Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,566,740 times

Advertisements

The methodology shows that minimum state surveys are 309, and that the margin of error is something like 5.7 on this sample size. Considering WV is one of the smallest states, the sample size is small and the margin of error is much greater, probably like 5% which would mean that WV might really be somewhere around 15th instead of last, based on this larger margin of error. And it's the surveyors own opinions as to what makes a state score high or low as it's their questions. In other words, if I smoke and hate veggies and don't exercise, I may be really happy, whereas quitting smoking, eating veggies I hate and forced exercise might make me miserable, but on these guy's scale, it will show the opposite in their results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 9,145,225 times
These so called "facts" are statistical tallies of peoples opinions! So to say that opinions are meaningless in this debate is ridiculous. They took a survey, and of the people they served (note that many) they concluded that these two cities are miserable. They attached to that data that shows crime rate, heath related issues, and other percentages that can be misleading and decide to combine the two into a review of the cities! Honestly its not a fair way of doing things! Opinions have as much say in this room as anything else because this article isn't based off of flawless fact.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
These so called "facts" are statistical tallies of peoples opinions! So to say that opinions are meaningless in this debate is ridiculous. They took a survey, and of the people they served (note that many) they concluded that these two cities are miserable. They attached to that data that shows crime rate, heath related issues, and other percentages that can be misleading and decide to combine the two into a review of the cities! Honestly its not a fair way of doing things! Opinions have as much say in this room as anything else because this article isn't based off of flawless fact.
You are absolutely correct - it's all opinion - the surveyors opinions and the respondents opinions, but Cry cannot comprehend that (he thinks it's all FACTS )

Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,889,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
The methodology shows that minimum state surveys are 309, and that the margin of error is something like 5.7 on this sample size. Considering WV is one of the smallest states, the sample size is small and the margin of error is much greater, probably like 5% which would mean that WV might really be somewhere around 15th instead of last, based on this larger margin of error. And it's the surveyors own opinions as to what makes a state score high or low as it's their questions. In other words, if I smoke and hate veggies and don't exercise, I may be really happy, whereas quitting smoking, eating veggies I hate and forced exercise might make me miserable, but on these guy's scale, it will show the opposite in their results.

Again if you have proof there is an error please show us. 'Probably," doesnt cut it.

I look forward to the upcoming proof you are going to present. I am sure it wont be your opinion that this is all wrong based off your opinion that this is all wrong.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post

No, Chris that is statistical research.

If you have proof that the data is wrong by all means show this.

Facts arent fair and they dont try to be, as fair is an opinion. They are accurate and truthful.

If you have your own statistical proof that this info is wrong share it.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely correct - it's all opinion - the surveyors opinions and the respondents opinions, but Cry cannot comprehend that (he thinks it's all FACTS )
Yes, all the people denying this only have opinion and I do comprehend it. You and 2 or 3 other people dont like the facts so you are going to pretend they are wrong despite not understanding statistics and this research, and without being able to show any flaws in the data or having any alternative evidence. You all cannot comprehend these statistics (you think it's all OPINION )

I am very open to any evidence you have. So far in dozens of replies nobody has presented anything. People just are instead going, "it's not true! It cannot be true! I refuse to believe it!"

Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

Again if you have proof there is an error please show us. 'Probably," doesnt cut it.

I look forward to the upcoming proof you are going to present. I am sure it wont be your opinion that this is all wrong based off your opinion that this is all wrong.
You apparently never took statistics based on your comments. Sample size is a factor in margin of error, and when statisticians state sample size maximums and minimums for states, it means states like CA and TX have sample size at the high end, where little states like WV are on the small end, so my "probably" is actually "definite" - smaller sample size - they determine the happiness based on surveying 400 or 500 people, and yes, the smaller the sample size, the greater the margin of error. Do you understand that? And finally, its surveyors with opinions on what makes up happiness/misery or whatever, and then calling people for THEIR subjective answers to the subjective questions - that's real scientific and fact - for sure. Finally, the diff. between high and low is not all that much, not a whole lot more difference than the margin of error

Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
You apparently never took statistics based on your comments. Sample size is a factor in margin of error, and when statisticians state sample size maximums and minimums for states, it means states like CA and TX have sample size at the high end, where little states like WV are on the small end, so my "probably" is actually "definite" - smaller sample size - they determine the happiness based on surveying 400 or 500 people, and yes, the smaller the sample size, the greater the margin of error. Do you understand that? And finally, its surveyors with opinions on what makes up happiness/misery or whatever, and then calling people for THEIR subjective answers to the subjective question - that's real scientific and fact - for sure. Finally, the diff. between high and low is not all that much, not a whole lot more difference than the margin of error
Actually I have taken several, but apparently you havent. You cant say there is a problem without being able to show it. That is stat 101. If you are trying to say, "these stats are wrong I cant show you but trust me they are," you either never took a class or took a stat class at Marshall.

Please show where the statistics are wrong. Saying they are wrong is not enough. Get the numbers and mathematically show us where the issue is. Compare WV to the other data in other states and show the flaws.

Maybes dont cut it and if you claim to know statistics you would know this. Maybe they messed up and Charleston and Huntington are MUCH more miserable. Maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe. Maybe you are in denial.

If there is an issue you should be able to pinpoint it. If you cant do this you have nothing.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 06-25-2013 at 08:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Actually I have taken several, but apparently you havent. You cant say there is a problem without being able to show it. That is stat 101. If you are trying to say, "these stats are wrong I cant show you but trust me they are," you either never took a class or took a stat class at Marshall.

Please show where the statistics are wrong. Saying they are wrong is not enough. Get the numbers and mathematically show us where the issue is.

If there is an issue you should be able to pinpoint it. If you cant do this you have nothing.
You've taken several what? hits off the crack pipe? Clear your head for a moment and listen:
I did not and am not saying that the Gallup study is WRONG. I am NOT saying they made a mistake, or they ciphered wrong. What I AM saying is that the whole practice of survey-taking, although done in a scientific manner, does NOT necessarily provide accurate results. You have seen this from election results, where a poll that was done in accordance with strict statistical protocol, turns out to be totally wrong when the actual votes come in. BTW - took statistics, calculus, differential equations, as well as physics, chemistry, biology, etc. AT WVU - so if I am dumb and dont understand, I guess it's just a poor quality WVU education - one of those "freebie" degrees so to speak.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
You've taken several what? hits off the crack pipe? Clear your head for a moment and listen:
I did not and am not saying that the Gallup study is WRONG. I am NOT saying they made a mistake, or they ciphered wrong. What I AM saying is that the whole practice of survey-taking, although done in a scientific manner, does NOT necessarily provide accurate results. You have seen this from election results, where a poll that was done in accordance with strict statistical protocol, turns out to be totally wrong when the actual votes come in. BTW - took statistics, calculus, differential equations, as well as physics, chemistry, biology, etc. AT WVU - so if I am dumb and dont understand, I guess it's just a poor quality WVU education - one of those "freebie" degrees so to speak.
So in other words you cant find an actual problems nor do you have any evidence this is wrong. Your argument is basically, "This maybe is wrong, but I have no proof of this." If you dont mind Ill stick to the actual research over YOUR assumption that is not based on anything. If you have taken the classes you said you have you would understand.

*edit* This is not the first time Huntington has won this dubious honor either This is not the first time Huntington has won this dubious honor either

Last edited by cry_havoc; 06-25-2013 at 08:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia