Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:40 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times

Advertisements

I have to say that in spite of the culture clash, if you ever find yourself in real trouble, pray for a local to come by.

Our latest rental is in a pastoral mountain valley that is so long, you almost need a passport to get out. Lots of locals live in this valley and know each other. Tonight I met some of them.

I was returning from an errand and had just entered the beginning of the valley road. I thought I ran over something, so I pulled over to the side of the road. I got out of the car, forgetting to put it in "Park" and the car kept going. It was a blur of confusion at first. If you can believe it, at first I tried to stop it with my hands. But then I ran along side and jumped into the rolling car and hit the brakes. I lost a shoe in the process.

Then I exited the car again and promptly locked myself out. Yes, I'll say it for you ... I was a perfect fool.

There I was, standing there alone in the dark, still far from home. I didn't have a cell phone on me, so I flagged down the first car that went by. A local stepped out and let me use his cell phone to call the roadside assistance service that comes with my car. I couldn't get through to a live person. The recording said there was a high volume of calls, blah, blah, blah. So, then I really started to panic.

The local guy starts trying to call around for anyone who could help. When I told him I lost a shoe, he told the person on the other line that we had a problem - "We've blown out a flip-flop". LOL

Next thing I know, we're joined by another man, who is his relative living across the street. And finally, we're joined by a third man who is a friend of theirs. 911 gave us the number of a locksmith, but we couldn't get an answer.

These guys kept me company, made me laugh with their humor, and told me it was going to be okay when I got agitated and that they'd figure something out. One of them rescued a giant moth that was attracted to my headlights and gently scooped it up out of harms way. Mountain people always seem to stay calm.

They kept trying to call different people who might have some equipment to help. Then one guy discovered my passenger window was down a couple of inches and called his wife to bring a lantern and coat hanger.

I finally got roadside assistance on the phone and they said it would be 45 minutes for help to arrive, and that if we got it open in the meantime, I could call back to cancel.

Another guy went up to his house and brought me a Cherry Coke.

When the hanger didn't work, the guy broke a small branch off a tree and VOILA, he got the car unlocked! It was 10:30 p.m. and it felt like a miracle.

A police officer drove by just then and laughed at the story. I told him that I had to jump into a moving car like something out of an action movie.

These guys and the wife had stayed with me on that dark road for an hour and a half, even though one of them had just worked 11 hours and was dog tired and the other had just returned from a trip. The wife comforted me by telling me her own lock-out story and told me which house was theirs.

What can I say? Tonight was about pure kindness. I'm still drinking the Cherry Coke.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 04-18-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 AM
Ody

Location: Right there, next time out, look I could be right next ;or in front of you
136 posts, read 287,391 times
I would not expect to hear any thing less

There action that you experenced in it self qualify them to be called mountain people.

Proud people , ready and willing to help and expect nothing in return, but a "thank you".

Don't forget them; they won't forget you

I was in a simular manner as you; 4yrs ago; I came back and haven"t left the mountains.

Ody

Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
This makes my heart ache for my home so bad. I didn't think living in a different area would hurt as much as it does.

I'm glad you are safe SS!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
what a story ! I am glad you're ok ! and ... did you run something (someone ) at all ?

when we came down a loooooooong and steep mountain road with our (small) trailer and definitely challenged the brakes too much (you could smell and see that ...) we stopped the car at a safe place along the road and waited for it to cool down (bloody tourists, I know).
during this time about 8-10 cars drove by and EVERY SINGLE CAR stopped and asked if we needed some as assistance ! that was overwhelming !

thanks for sharing, I really hope your week is going to improve !!

Last edited by queenofbavaria; 04-19-2011 at 06:36 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,927 times
What a great story I grew up in this area, went to school out of state, moved around a lot and decided to come back. It's stories and situations like yours that make me know why I came back

Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Thank you for posting that SS ! glad you're home safe and sound. These kind of happenings are more the rule than the exception around here; and glad of it.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I'm okay too! I can't describe what it's like to go from total despair to total euphoria! And I forgot to mention that my car was running the whole time I was locked out!

One of the guys had just returned from a bike trip. He said he blew out his tire and there was no place to buy a new one, so he bought some sealant and continued on his trip. He was trying to comfort me.

All of them kept it lighthearted even when I was stressed out when we weren't getting anywhere. They were ready to joke about the whole situation and they NEVER made me feel like a burden.

I had to laugh at the guy who had just worked 11 hours. He eventually got himself a drink and sat on the embankment with his drink and a cigarette. We had a hard time with his phone because his girlfriend put flower stickers on all the keys and we couldn't tell what we were dialing half the time. But that's funny too in retrospect.

Every time I see a Cherry Coke, I'll think of them. If I see them outside, I will stop and say "Hi" of course.

I have to say, this is one of the most idiotic things I've ever done. It's a new personal low.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 04-19-2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 AM

Also ... I hope to find my lost shoe on the road today!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:43 AM

492 posts, read 406,385 times
Default touching story

Thank you for sharing your story, Shooting Stars. My day will be better for having read it.

I am sure we have all done similar things in moments of surprise. I know I've done some pretty incomprehensible things! I'm pleased you are OK.

I so want to be in WNC!!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:44 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Default Carolina dreamin ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Thank you for sharing your story, Shooting Stars. My day will be better for having read it.

I am sure we have all done similar things in moments of surprise. I know I've done some pretty incomprehensible things! I'm pleased you are OK.

I so want to be in WNC!!

What's holding you back Xenah ? c'mon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina