Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 PM

537 posts, read 958,931 times

Advertisements

For those of you waiting with bated breath...

The new place is called East India House (I think I got that right), and a guy working there said that they'll open "within a week".

I hope it's good. I like King's, but could sure use some (good) variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM

385 posts, read 1,921,016 times
Everyone...

I just ate at East India House this evening (they opened today).

The head chef is Yudhbir Rawat, my FAVORITE Indian chef in the area (perhaps anywhere). You will not be disappointed with the food. They were slammed this evening, and they only have one server, so it was kind of slow, but, like always, the food was phenomenal.

I really hope they stay for good.

Here is a link to their facebook page: East India House | Facebook

Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM

166 posts, read 363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
Everyone...

I just ate at East India House this evening (they opened today).

The head chef is Yudhbir Rawat, my FAVORITE Indian chef in the area (perhaps anywhere). You will not be disappointed with the food. They were slammed this evening, and they only have one server, so it was kind of slow, but, like always, the food was phenomenal.

I really hope they stay for good.

Here is a link to their facebook page: East India House | Facebook
Can you suggest a dish for someone who has never tried Indian food? I've always wanted to, but I don't have a clue what to order.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 PM

84 posts, read 202,146 times
Chicken Tikka with/rice and naan bread is usually a safe bet if you've never had Indian food.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 PM

Curry is pretty basic, methinks. And I can tell you I've gone to this place once now, had the chicken curry, and LOVED it.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM

They will make any dish to any spiciness level you want: 1 - 10

I tried the Chicken Chilly and it was awesome. Another suggestion is to try any Tandoori style meal.. it's like dry rubbed barbecue with Indian spices. I've never been a fan of generic Curry Chicken. It's kind of boring to me. Chicken Tikka Masala (aka Butter Chicken) is for the less adventurous (but still very good).

For appetizers, try Samosas... they are like deep fried pockets of chicken or potatoes (w/peas). I personally like the Samosa Chat (chopped up potato samosas with spiced chickpeas and tamarind sauce), but you really gotta like chickpeas to enjoy that dish. And for dessert, order Kheer - a sweetened rice pudding with crushed pistachios or a Mango Lassi (sort of a mango smoothie with a yogurt base).

Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM

166 posts, read 363,010 times
Thanks for the suggestions & descriptions! I'll have to be adventurous soon!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 AM

Also for dessert... how could I forget? Gulab Jamun. They are like doughnut holes soaked in a flavored sugar syrup. I like them even better than kheer. However, they are VERY sweet. Sometimes too sweet for some folks.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:57 AM

Well, it looks like this space will be empty again. The owner of East India House is closing the restaurant. He is looking for a better location.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
Well, it looks like this space will be empty again. The owner of East India House is closing the restaurant. He is looking for a better location.
Wow, I had guessed June '13, wasn't too far off.

I don't know if he needs a better location, he might need to make tastier food. I dunno, to each his own, of course, but I went back there 5 or 6 times, never found any other dish I liked much other than the chicken curry. And I didn't like the prices (relative to the food, I guess).

Thx for the update.

*sigh* NEXT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia