Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,455 times

Advertisements

almost 17 years of living about 45 minutes north of Charleston - first on a ridge top farm in Wirt County that required a 30 minute drive to the nearest Pepsi and afterwards, on the outskirts of a town with a population of just over 200. That was Cairo, which has found me missing W.V. like crazy (moved back south, to south Louisiana 2 years ago) and hoping to move back soon!
i honestly cannot agree in regards to West Virginians letting you know right off if you're liked or not, nor about no "behind the back" talk. While not "bubbly", everyone where I lived, was always polite and courteous, to a fault. Best way to know the honest opinions was to visit outside the tiny post office, fire station (volunteer, but I'd put them up against any big city fire department!) or the one small general store. Vibrant gossip peppered with truths concerning who did what, who wasn't accepted or liked, UNTIL the topic of discussion passes by at which point there's a friendly nod and/or "how ya doin' today? Is the arm all healed?"
Crazy (and a bit funny at times) but, regardless of all that, any and all ill feelings are non-existent when a disaster strikes. Be it a widespread power outage lasting for weeks (following Sandy) or an ice storm causing weeks of power outage PLUS combined with many stuck, unable to leave their homes. Everyone takes care of everyone, checking up on and hauling supplies to folks stuck home on ridge tops, hauling water etc...every chainsaw and 4 wheel drive being utilized to help out. I recall the Red Cross setting up in our little community building. They were amazed that no one showed up for shelter, blankets, first aide or food. Rumor has it they weren't happy when our mayor suggested they go somewhere else to help, because "We've taken care of our own."
Must have been catching, now that I think about it because, I recall my lugging a large pot of homemade soup and my two new pair of wool LL Bean socks thru heavy snow, -8 degree weather, down the road to a neighbor I really REALLY disliked...
Sorry, once the soapbox is dragged out, I step up and start rambling. Blessings to all, Dinah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia