Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 09:46 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed1USA View Post
Or the affluence that's already in Port Chester. I'd say the multimillion dollar houses there qualify. I know this post is dated but you never someone could be reading it today like I am.
I just search realtor.com. There isn't one million dollar home in Port Chester - never mind a multimillion dollar home. It's far from an affluence community. Whole Foods positioned its store on the edge of Port Chester. It's for the Rye population while taking advantage of Port Chester's lower taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 10:33 PM

821 posts, read 773,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I just search realtor.com. There isn't one million dollar home in Port Chester - never mind a multimillion dollar home. It's far from an affluence community. Whole Foods positioned its store on the edge of Port Chester. It's for the Rye population while taking advantage of Port Chester's lower taxes.
There are a few areas of Port Chester school district with $ million dollar plus homes. They are usually near the water (several houses on Hilltop Drive sold for $1.8mm - $2.9mm the last few years). Those houses are in the minority and it's likely those families send their kids to private school.

The larger % of Port Chester mailing addresses that have million dollar plus homes are part of the Rye Brook school district.

I agree with Yorktown Gal though, Port Chester is not known for affluence at all.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:31 AM

317 posts, read 311,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblack87 View Post
Hi all,

1) Budget - we understand that our budget is low for a single family in westchester, but from what I've seen, it is not completely out of the question - budget is $400-450k - I'm fairly handy and a diyer. So I'm willing to renovate something.

2) proximity to GCT via metro north and driving distance to Queens. We'd like to stay on the more south eastern side of westchester due to our individual commutes

3) resale value - this is the factor where the school district comes in for us...we are not planning on children for at least another 3-5 years, so it would be 8-10 years before children are school age and by that time our incomes as well as our family will likely outgrow our "starter" house. I know the school district will effect resale value - but how much will it really effect it if we stay there for a longer period of time like say 10 years?
Forget about starter house. You need to buy an apartment in downtown New Rochelle. Something like this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...16250491_zpid/

The building is walking distance to metro north with quick commute to GCT. Driving time to Queens is under 30 minutes. Price appreciation is guaranteed, given all the revitalization that is going on in NR downtown.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:39 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Port Chester is much smaller than New Rochelle or White Plains, so there isn't as much variety. Though Port Chester has some really nice sections, mainly off King Street heading up in the direction of Rye Brook.

I think the schools in all 3 locations are questionable to one degree or another. If you plan to have kids, I would think about that. Port Chester is not particularly high performing as a school district. New Rochelle and White Plains are very varied in terms of schools/neighborhoods. I know the least about White Plains.

New Rochelle High School, IMO, is only good if you are in the honors program. New Rochelle has one middle school that is OK and one that has a bad reputation. So I think you need to be careful there.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:30 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Port Chester High School -

Read - https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/schoolsearch...D=362346003278

Quote:
Port Chester Senior High School

#2,644 in National Rankings

#246 in New York High Schools

Total Economically Disadvantaged (% of total) 70%

Free Lunch Program (% of total) 60%

Reduced-Price Lunch Program (% of total) 10%

Graduation Rate - 82% (somewhat below state median)

Eligible for Title I Funding- Yes
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-13982

It is a Title 1 school meaning Port Chester poverty level is 75%. The program provides supplemental funds to school districts to assist schools with large concentrations of low income students to help meet their educational goals.

My son attended Stepinac (all boy school) high school. All I know about the White Plains High School was girls who auditioned for the female roles. The girls looked like nice, intelligent and normal kids.

White Plains High School -

Quote:
Total Economically Disadvantaged (% of total) 58%

Free Lunch Program (% of total) 52%

Reduced-Price Lunch Program (% of total) 6%

Graduation Rate 88% (around state median)
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-14179

It is NOT a Title 1 school. It's more diverse with more Black and White students and less Hispanic students.

https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/schoolsearch...D=363126004188
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County