Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times

Advertisements

Black Mountain
Newland
Spruce Pine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 AM

22 posts, read 61,030 times
Sylva.

It's a real town, not just a collection of snowbirds (although we have some). It's got the cute little downtown with gift/craft shops, but I'm a local and I shop there too. The college (WCU) is nearby, there's a good hospital, and the newly opened library is physically connected to the historic courthouse which offers spectacular views of downtown and surrounding mountains. In the shadow of the courthouse/library we have free outdoor concerts every Friday at Bridge Park. We have a few chain stores (Wal Mart and Lowes), but mom-and-pop stores as well. And it's not too crowded, like Asheville... Wait a minute .... shhhhh .... forget everything I just said!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
After just completing a circle tour of the area's towns scouting out a possible relocation I'd vote for:

Beech Mountain (high altitude/cooler, very friendly, close to Banner Elk, beautiful scenery)
Banner Elk (high altitude/cooler, a lot to do, friendly)
Blowing Rock (high altitude/cooler as well, a lot to do also, great downtown area)

Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 13,427 times
Franklin....lived here over 30 years (moved up from FL)
Andrews....beautiful and still open country
Robbinsville.....small, small town but pretty area
Hayesville.....close to Lake Chatuge
Murphy.....kind of rednecky but still beautiful country

Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 AM

108 posts, read 272,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi 2 Five View Post
Franklin....lived here over 30 years (moved up from FL)
Andrews....beautiful and still open country
Robbinsville.....small, small town but pretty area
Hayesville.....close to Lake Chatuge
Murphy.....kind of rednecky but still beautiful country

I LOVE lake chatuge!!

Old 10-13-2011, 03:28 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times
Haven't been to a lot of the towns in extreme western North Carolina... will have to make a visit some day.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 PM

28 posts, read 85,893 times
Saluda! Charming downtown. No walmart's, or any big box stores. Good places to eat right downtown. Historical! Saluda is the first town out of the piedmont into the mountains. Elevation 2100 (same elevation as Asheville) Use to have the railroad go through. It is home to the steepest railroad grade in the country! Trains would struggle up the blue ridge front climbing over 1000 ft up to Saluda. For amenities as in Walmarts/chains and all that is only a 15-20 minute drive into Hendersonville. Any Saludian will tell ya that they don't want chains! Its what has kept this towns charm since it was incorporated!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:58 PM

440 posts, read 1,092,072 times
Boone
Valle Crucis
Banner Elk
Sylva
Waynesville

............. can't wait to visit them all again...SOON! ~*~ Donna

Old 11-04-2011, 01:57 AM

41 posts, read 85,454 times
Arrow old people towns! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
Blowing Rock, Black Mountain, Hendersonville, Brevard
somebody tape my mouth shut!! Cant help it darlings, I'm 29 and bored in H'ville! Oh well, thats alright... no baseball games, no rock concerts (dont even say Orange Peel - thats in a-ville the town of hippies and its too crazy loud in there my ears might fall off - I want good music in a small venue that isnt a crazy mosh pit) and dont say blue note!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! ! ! ! grr. get me the heck outta here. just sayn'. I miss DC. I really really miss DC sometimes. At night. But . . . I love the open space out here in WNC. One day I will find Nirvana and have both in the same place. Til then. . .

Old 11-04-2011, 01:59 AM

41 posts, read 85,454 times
Arrow t i n y ! saluda is tiny dontblinkoryoullmissit tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by waydownsouth View Post
Saluda! Charming downtown. No walmart's, or any big box stores. Good places to eat right downtown. Historical! Saluda is the first town out of the piedmont into the mountains. Elevation 2100 (same elevation as Asheville) Use to have the railroad go through. It is home to the steepest railroad grade in the country! Trains would struggle up the blue ridge front climbing over 1000 ft up to Saluda. For amenities as in Walmarts/chains and all that is only a 15-20 minute drive into Hendersonville. Any Saludian will tell ya that they don't want chains! Its what has kept this towns charm since it was incorporated!

:dubi ous::hamd :

its a progression of emotions

but it is tiny
i think the main street has like 5 stores.
and the main street...is the only street.
is how it seems to me.
i never stop in saluda - what is there to stop and see....
coffee at the purple onion? no thanks! see ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina