Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 09:59 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Havetosay no doubt taxes are necessary to pay for this that and the other serving a community. Problem is at what level of taxation to pay for what and how long a time line are we talking to pay? If you must have everything now and carrying debt longer has it's own secondary price tag it means steep payback schedules that not everyone in a community can absorb. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm thinking most citizens throughout america would prefer seeing a government behave as they do with their own household budgets. Don't spend more than you make being job one. Unfortunately political seasons being what they are, everyone wants to look like a hero to the detriment of a balanced checkbook.
Great point -- I just think of Maryland or western PA that seem to have more developed recreational infrastructure but not sure what their budgetary situations are like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 AM

26,426 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
My parkersburg granny moved to chatham NY at the end of taconic parkway right alongside mass/vt border. Horse country, dairy farms, quakers, shakers, one traffic light, one dairy queen, 3 churches; sweet as a frank capra film. Yuppies came and every house was martha stewart vintage $300k price tags overnight. Sad. Gentrification is your first sign of trouble. Too bad they didn't have aliceT working for them at the time. Downstate had the same thing happen but they just worked 20hrs more a week in NYC economy to cover the bill. Upstate really didn't have that economic option to compensate.

Ironic thing about upstate taxes was I don't think they knew just how much downstate was subsidizing them all along. When folks fought for more local control with municipalities and r governor pataki came in, he ended the multiple subsidies and gave them what they asked (stuck paying for rural infrastructure alone). Downstate on the other hand was free to upgrade what was already existing with their surplus money (which was theirs all along). Sales tax in NY is a combined fee of state & county, and downstate was paying 8 3/4 cents for years. It never went down much despite surpluses.

I think the worst thing to happen was upstate dairies who were getting subsidy to keep milk prices low for the whole state were basically forced out of business by other dairies trucked in from VA with lesser overhead. Overall result for everyone was negative because milk went up to $3.50 gallon, butter $5, small family farms couldn't compete and crashed, less jobs, money leaving the state, WIC money didn't stretch as far and I believe those deficits had to come out of individual county coffers (raising local taxes even more).
I'll bet if they had it to do over again they'd leave sleeping dogs lie and let the state handle the bigger picture for the greater good. Downstate piggies got used to bigger piles and just got more and more foolish with $$$. IMO too many layers of gov't solving one problem is the open door for ignorance and weasels to reproduce, all the while nothing gets solved. Both parties.
Thanks for that explanation regarding upstate New York.
+1

Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
I remember a few years back BLM ran out of money and the grand canyon was supposed to get 'shut down' for lack of fed $$$ and budget arguments. Land turns off when unattended? The wildlife got confused about where they had to be?

Budget item I look at and it makes me chuckle... Wildlife Mgmt.
I get a cartoon picture of squirrels and deer being taught to march single file for their allotment of acorns and salt licks.

Of course I know that's silly, there's far more to it than the cartoon in my head, but I'm hoping these branches of gov't can see less is more. Do a better job at following natures plan by directing our plans to compensate wild life's forced adaptation to man encroaching on territory. Let them and nature figure out the rest by leaving them be. The more we interfere with schemes the bigger mess we make.

Want to save the whales, the owls, the bears, the eagles, the whatever-- think twice about the poop we put out there. Better way to go about it IMO. Love them enough to leave them be.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 AM

26,426 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
And the sad part Granite is the locals keep voting the same bunch of bandits in office again and again. The other sad part is the younger and working age leave, then come to places like Georgia where I am now and start campaigning for similiar yokes down here, wanting more "government", go figure
I lived in NJ for 10 years and loved it, the shore, Philly, NYC, all so close, plus peace and quiet in the SE and NW part of the state. Got to the point when my property taxes hit 8,000 plus per year, 6 years ago, the same house now is 13K per year, we took the transfer to Chicago for a 3 year stint. I used to get so upset election after election, would be active to move the scumbags out, and yet the population goes and votes them back by a landslide, after 90 days and "another surprise" tax increase without a vote, they ask why,

It's a tough question. Of course if your in NH, by your moniker I gather you know the game from all the Bean Town tax lovers coming into Nashua by the droves Running from the Taxation but not losing the thought process.

WV does have an overall tax bite when compared nationally, but low in comparision to the NE.

I am an Independent center-left voter, and tend to be more fiscally conservative. I am center-left on social isssues. Basically, I vote for the best individuals in the local elections regardless of party. However, I generally do not vote for anyone who indirectly wants to raise taxes or implement NEW taxes. Remember, NH does not have a sales tax or state income tax, and we like it to stay that way

Old 12-03-2008, 05:13 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesee View Post
My husband has started an online business after getting his WV LLC. selling records..45's mostly.. with the dream of opening a record store one day somewhere within the state..( let me know if you see any!! in the whole state or any ajoining states!). !
There's a shop in Kanawha City called Budget Tapes and Records. They sell old records, etc. and much more (including adult items). Interesting shop - similar to the type of shop which in the 70's we called a "head" shop. If you aren't familiar with the term - a head shop sold items used in the process of altering your brain as well as incense, etc.

PS. Glad you are enjoying WV and the greater Chas area. So far we are having an earlier winter than we have had in the last few years. Good luck with the record business.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:19 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavetoSay View Post
Little investment in natural, cultural and athletics outside football....eg., try finding a YMCA in the Eastern Panhandle...the locals recently fought it off...No sidewalks, v. dangerous to walk on curvy roads w/ no shoulders...
I got lost - where are you talking about "Little investment in natural, cultural"? West Virginia? Surely not.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:28 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
vec101: I picked up on that too..Havetosay....'not knowing what they are talking about...either a high school kid on break or somebody surfing through...

Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM

63 posts, read 200,266 times
Hi! Thank you about the Budget ..yeah...it's more head/sex..then record store these days. We look to thrift/junk/antiques stores..flea markets and just word of mouth to find them. ANd auctions. If you hear of any , please let me know. We are always looking/ buying. It's what is keeping a roof over our heads... SO far ,so good! I am bummed about the cold snap lately, especially when I hear how warm it was last year. I do get a bit if relief when I talk to the folks in Western New York and hear about the feet..feet of snow they have piling up and the really fridgid weather! I just love the location here. Puts us close to so many great things too. Steve( my husband) found a whole bunch of records and record stores in and around Columbus a few weeks back. Still need to make more contacts and then explore KY too. I wanted to move for the beauty and the people here in WV..( and love your accents!) BUT IT'S TURNED OUT TO BE A BONUS when it comes to scratchin out a living for my husband with his records.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:26 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Genesee and DK you've gotta laugh hard at this one in upstate NY-- The cow flatulence tax

Maybe they should get a tax credit if they put beano in the feed.

wnyt.com - Farmers think cow tax plan stinks (http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S689759.shtml?cat=300 - broken link)

Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 AM

63 posts, read 200,266 times
Moo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia