Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times

Advertisements

yeah, he didn't open another can of worms with me.. I'm just saying it would offend me if someone called me a hillbilly because I'm from WV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Actually I prefer the term 'redneck' over 'hillbilly'. One less syllable I have to deal with.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:03 AM

330 posts, read 1,314,314 times
Question Slurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Actually I prefer the term 'redneck' over 'hillbilly'. One less syllable I have to deal with.
What would you rather be referred to as?

Appalachian, Hick, Hillbilly, Redneck, Rebel, White Trash, Country Bumpkin, Farmer in the Del, Mountaineer,
Mountain Man, Cracker, Quaker Oats, Ozark or Person who lives in the country?

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-13-2008 at 12:45 AM..

Old 09-13-2008, 07:20 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
You can call us anything you want...but don't cross our state border unarmed.

that's a joke...well, not in some counties....

Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
You can call us anything you want...but don't cross our state border unarmed.

that's a joke...well, not in some counties....
Most people would like to live in the country out in the fresh air. But, their job or whatever else is keeping them in the city. Slurs for people who live in the city...(City Slicker, Burb, etc.,) Who knows?

Old 09-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Question City Slurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
Most people would like to live in the country out in the fresh air. But, their job or whatever else is keeping them in the city. Slurs for people who live in the city...(City Slicker, Burb, etc.,) Who knows?
City Slurs:

City Slicker, Burb, Hammer Head, Drug Dealer, Pimp, Soccer Mom, Sugar Daddy and Trophy Wife.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:34 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Here's the short version of what I heard about the term "hillbilly". The mountain region in western Virginia was settled by Scots. In Scotland the term "billy" meant someone fiercely loyal and a great warrior. George Washington said at the start of the Revolution something to the effect of: "Give me an army of those billies from the hills in western Virginia and I'll beat the British in six months." That was supposed to have started the term "hillbilly". George had done a lot of the surveying in western Virginia and he and his family owned property there, so he was familiar with those western billies.

By now everyone knows that the miner's war in Matewan was where the term "redneck" started because they all wore red bandannas around their necks for identification. What a lot of people don't know is that they were instigated by that famous communist, Mother Jones.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:11 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Interesting info. TY Buzz

Old 09-14-2008, 08:52 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Wikipedia discusses a number of possible origins for "hillbilly".

Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 AM

18 posts, read 111,321 times
Default I'd move back in a heartbeat!

I am in a retirement job in Texas. It is only a state road job but it does have insurance and retirement....which I can take advantage of in about four years. Trouble with going home when I retire is I now have kids that were raised here and grandkids too. They arent just gonna relocate so this old man can relive a dream of sorts.Neither is my wife, who is from Texas. That leaves me with spending a few months at a time back home. I hope to build an efficiency cabin with some of the luxuries of modern day living.
I was reading that long, informative post and they got ta talking about Walmart and the economy in general. I just wanted to chime in that my employer....the great state of Texas......has had major cutbacks in its management in the last year of so. Some of them have been told that the state is closing down the section they are reporting to and they have ninty days to either relocate closer to their new reporting location or drive their own vehicles that far, sometimes as high as fifty or more miles, or find new employment. Also, there are 25 districts here in Texas and each has its own district engineer with all the various top echelon chain of command. Well guess what? Yep, we could have done without them all along cause they downsized to just 4 major districts and we are getting along just fine.
Seems like we have a calm before the storm brewing too. After telling us for the last five years or so that when someone retires or quits, we cant replace their postion, now they have decided to hire or transfer more employees. We got one new one and our brother section got two new ones. Myself and a buddy were talking last night . He also works for TXDOT. He is an inspector while I am just a road tech. We both decided that most people think it is over and all is peachy. We DONT THINK SO!
Well it is rainin' outside and thunderin......makin me wish I was back home in the beautiful hills. It seems EVERYTHING makes me wish that!
Happy Belated Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia