Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,167 times

Advertisements

I guess your only choice is to move to New Jersey then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Well I live in the northern panhandle and the job situation here is TERRIBLE. The only thing that saves us is that we live near Pittsburgh...but it sucks to have to drive 50+ minutes each way for a job 5 days a week. Also there is hardly any single women over 25 without kids which is a classic Appalachia problem. The last 4 women I have dated have all been from the Pittsburgh metro area I cannot find anyone hardly in WV.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
The "SuperWalmart's" usually do NOT have what I need because they don't stock their shelves, and furthermore their "fresh" vegetables are TERRIBLE!!! Buying wilted lettuce, brown cauliflower, shriveled cucumbers, over ripe banannas, rotten potatoes, etc...are not my cup of tea, nor is it quality items. Sorry, but all of the other stores you mention are stores I prefer NOT to shop at.

Also, I only buy Boar's Head lunch meat products, and I have yet to find any store in the area that carries those products!!!

Well if Boar's goes out of business, where are you going to by food ?

Walmarts have a lot of good stuff. Sounds like you must be going at the end of the day when everyone has got the good things, and left you with the left overs.

Those other stores can't be all that bad either.

You could grow your own ! ! !

Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 AM

75 posts, read 140,743 times
I currently live SW PA about an hour north of Morgantown. I have traveled much of WV and absolutely love everything about it. If I could find work down there I'd move there in a heartbeat. I look for work in WV at least twice a week. I love everything that WV represents, the people have always been very nice, there are numerous beautiful areas, and so much to do (loving the outdoors as I do). Living as close to WV as I do, I hear all the jokes about the state about inbreeding and all the "hillbillies" that live down there. Well I'll tell ya one thing, I haven't met a "hillbilly" down there that I didn't enjoy talking to. I know every area has friendly and not friendly people, but to me WV folks just seem more laid back and hospitable. Everyone has there own "type" of people they feel comfortable around as well as a certain lifestyle they enjoy, for me those are found in WV.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM

396 posts, read 923,985 times
So far WV has been the best state I've ever lived in.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:54 PM

28 posts, read 78,187 times
Because of the stereotypes of West Virginia. But heh, that is what makes it the best kept secret and allows us West Virginians to enjoy a fantastic quality of life for cheap.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 AM

130 posts, read 367,937 times
I prefer to keep it the best kept secret. I have no desire to be like CA, NY, or any other state for that matter. I like it just the way it is.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 15,244 times
We just bought near the new river gorge bridge. A beautiful house with 100 acres to use as a second home and rent out to lucky renters. It is near Fayetteville. You all should check out this area - BEAUTIFUL.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:13 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I think it's mostly the economy, reputation, and some people want more of the glitz and glamour of BIG cities (or close to big cities). Most people think of us all as poor, stupid hillbillies with outhouses and no running water. You can still find some places like that back in the hollers and there are a lot of old coal mining/timber towns that would probably be better off razed and rebuilt.

As to Charleston and its population, I'd be curious to see a comparison of the stats of the Kanawha Valley rather than Charleston alone. That would give more of an indication as to whether "Charleston" has lost a large population or if they are still in the area. Land in Charleston is scarce. Even with housing as it is nationally, they are still building a lot of spec homes in South Charleston and Putnam County.
I think your post sums it up pretty well. However, saying "welcome to WV we now have running water, no outhouses, and modern housing with nice roads" isn't exactly the things most people consider up and coming in 2010. That sounds like a postcard from 1950.

These days most young professions, those will college degrees, etc. want to live in a place that is talking about things like mass transit, urban redevelopment, jobs, higher standard of living, good education, etc. I think this explains the issue here. Living the rural lifestyle or saying "we have modern amenities" isn't going to cut it.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:17 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montani View Post
To Gottasay:
Native West Virginians like their state as is. We don't want more population, illegal aliens, muslims, or any other hell raising minority in our state. We like the sparse population, church going people, independent people that will fight for their guns and their rights like no other state. We like our country ways and we don't like people that move here for our open forests and mountains then want to increase the population or add new restrictions and laws. We live by our state motto, Montani Sempre Libri, (Mountaineers Are Always Free!). We do our own work and want the lowest taxes possible. If that means there are not all the services that some states and cities have, that is okay. We don't need them. So don't move here and expect the services or want to change things. We are taxed enough already (hence the strong TEA Party movement). Most of us do not wnat West Virginia to "grow". All that brings is more crime, more crowds, and more taxes. We are mostly conservative Christians in this state and want it to stay that way.
Honestly, this thread gets more proving of why I wouldn't want to live there by the minute. It's fine you have your "ways", but they are not the "ways/ideologies" of the country in 2010. Hence, many people would not want to live in WV. It is pretty self explanatory. The culture of WV is a place many wouldn't want to be part of. I could deal with the natural beauty, but I am a gay young profession and would not be welcome in your state. I'll stay in Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia