Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,893,112 times

Advertisements

Lincoln, Neb., Bests All Cities in Wellbeing in 2012

Quote:

At 60.8, Charleston, W.Va., had the lowest Well-Being Index score, displacing Huntington-Ashland, W.Va.-Ky.-Ohio, which held this position the two previous years. Huntington-Ashland's score of 61.2 is up from 58.1 in 2010, which is the lowest score on record for any metro area across five years of data collection.
I wonder why this metro area always scores so low? I guess the MSA shift explains the change. The area must be happier than the cities.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 04-05-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 03:07 PM

4,988 posts, read 8,992,602 times
There was only a 12 point difference between #1 and #189. Too bad Charleston and Huntington are the only places looked at in the state.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
There was only a 12 point difference between #1 and #189. Too bad Charleston and Huntington are the only places looked at in the state.
Feel free to provide your own info that shows other areas.

Keep me updated.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 PM

939 posts, read 1,895,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Feel free to provide your own info that shows other areas.

Keep me updated.
tbailey is simply stating that only Charleston-Huntington were of enough significance to be considered for a study. Total population was likely a reason Morgantown wasn't considered, as it's a village compared to those two (combined) areas.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
tbailey is simply stating that only Charleston-Huntington were of enough significance to be considered for a study. Total population was likely a reason Morgantown wasn't considered, as it's a village compared to those two (combined) areas.
Well Morgantown is bigger, but Morgantown is irrelevant to Huntington and Charleston being the places with the lowest well being in the US. If you have any proof that the well being is similar please share it. Until then Charleston is the most miserable place in the US and Huntington is 2nd.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 PM

939 posts, read 1,895,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Well Morgantown is bigger, but Morgantown is irrelevant to Huntington and Charleston being the places with the lowest well being in the US. If you have any proof that the well being is similar please share it. Until then Charleston is the most miserable place in the US and Huntington is 2nd.
The only thing Morgantown is bigger in is in the ego of posters who have limited connections to the area. By raw population, both Charleston and Huntington dwarf motown. The story is the same if you compare metro populations.

Looks, as awesome as Motown is, it simply is not Charleston. You may like it more, but by all measurable statistics, it's not on the same plane of existence. Fifty years from now it might be the new Pittsburgh (it won't), but not anytime soon. Charleston has a living population of around 51K, but has a metro of 300k+. In addition to that, the city probably has a daytime population of 150k, which would exceed the entire metro area of Morgantown.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
The only thing Morgantown is bigger in is in the ego of posters who have limited connections to the area. By raw population, both Charleston and Huntington dwarf motown. The story is the same if you compare metro populations.

Looks, as awesome as Motown is, it simply is not Charleston. You may like it more, but by all measurable statistics, it's not on the same plane of existence. Fifty years from now it might be the new Pittsburgh (it won't), but not anytime soon. Charleston has a living population of around 51K, but has a metro of 300k+. In addition to that, the city probably has a daytime population of 150k, which would exceed the entire metro area of Morgantown.
Census, yes. However with the students Morgantown has more people than both Charleston and Huntington and not even you can deny that. Same with the metro area. If the students were counted and the PA area it is bigger.

So like I have said if you were to start in the center of Morgantown, Huntington, and Charleston and go 10 miles out in every direction like a circle Morgantown would have more people than CHarleston and Huntington at 10 miles, 20, 30, etc. Up until 50 miles Morgantown would not be that much bigger than them. However at 100 miles it would be much bigger. So in the same area that your proud Charleston-Huntington area has around 500k people Morgantown would have 2+ million, in the same area. In raw numbers we are bigger. It is just due to arbitrary criteria that the people are not counted and I could care less about made up designations. We have more actual people.

Dont get me wrong Charleston and Huntington are cute little towns, in the same way that a teacup chihuahua is cute. However, your really small metro areas are not the topic. The topic is how Charleston and Huntington are the 2 most depressed unhappy cities in the country. Like I said if you have proof that there is another city that should be included please by all means share it. Until then the facts stand that Charleston is the most miserable town in the country and Huntington is a close second.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,162,311 times
How can Charleston and Huntington be called towns when they are the largest cities in the state?

I question this gallup poll because neither Detroit or Flint Michigan are included and those two places have been named, in the past, near the top or at the top of depressing city lists.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,074,392 times
Quote:
Some people have been in Virginia too long, and others don't spend enough time visiting their inlaws. Nothing personal, understand. They used census metro data to make the comparisons. It has nothing to do with villages any place. Our area is populated to the same extent as any other regardless of arbitrary and changing census designations. If we could get the contrarian local politicos to change their stance in Clarksburg, we'd have the largest so called metro "within" our state, but they continue to fight for autonomy in Harrison.

At any rate, personally I doubt the validity of these so called "studies" that compare one area with another and come up with negative conclusions. In my opinion the person conducting the "study" has an agenda, and is simply looking for a convenient scapegoat to validate that agenda. Odds are people are just as well and happy in Huntington, and Charleston as they are any place else, and the person conducting the study has likely never been to either place. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 PM

10,260 posts, read 15,971,562 times
I have never been to Huntington, but I don't see how CHarleston ranks so low.

Most New Jersey cities and many Pennsylvania cities are far more miserable. At least Charleston has very little traffic and crime compared to other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia