Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 PM

537 posts, read 958,931 times

Advertisements

Like:
- Lack of traffic. After 25 years of driving in the DC area, omg is it great out here.
- And it's beautiful out here. Whenever I return from MD, going down 340 getting close to the two rivers... my heart is happy.
- Slower pace of life. Not too slow, just about right.

Don't like:
- As atheists, we don't seem to fit in too well. That's probably true in much of America, but I think moreso here. Better than in the Deep South, I'm sure, but I never felt out of place in the DC suburbs.
- Not a whole lot of choices for good restaurants.

Overall though, I really love being out here. I'm in the Harpers Ferry area, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 02:29 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Hope you get a chance to get into the heart of Wv this summer and do some camping...

Wv was a sacred place to the Shawnee..thought God dwelt here.

Can understand the revulsion to churches...but as for being athiest...lol...the day will come and the change will be made...God might be a colonizer of the universe...an extra-terrestral.
Somewhat like a home builder of the universe, but on a larger scale.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Like:
- Lack of traffic. After 25 years of driving in the DC area, omg is it great out here.
- And it's beautiful out here. Whenever I return from MD, going down 340 getting close to the two rivers... my heart is happy.
- Slower pace of life. Not too slow, just about right.

Don't like:
- As atheists, we don't seem to fit in too well. That's probably true in much of America, but I think moreso here. Better than in the Deep South, I'm sure, but I never felt out of place in the DC suburbs.
- Not a whole lot of choices for good restaurants.

Overall though, I really love being out here. I'm in the Harpers Ferry area, btw.
One time when I was in high school I was over at my best friends house... We were all sitting around the table playing rummy, myself, best friend, and her mother... and her mom was like... "what church do you go to Cody?" and I was like..."I don't go to church." GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUUUUUUU DON'T!!!

ha ha I know the feeling guys

Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,178 times
Ive lived in WV 27 years and have seen most of the state....

Bad...
There is a big disparity in health care, education, finances, etc among lower populated areas and "cities" such as Parkersburg, Charleston, Huntington, and Morgantown. It is usually these rural places that people think of first when thinking of WV.

Not as many opportunities as more progressive states/areas

A lack of things to do that dont pertain to outdoor activities

Good....
Absolutely beautiful if you go to the right places
Less hectic for the most part
Lots and lots of outdoor activities
Some diversity within the state in regards to population and landscape

Old 03-05-2010, 06:56 AM

95 posts, read 291,107 times
Love the mountains and rivers!its rare to find so much undisturbed beauty.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:57 PM

@jrm1027

You say "Some diversity within the state in regards to population"...

The US Census 2008 estimate shows WV is almost 95% white. 4% black, rest other. 1% identify as Hispanic/Latino.

That ain't much diversity at all! I guess it's technically "some diversity", but geez...

Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Jefferson Co. is a bit better than the state as a whole:
90% white, 7% black, rest other.
4% identify as Hispanic/Latino.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 PM

95 posts, read 291,107 times
Ive been swayed so much by my recent trips to wv that ive made the decision to relocate there instead of ND.I honestly find wv to be the best kept secret in the usa.The folks that are knocking the peace and tranquility that it offers need to come to savannah Ga for a spell.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
With all that snow, WV around Buckhannon looks pretty. On the bad side, it's an anomalously snowy winter in WV, normally it's not this pretty. Coal occurs in 53 of West Virginia's 55 Counties this combined with a tricky concept of mineral rights makes a poisonous concoction. Surface mines and stupid billboards saying "Coal - clean energy source" are not particularly likable either.

Womanhood in the heart of Wv seems to be quite porky, not on the pretty side either, it's perplexing with all those mountains and state land around. I've seen quite a few "deliverance" like facial types, golden mine for the Hollywood stereotype machine, I guess those were undiluted aborigines.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
@jrm1027

You say "Some diversity within the state in regards to population"...

The US Census 2008 estimate shows WV is almost 95% white. 4% black, rest other. 1% identify as Hispanic/Latino.

That ain't much diversity at all! I guess it's technically "some diversity", but geez...
Im a little biased because Im in healthcare so I see a lot of people from all over the world. I think the overall trend is growing toward greater diversity, specifically in higher populated areas. But, yes I agree, it is far from a "melting pot" here in WV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia