Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend2112 View Post
Ok, it's obvious no one here likes Charleston. I have never been there. Why all the dislikes?
I wouldn't listen to cry_havoc, he doesn't know much about Charleston or its politics.

Charleston is really a great city, with alot to do for one its size! We have everything from outstanding dining options, to art and history exibits online with those found in major cities. The outdoor venues are great, plus we are a very beautiful city. The history here makes the town seem classic, while at the same time the moderness of our city keeps it in the future mindset. We love our big bold Kanawha River, and the activities that take place on it like jet skiing, boating, swimming, or just fishing.

The architecture is second to none in WV, including historic Wheeling. Also our historic districts are full of neat places to visit, shop, and dine at!

I'd say only two people on this forum really dislike Charleston, and thats only because they have a beef with the state government! But other than that I'd say that Charleston is easily the nicest, cleanist, and most charming city in WV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I wouldn't listen to cry_havoc, he doesn't know much about Charleston or its politics.

Charleston is really a great city, with alot to do for one its size! We have everything from outstanding dining options, to art and history exibits online with those found in major cities. The outdoor venues are great, plus we are a very beautiful city. The history here makes the town seem classic, while at the same time the moderness of our city keeps it in the future mindset. We love our big bold Kanawha River, and the activities that take place on it like jet skiing, boating, swimming, or just fishing.

The architecture is second to none in WV, including historic Wheeling. Also our historic districts are full of neat places to visit, shop, and dine at!

I'd say only two people on this forum really dislike Charleston, and thats only because they have a beef with the state government! But other than that I'd say that Charleston is easily the nicest, cleanist, and most charming city in WV!
Chris I was complimenting your city. Chris is a Charleston cheerleader I am an objective voice. If you want to hear an unpaid unofficial marketer listen to Chris. If you want the truth listen to me.

Many good things could be said about Charleston, but architecture isnt one of them. He is right about water activities, and while Charleston is ugly there are some beautiful areas near it. Charleston is a good place if you want to live in a small quiet city with decent dining, shopping, nightlife, activities, although it is only decent, and want access to wild and wonderful WV. It is close to snowshoe, and I believe the new river. Being located in the center of the state gives good access to WV. The city itself is kinda, "meh," but like I said it is better than most of the other cities in WV.

Id pick Morgantown over Charleston any day, but Charleston would provably come in around 4 or 5 for my top 5 places in WV. Like I said it is good for certain people. People that dont want a lot of excitement, but want to live in a certified city, although very small. I dont blame the city for the politicians. Going to Charleston is like going into a time machine to an older version of America. Some people would love this others wouldnt.

Chris dont take what I am saying as an insult. I do know Charleston and this is the truth. I am actually praising your city, but in an honest way. A friend of mine is actually leaving Morgantown and moving to Charleston with his wife for the reasons I mentioned. Morgantown is too crowded, urban, new America for him. Your city, besides the government, isnt bad. You have a lot to be proud of.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 PM

how can I not take you calling Charleston ugly (when I'd called it beautiful) as an insult? LOL

But in all truth you really can't go wrong with either Charleston or Morgantown, or anywhere in WV for that matter! I love Charleston because it is beautiful and historic! Cry_Havoc like Mtown because its fun and young! Even though I'm young, I still would take culture over party anytime!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
how can I not take you calling Charleston ugly (when I'd called it beautiful) as an insult? LOL
Well I guess that comes down to opinion. Chris I've traveled the US and the world. Charleston is bland and unimpressive. Maybe ive been spoiled by sites such as Rio, Madrid, NYC, Austin, SF, Pittsburgh, Amsterdam, etc. However, there is nothing special about the way Charleston looks like. Lewisburg is small and beautiful. Charleston isnt. To be fair Morgantown, the city itself, is not nice, nor are most of the bordering cities. Cheat Lake is beautiful, but it is suburban. The different between us I dont go around and claim Morgantown is beautiful. The metro area is the city isnt. You however, claim Charleston is beautiful and really it isnt.

Quote:
Cry_Havoc like Mtown because its fun and young! Even though I'm young, I still would take culture over party anytime!
You are right about Morgantown being a better place to party, but you are wrong about the culture. Charleston does have better museums, but most people go to Museums once or twice a year, maybe more if someone visits. When it comes to art, opera, plays, broadway, opera, and music Morgantown is better than Charleston. The performing arts center at WVU attracts world class musicians and artist. The artist can be painters sculptures etc. the live music in Morgantown blows Charleston away. Morgantown is the Austin or Nashville of WV. Broadway plays come to Morgantown, but im sure they also come to Charleston too. Big names artist come to morgantown attracted by its young population.

The reason for this is WVU. The college atmosphere makes Morgantown an artist/musicians heaven, in the same Asheville is in NC. It isnt the best in the country, but the best in WV. The atmosphere of Morgantown is suited for these types of people.

Charleston does have better museums and more history. Im not arguing about that. I just find that these things are best explored in a few days. Morgantown attracts the best musicians, craftsmen, artist, actors, creative types.

So when it comes to culture they both have it, but in different ways.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Well I guess that comes down to opinion. Chris I've traveled the US and the world. Charleston is bland and unimpressive. Maybe ive been spoiled by sites such as Rio, Madrid, NYC, Austin, SF, Pittsburgh, Amsterdam, etc. However, there is nothing special about the way Charleston looks like. Lewisburg is small and beautiful. Charleston isnt. To be fair Morgantown, the city itself, is not nice, nor are most of the bordering cities. Cheat Lake is beautiful, but it is suburban. The different between us I dont go around and claim Morgantown is beautiful. The metro area is the city isnt. You however, claim Charleston is beautiful and really it isnt.

You are right about Morgantown being a better place to party, but you are wrong about the culture. Charleston does have better museums, but most people go to Museums once or twice a year, maybe more if someone visits. When it comes to art, opera, plays, broadway, opera, and music Morgantown is better than Charleston. The performing arts center at WVU attracts world class musicians and artist. The artist can be painters sculptures etc. the live music in Morgantown blows Charleston away. Morgantown is the Austin or Nashville of WV. Broadway plays come to Morgantown, but im sure they also come to Charleston too. Big names artist come to morgantown attracted by its young population.

The reason for this is WVU. The college atmosphere makes Morgantown an artist/musicians heaven, in the same Asheville is in NC. It isnt the best in the country, but the best in WV. The atmosphere of Morgantown is suited for these types of people.

Charleston does have better museums and more history. Im not arguing about that. I just find that these things are best explored in a few days. Morgantown attracts the best musicians, craftsmen, artist, actors, creative types.

So when it comes to culture they both have it, but in different ways.
The landscape is beautiful, look at this pic of our state capital

Google Images

And like you said Morgantown isn't! I've also travelld in my young life and have found numerous places more beautiful than anywhere in WV! But Charleston is also beautiful, as is the state!

You think that Mtown gets better artists, musicians, and broadway shows! We have 4 great venues for performing and fine arts! The Culture Center, The Clay Center, the Civiv Center, and The Municipal Theater are all places that attract the biggest names! Haddad Riverfront Pak is even earning a name for itself as it has hosted world famous U2, and even the World's Strongest Man! Broadway comes almost on a monthly schedule, and the WV symphony orcastra is world class! Not to forget about world known Mountain Stage!

The dining here is the best in WV, unless you count several restaurants scattered in random places in the state! The shopping is also high class, and modern here!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
The landscape is beautiful, look at this pic of our state capital

Google Images

And like you said Morgantown isn't! I've also travelld in my young life and have found numerous places more beautiful than anywhere in WV! But Charleston is also beautiful, as is the state!

You think that Mtown gets better artists, musicians, and broadway shows! We have 4 great venues for performing and fine arts! The Culture Center, The Clay Center, the Civiv Center, and The Municipal Theater are all places that attract the biggest names! Haddad Riverfront Pak is even earning a name for itself as it has hosted world famous U2, and even the World's Strongest Man! Broadway comes almost on a monthly schedule, and the WV symphony orcastra is world class! Not to forget about world known Mountain Stage!

The dining here is the best in WV, unless you count several restaurants scattered in random places in the state! The shopping is also high class, and modern here!
The river is nice, but the buildings are not. Not even beautiful scenic WV can save the ugly architecture of Charleston. If the city wasnt there it would be beautiful.

When it comes to big name artist like U2 Morgantown and Charleston are nearly even. I dont care about them. I care more about local music scenes, which is better in Morgantown.

Chris I am not saying putting Charleston down, but Morgantown has a better arts and entertainment scene. I am sure Charleston has great cultural events. However, Morgantown has set itself up as the creative capital of WV and a refugee area for creative people. It is somewhere where real artist go.

Im sure Charleston gets World's strongest man. If they were going to build a Nascar stadium in WV Charleston would be a good choice. Same thing with WWE. Charleston wins in that regard hands down.

When it comes to Orchestra, classical music, local musicians, hip hop, techno, punk, jam, Morgantown is better.

They both have culture. Morgantown has sophisticated, high class culture. it also has local and hip street culture. Charleston has low class culture and packaged corporate culture.

It is all about preference.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
They both have culture. Morgantown has sophisticated, high class culture. it also has local and hip street culture. Charleston has low class culture and packaged corporate culture.

It is all about preference.
In one breath you claim that Morgantown is a place where you can party, and in the next yo claim this. Sophisticated? Charleston has more high class culture in one neighborhood than Morgantown could ever dream about in all of it! What is low class culture? is it broke college students that skip class to get high, because Mtown is full of that?

Morgantown and Charleston are not equal in the areas of big name artists and world known acts and performers. We have hosted anywhere from Elvis to Cats! I'm sorry, but Mtown can't compete with that!

And once again, Charleston has a large art and music scene through the Clay Center, and its Village District! For every "local" artist Mtown gets, there are two to match them here! Festiv-ALL is one of our biggest events, and this year it brought 10s of thousands of people into downtown and hundreds of live street performances. Live on the Levi is a free music scene every friday night, that features different styles of music every week! Mountain Stage has brought lots of world attention! Morgantown might get some, but our broadway plays and performances happen monthly not yearly, and the Clay Center is the only place in WV nice enough to truly showcase them! One time, I even got to see Stomp! The Moscow Ballet (that's right Russian National Ballet) comes to Charleston every year to perform the Nut Cracker! The Globetrotters come everyear, and so does Trans Siberian Orcastra. Just a few of the thousands of world class events we are honored to host to the rest of the state!

And I'm sorry that you think our buildings are ugly, I truly am! I just can't see how you see that! You do realize I'm not taking about our 20 story buildings, or even our local McDonalds right? I'm taliking about the thousands of Victorian style homes, and the hundreds of 19th century commercail buildings. The capitol itself is the most beautiful building in the state, and the historic East End offers so much that its hard for you to say those things!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
In one breath you claim that Morgantown is a place where you can party, and in the next yo claim this. Sophisticated? Charleston has more high class culture in one neighborhood than Morgantown could ever dream about in all of it! What is low class culture? is it broke college students that skip class to get high, because Mtown is full of that?

Morgantown and Charleston are not equal in the areas of big name artists and world known acts and performers. We have hosted anywhere from Elvis to Cats! I'm sorry, but Mtown can't compete with that!

And once again, Charleston has a large art and music scene through the Clay Center, and its Village District! For every "local" artist Mtown gets, there are two to match them here! Festiv-ALL is one of our biggest events, and this year it brought 10s of thousands of people into downtown and hundreds of live street performances. Live on the Levi is a free music scene every friday night, that features different styles of music every week! Mountain Stage has brought lots of world attention! Morgantown might get some, but our broadway plays and performances happen monthly not yearly, and the Clay Center is the only place in WV nice enough to truly showcase them! One time, I even got to see Stomp! The Moscow Ballet (that's right Russian National Ballet) comes to Charleston every year to perform the Nut Cracker! The Globetrotters come everyear, and so does Trans Siberian Orcastra. Just a few of the thousands of world class events we are honored to host to the rest of the state!

And I'm sorry that you think our buildings are ugly, I truly am! I just can't see how you see that! You do realize I'm not taking about our 20 story buildings, or even our local McDonalds right? I'm taliking about the thousands of Victorian style homes, and the hundreds of 19th century commercail buildings. The capitol itself is the most beautiful building in the state, and the historic East End offers so much that its hard for you to say those things!
Yes, im sure Charleston had Elvis and Morgantown didnt. 50 years you would have an argument. Not so much today. Charleston is very much a city stuck in the past.

Morgantown gets cats not that I would want to see that. Literally all those cultural events you mentioned come to Morgantown and more. When it comes to culture Morgantown beats Charleston hands down. You can say Charleston is better at Morgantown at some things, but high class culture isnt one of them. So sorry Chris.

It may come as a surprise to you, but Morgantown isnt all college students. It is attracting professionals across the whole country.

Also Charleston is ugly. So are those old houses. Other cities do have nice old homes, but not Charleston's. They might be historical but they are eyesores. The capitol is the ugliest capitol building I have ever seen.

Chris you are not objective that is your problem. I dont go around and hype up Morgantown to be something it is not. It is a pleasant small city with a college town atmosphere and a good quality of living. However, you go out of your way to market Charleston. Your blind jingoistic attitude towards Charleston borders on delusional.

It is an average small city. Quiet, boring, lacking in culture but good for WV, ok dining, ok attractions, above average nightlife for WV. That is the truth of the matter. Your opinion doesnt change any of that.

Chris I am trying to like you. You seem like a decent guy. Talking with you is like talking to a hardcore religious person. No amount of logic, reasoning, evidence, facts, or science will get you to change your stubborn view which is rooted in the self-reightousness of Charleston.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, im sure Charleston had Elvis and Morgantown didnt. 50 years you would have an argument. Not so much today. Charleston is very much a city stuck in the past.

Morgantown gets cats not that I would want to see that. Literally all those cultural events you mentioned come to Morgantown and more. When it comes to culture Morgantown beats Charleston hands down. You can say Charleston is better at Morgantown at some things, but high class culture isnt one of them. So sorry Chris.

It may come as a surprise to you, but Morgantown isnt all college students. It is attracting professionals across the whole country.

Also Charleston is ugly. So are those old houses. Other cities do have nice old homes, but not Charleston's. They might be historical but they are eyesores. The capitol is the ugliest capitol building I have ever seen.

Chris you are not objective that is your problem. I dont go around and hype up Morgantown to be something it is not. It is a pleasant small city with a college town atmosphere and a good quality of living. However, you go out of your way to market Charleston. Your blind jingoistic attitude towards Charleston borders on delusional.

It is an average small city. Quiet, boring, lacking in culture but good for WV, ok dining, ok attractions, above average nightlife for WV. That is the truth of the matter. Your opinion doesnt change any of that.

Chris I am trying to like you. You seem like a decent guy. Talking with you is like talking to a hardcore religious person. No amount of logic, reasoning, evidence, facts, or science will get you to change your stubborn view which is rooted in the self-reightousness of Charleston.
Your posts are not supported by fact, but speculations! You can't provide individual examples of how Morganton is "more high class" than Charleston! all you can say is that you get somehow more!

You call my posts stubborn, self-rightous, and delusional, by when you say things like "The Capitol Building is the uglist I've seen" i don't have to say much more! it is obvious that you are not classy enough to reconize true beauty and culture! Our capital building is reguarded as one of the best in the nation! Fact!

I really think you should start visiting another forum, maybe one that you can say off the wall comments in. Because this forum might not be for you, or your idiot posts!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 AM

10 posts, read 19,870 times
Quote:
Because this forum might not be for you, or your idiot posts!
why don't both of you start your own little thread - charleston vs morgantown and stay the hell out of every other thread. HINT: both of you are idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia