Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,392 times

Advertisements

Shoppers flock to stores for Black Friday deals - journal-news.net | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal

Locals hold protest at local store - journal-news.net | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal

The Journal wrote an article about the Black Friday shoppers around Martinsburg, as well as at The Commons. I am sure a lot of you have seen this article but just in case.

Also, there was a protest at Michael's Arts & Crafts Friday morning. Apparently the corp. decided not to allow the Salvation army to ring there famous bells in front of their stores, very interesting. The second link has all of the details. -mmccul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 11:38 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,182 times
Default GameStop

The GameStop store is now opened in the Commons. The store opened last Friday next to Pet Smart.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:44 PM

240 posts, read 831,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
The GameStop store is now opened in the Commons. The store opened last Friday next to Pet Smart.

I was at the mall tonight and noticed the gamestop is still open in there. I wonder if this is just for the holidays? If they leave it open there will be 3 Gamestop stores in Martinsburg and two within a mile of each other.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 AM

735 posts, read 1,170,182 times
Default Gamestop

There were actually two stores vying for that location. Gamestop and Play N Trade. In my opinion, the wrong store won. I would have preferred Play N Trade to be at the Commons for the following reasons: 1) Gamestop has a enough stores in the area- they are a large chain with a lot of influence. 2) Play N Trade is a small chain trying to compete with the big boys. 3) Play N Trade focuses not only on modern gaming systems (like Gamestop) but also classic gaming systems that Gamestop won't support or sell (like the Atari 2600).

I have a feeling that Gamestop was able to carry some influence with the leasing division of the Commons to win out over Play N Trade. Play N Trade only has three stores in the DC metro and a fourth in the Martinsburg area would have been great.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 AM

That's disappointing news, I would have loved to see a Play N Trade store at the Commons. I imagine they wouldn't be allowed in the center now because it would create two competing stores. I am not a fan of Gamestop, on a couple occasions I have bought games from them at new price only to find the game was used. What a rip.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times
Personally think there's too many Gamestop stores around. I've seen two in the same mall even. Say, isn't that like having two Starbuck's on the same block?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 PM

29 posts, read 118,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
The Bombay opened in Kearneysville just recently and say they are going to open another in Martinsburg by the theatre near the Mall sometime in November.

Bombay Peacock Palace Kearneysville - Martinsburg - Kearneysville | Urbanspoon

Would like to try the Indian restaurant in Kearneysville out someday but I'm hesitant because it's usually spicy food. I've been to a Jamaican restaurant in DC, and asked for no little to no spice. Ah, I don't think that's possible. Still haven't been to Kobe's, the Japanese restaurant. Gotta make it a point some day, I know.
I visited Bombay Peacock last night, and I must say I was pleased. The place is a tad small, probably 12-14 tables, but business was good. My wife had the Spinach Chicken Curry, and I had the Chicken Vindaloo. Both were excellent, and full of flavor. Even the chef came out and asked us how the meal was -- impressive.

We also spoke with the owners during our meal. They mentioned that they can alter the spice level to conform to your liking. So, if you think something will be to spicy, you can ask for a milder version.

They also mentioned the Martinsburg location (same building as the Long & Foster) has had a setback, but still plan on proceeding. It also sounds like they will have a store in Hagerstown, and perhaps a couple franchises in the immediate DC area.

They also tell us that the head chef is making a recipe book to go on sale in a few months, full of various Indian dishes. If this is true, I can't wait. I'll be there to snatch one up.

My wife and I will be going back. There are many more dishes we want to try.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:04 PM

Well it sounds like Martinsburg may see another Shopping Center by AIG Baker.

There was a blurb in the Herald today about it:
West Virginia: 3 developers of Martinsburg-area projects apply for stimulus program

Quote:
The Orchard Park Retail Development project was submitted by John Abernathy of AIG Baker, the developer of The Commons shopping center off Exit 12 of Interstate 81 just south of Martinsburgā€™s city limits.
Hammond said the new retail project is proposed to open near The Commons, which opened this summer.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:18 PM

267 posts, read 1,360,827 times
With all this growth in regards to Martinsburg..sad that other than the local Journal, nobody in the media seems to notice!! Hmmmmmm.

WLTF "Lite 97 Five" in the trades considers themselves as a "Hagerstown" station that serves..Hagerstown. And last I checked they seem to be more in the Hagerstown and even Winchester area businesses than with Martinsburg? Stupid !!!

Martinsburg's Oldies 95.9 FM....its all Hagerstown..nothing from Martinsburg even though they are right there on Queen Street !!

WEPM 1340...ever since morning guy Jay Young's massive stroke last year and the firing of popular Rob Mario....they too are getting more into Hagerstown it seems..less with Martinsburg.

WRNR 740...who the hell knows if they even make it to 2011 !!!!

and that channel 60 ION/PAX....other than their tower they are really a Washington station now.

Martinsburg could do better !!!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 AM

308 posts, read 798,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
Well it sounds like Martinsburg may see another Shopping Center by AIG Baker.

There was a blurb in the Herald today about it:
West Virginia: 3 developers of Martinsburg-area projects apply for stimulus program
Is this the project that was supposed to be by KMART off route 9 and if not whatever happened to it which was supposed to include HOME DEPOT and BJ'S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia