Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 AM

395 posts, read 1,619,106 times

Advertisements

I'll be able to shed more light on this topic once we actually move in later this month, but so far everyone we've come across in Chappaqua has been welcoming and friendly. Our sellers are a very nice family with elementary-aged kids (staying in Chap just moving to a bigger house), everyone at the school and school district office, town hall, etc. has been nice, and our new neighbors went out of their way to meet and chat with us when we were at the house the other day.

I do agree with Havoc that people tend to be more private in the residential areas. Not as many people milling around and visiting each other as in a "village" environment where the homes are close together and everyone hangs out on each other's porches. I actually prefer to have a bit more space and not have people stopping by constantly or knowing my business 24/7, so I'm fine with this. I do know that one of our neighbors has an annual holiday party for the block and there is a contingent of dog owners who get together regularly and walk their dogs. Most social interaction seems to occur around school and community events, at the pool clubs, etc. which I would say is not unlike other areas and towns that don't have many residential streets clustered around a village core (Briarcliff, Armonk, etc.).

If you really like being closely intertwined with your neighbors I would definitely recommend Pleasantville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM

701 posts, read 3,327,092 times
Cali describes it pretty accurately. As a dog walker, I'm on a "nod and smile" basis with the fellow dog walkers in the neighborhood. Some streets are a bit more social than others, especially if there is one neighbor who takes it upon themself to host activities. There are "community activities" -- such as a recent parade for the 100 Anniversary of the fire department, an annual Halloween parade/gathering for the kids, a summer music series at the fields. So there are opportunities to come together with other people. But, people will tend to get together with people they already know at these gatherings.

Not saying this is a bad thing or good thing. Largely, it may just be because it's a rather large town by Chappaqua standards. Cali mentioned Pleasantville -- where all the kids go to the same elementary school, same middle school. Yet, Chappaqua has 3 different elementary schools and 2 middle schools. In Pleasantville, people walk to school, and you can walk downtown to the movie theater, bars, restaurants, ice cream parlor, farmer's market. So there is more opportunity for everyone to cross paths with everyone else. On the other hand, to give you an idea, my sister-in-law and her family live in Chappaqua as well as us. But they live on the far other side of town. It's over a 10 minute drive just to get to them, their kids go to a different elementary school Outside of planned get-togethers, I've only "bumped" into them around town... maybe once in the last 8 years, and that was at a supermarket outside of Chappaqua.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM

54 posts, read 227,640 times
thanks all for your responses. well, my wife is sort of this "snow white" type, where she just floats along with this very pretty face and friendly smile and very pleasant voice (classically trained vocalist, now just a hobby) and is always nice to people, so she should probably be able to make friends.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:28 PM

201 posts, read 727,772 times
Is Dobbs Ferry on anyone's short list? Just wondering what everyone thinks of it as a community and also the schools. The train can be as short at 35 minutes. DH is hoping to get a much shorter train ride. Thanks for any input.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,560 times
hi - are you still interested in purchasing a home in Croton on Hudson? Please let me know .. I live in Croton and my husband and I may be entertaining the idea of selling our home, which would be perfect for your needs -- we live in a very special area and the school district is great. I think this would be a nice fit for you. (we are thinking of retiring and moving out of NY). Let me know. many thanks. LL

Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,560 times
If you are still interested in Croton on Hudson, I might be able to assist. My husband and I live in Croton in a very desirable area and are actually thinking about moving at this time -- our home sounds like it might be a perfect fit for you .. let us know. LL

Old 11-18-2010, 01:03 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,870,958 times
Just to focus a bit on Chappaqua...

I've been reading the brokers' websites and noticed that houses closer to the town center are priced lower than houses further off.

Why is this the case in Chappaqua? Shouldn't there be a premium on convenience?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:39 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,461,398 times
People don't move to Chappaqua to be close to village there, from what I've hear, because you have less land. A plus for me but not for most. When people go to northern Westchester, they put a premium on land, not convenience.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,870,958 times
Any physical problems with Chappaqua homes closer to/within the town? Are these houses more dilapedated? Rodents? More accident-prone (ie, from motor vehicles)? Etc.

Or is it just an issue of density and space?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,461,398 times
Rodents in Chappaqua?! If you aren't counting the Clintons...no.

Downtown Chap is not like the Bronx or anything...it's basically being on less than half an acre, compared to an acre plus. You WILL not have cars crashing through your front window, and I really don't think that there is a bad part there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County