pittsburgh to go to in the previous post.

And Kennywood, while a nice park, is also more of a nostalgic park and certainly not to the level of Kings Island, Disney World or Universal Studios (the last two are about the same time away via direct flight).

With regards to performing arts, Marshall has been listed as having one of the top 50 performing arts programs in the nation and offers its own symphony as well. So if you like symphony music, 2 are actually based in Huntington.

For art, you don't need to wait for a new museum to be constructed in Huntington. Even after the WVU gallery is constructed, the Huntington Museum of Art will still be the premier art museum in the state due to its size and the quality of the collection that they have. This is in addition to the Birke Art Gallery and Gallery 842 which are run by Marshall.

With regards to the lakes listed on the Huntington site, most are 2 hours or less away with several being much closer in fact.

And with regards to this paragraph:

If fewer people want to be in Huntington, why does it have nearly 20,000 more residents? And as posted previously, if you are looking into teaching, there are more teaching jobs located in Cabell County (public and private schools) and the teachers are also paid better here, not to mention the lower cost of living in Huntington.

To be sure that this doesn't turn into the typical thread between the two of us, if you have any other quesions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help. If I answer here, I'll do my best to keep it short and concise. I think arguments for the two towns have been well laid out so you have plenty of info to choose from and to look at the merits of the towns themselves. There are MANY other threads where these points have been argued ad nauseum as well should you need more info. Good luck in choosig your new home as a big move like this is always a tough decision. We would love to have you here in Huntington. Cabell Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau highlighting Huntington, Barboursvil

Tim
Tim, I think you know that we're confusing the issue here by talking "city limits". Much of Morgantown's population is located outside of the city limits. Cabell and Monongalia counties have approximately the same populations, but Monongalia is actually growing. And, Monongalia has more people working.

WEST VIRGINIA COUNTY DATA

Civilian Labor Force Total Employment
Cabell 42,770
Monongalia 47,260

Unemployment Rates
Cabell 7.7%
Monongalia 5.7%

OTHER IMPORTANT DATA

Monongalia County (Morgantown)
People 25 years of age or older with a high school degree or higher: 83.6%
People 25 years of age or older with a bachelor's degree or higher: 32.4%
Adult Diabetes Rate 8.5%
Median Age 29

Cabell County (Huntington)
People 25 years of age or older with a high school degree or higher: 80.0%
People 25 years of age or older with a bachelor's degree or higher: 20.9%
Adult Diabetes Rate 13.9%
Median Age 37

Morgantown is a younger, better educated, healthier city.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:38 AM

4,956 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelifex View Post
Can anyone explain this? I'm lost.. Haha

The flight I was looking at is a one-stop one, that's a connecting flight isn't it? Jeez, all this travel stuff is so confusing haha

I've yet to meet a brit who isn't partial to a good Earl Gray Tea!

A moment ago I watched Jamie Oliver's food revolution, Huntington looked so beautiful and the community spirit was amazing. Did that programme change anything or do the kids still get pizza for breakfast?
To most people around here, UK stands for University of Kentucky on first thought. That is what the post was referring to, merely stated in jest.

With regards to the flight, after doing a bit of research you may want to consider flying into Detroit. Delta is switching the connector for Huntington from Cincinnatti to Detroit in the early Spring of this year. It looks like there are direct flights to Detroit from the UK. Once the service switch happens, you will only need one stop at Detroit to come directly into Huntington with no extra drive. Here are the links about that:

MetroAirport.com

Tri-State Airport set to begin Delta flights to Detroit - The Herald Dispatch

If you like tea, we have a couple of places that you might want to visit while in Huntington. The Old Village Roaster on 4th Ave serves Earl Grey and they also roast their own coffee in old Victorian roasters in the back of the store. Then we also have a store at the Huntington Mall called TeaCo. My wife is a big fan of both.

Old Village Roaster a downtown staple - The Herald Dispatch

TeaCo brewing up something special - The Herald Dispatch

Jamie Oliver's show did indeed change things here in Huntington. School lunches are prepared mostly from scratch with fresh ingredients and our schools are the only ones in the entire US to be able to make that claim. The Kitchen that he established is still going strong and many classes for cooking lessons are completely full. There have also been new stores that have opened to offer foods that are more fresh and a new local food pantry just opened to offer healthier food to those on fixed or lower incomes. The show was definately fun while it was here and I went to a couple of the events that they had. It did indeed show the beauty and spirit that Huntington has. That experience was just another thing to help ensure that Huntington has a brighter future. If you get a chance, you might also watch the movie "We are Marshall" as most of it was filmed here as well.

Huntington's Kitchen

We Are Marshall: The Movie

Hope this helps.

Tim

Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 AM

Thanks guys - I'm going to get the film up now & let it load, and watch it later.

When you said about the old victorian coffee roasters, I thought of my dad straight away. I wonder if I could bring him back the bottled smell of good coffee? Haha!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 AM

4,956 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Not sure about bottles but they do offer their coffee in bags.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 AM

Good coffee is really more the thing here in America than good tea. We have specialty shops for coffee...

http://www.starbucks.com/

Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 AM

415 posts, read 802,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
"so-called international airport"?

The airport offers service to the United States, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, and Europe. That seems pretty international to me. You are correct that it does not at this time have flights arriving directly from London, so Washington would provide the closest direct flight.

I suppose I meant that all "international" airports are not equal and just because it is labeled as international doesn't mean you can necessarily get there from a given foreign locale. For example, the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport doesn't even offer service outside the continental US. At least Pittsburgh has them beat.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Pittsburgh has a whole lot of places beat. I'm no fan of the yinzers, but their town is a nice city for a big one. I wouldn't want to live there, but I'm glad it is close by. As far as airports are concerned, NYC, Boston, DC, and Miami probably have the most international flights on the East Coast. All the other towns are distant seconds. But a person could catch a train from London to Paris and get a direct flight to Pittsburgh... not saying that would be the best way to go. I would think DC would be the best considering the intended destinations. It affords the chance to visit the Nation's Capitol, and is a scenic drive to Morgantown. And, from there, as Tim pointed out, it is a 3 hour drive to Huntington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia