Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:01 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,879,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
It says how many people who surveyed in total: 353,363; and how many MSAs were used: 163. That means that the MAXIMUM possible for the smaller MSAs (i.e. Huntington and Charleston) must about 2,168 people per MSA. This still only comes out to about about 0.53% and 0.90% of The Huntington and Charleston MSAs respectively. It's a terrible sample of the population. It doesn't even break the 1% mark.

Note that they would most likely NOT sample 2,168 people in these smaller metros because that would mean that larger metro areas would not have 2,168 samples and thus be LESS represented than the smaller metros.

And again, the Gallup itself says that the standard deviation is +/-6.5 percentage points. This is an indication that the sample size is WAY TOO LOW because it can moves means significantly up and down in rank.

The sample size is too small to make any real conclusions.
No, it is called sampling and is normal. You take a SAMPLE of a larger population. Who says the sample is too small? YOU? So you know better than the statisticians at Gallup? I invite you to actually prove that.

Another part of your argument is based on assumption. You can contact Gallup and and ask them for more information. Until then your opinion and your assumptions are irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
No no no. No one said that standard deviation in itself refutes a poll but this particular standard deviation refutes this specific poll. Standard deviation by its very nature reflects the sample size. If the sample size is large enough then the standard deviation will be smaller. The larger MSAs have, as stated by Gallup, a standard deviation of +/-1.0 which means that they had enough samples that they could throw out any outliers. The smaller MSAs could NOT do that and those data throw off the means and thus the reported values.
No, it doesnt. Show a source that proves that. This poll is normal. The sample size is large enough. However, you could pull the argument for any sample size unless every person is counted. That argument doesnt work in statistics.

However, if you can demonstrate there is a flaw with the data I am open to it.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 PM

4,962 posts, read 8,957,096 times
The biggest fallacy here is attempting to present a poll with a small sample size as fact, as the op is doing. Such a poll deals with potential or probability, not certainty and fact like it is being presented here.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The biggest fallacy here is attempting to present a poll with a small sample size as fact, as the op is doing. Such a poll deals with potential or probability, not certainty and fact like it is being presented here.
If you have proof it is wrong please share it. The biggest fallacies you are making, notice the plural, is trying to attack me personally to discredit the poll and refusing to believe the results despite not having any evidence against it while there is overwhelming evidence for it. It could be wrong is a fallacy in itself.

Also, your city of Huntington has won this dubious honor year after year.

Look if you are happy in Huntington that is fine and dandy, but most people arent.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
If you have proof it is wrong please share it. The biggest fallacies you are making, notice the plural, is trying to attack me personally to discredit the poll and refusing to believe the results despite not having any evidence against it while there is overwhelming evidence for it. It could be wrong is a fallacy in itself.

Also, your city of Huntington has won this dubious honor year after year.

Look if you are happy in Huntington that is fine and dandy, but most people arent.
So pointing out how you are erroneously attempting to draw conclusions from polls as fact rather than probability is personally attacking you? I would have thought calling someone ignorant as you continuously do would be more of a personal attack.

I couldn't care less about the poll results in my daily life. I live here so I actually know the area and I know myself and the people around me are pretty happy with life here. Plus, this "dubious honor" goes to the MSA, not the city, another fallacy of yours. Don't you claim MSA statistics don't matter? I guess suddenly they do now. Let's see how this changes now that the MSA designations have changed.

And to make your last statement more accurate, you need to change that to the "Huntington MSA" and "most people polled by Gallup aren't". That would be a more accurate statement. And btw, I've never been polled by Gallup.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
So pointing out how you are erroneously attempting to draw conclusions from polls as fact rather than probability is personally attacking you? I would have thought calling someone ignorant as you continuously do would be more of a personal attack.

I couldn't care less about the poll results in my daily life. I live here so I actually know the area and I know myself and the people around me are pretty happy with life here. Plus, this "dubious honor" goes to the MSA, not the city, another fallacy of yours. Don't you claim MSA statistics don't matter? I guess suddenly they do now. Let's see how this changes now that the MSA designations have changed.

And to make your last statement more accurate, you need to change that to the "Huntington MSA" and "most people polled by Gallup aren't". That would be a more accurate statement. And btw, I've never been polled by Gallup.
Yes, now that Huntington picked up some of Charleston's MSA, which is the #1 depressed area, Huntington will likely reclaim the most depressed city spot.

It is all one big area anyway, and it is the most miserable and depressed area in the US. However, if you are happy what do you care about the other people? Enjoy your life and stop letting the low well being of the CHarlesotn-Huntington area depress you or make you unhappy, it already has enough of that.

*EDIT* in first changed accidentally called Huntington Marshall. Nothing else.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 06-29-2013 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,622 times
Quote:
Yes, now that Marshall picked up some of Charleston's MSA, which is the #1 depressed area, Huntington will likely reclaim the most depressed city spot.

It is all one big area anyway, and it is the most miserable and depressed area in the US. However, if you are happy what do you care about the other people? Enjoy your life and stop letting the low well being of the CHarlesotn-Huntington area depress you or make you unhappy, it already has enough of that.
You are the only thing here making anyone unhappy

Old 06-29-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
You are the only thing here making anyone unhappy
I hardly feel it is fair to blame the depression and unhappiness of these places on me. What is next am I responsible for the obesity, poverty, and bad teeth? Maybe the decline of coal too?

Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, now that Marshall picked up some of Charleston's MSA, which is the #1 depressed area, Huntington will likely reclaim the most depressed city spot.
So Marshall University has its own MSA now? Interesting. I think that may be a Freudian slip that gives the foundation for your intense hatred, you can't separate the cities from the universities in them nor the academics from the sports that the schools play. Sad.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
So Marshall University has its own MSA now? Interesting. I think that may be a Freudian slip that gives the foundation for your intense hatred, you can't separate the cities from the universities in them nor the academics from the sports that the schools play. Sad.
My bad I meant Huntington, but I think you knew that. My point in the earlier statement remains and a typo wont change that. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia