Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 AM

160 posts, read 303,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
Would you please be more specific by defining what you mean by small? Someone listed Hendersonville. Isn't HVL a city?
Technically, I'm not sure if it's a city. But in relation to the rest of WNC, it might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
Technically, I'm not sure if it's a city. But in relation to the rest of WNC, it might be.
In North Carolina, all cities, towns, and villages are incorporated as municipalities. According to the North Carolina League of Municipalities, there is no legal distinction between a city, town, or village. It is a matter of preference of the local government. Their state-issued charter designates whether a municipality will be known as a city, a town or a village. Some North Carolina cities have populations as small as 1,000 residents, while some towns, such as Cary, have populations of greater than 100,000. With all of that being said, the local government of Hendersonville has officially chosen to use the term, city.

Last edited by mm34b; 09-27-2012 at 04:37 AM..

Old 09-27-2012, 05:06 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
With all of that being said, the local government of Hendersonville has officially chosen to use the term, city.
Hendersonville can call themselves a city, but most people will see it as a town. It's the largest town in WNC outside of Asheville, but most of us wouldn't see it as a city.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
It is a City, within the (Henderson) County. If you live in the County you do not pay City taxes, only County taxes. Within the City limits you get City services; and honestly, I don't see a big difference except City plows your roads in winter. But County plows your roads in winter. You get trash and recycling services in the City, nominal fee. In the County you hire a private trash collector for slightly more. Not a biggie.

Same in AVL. AVL is a City, within Buncombe County. Population has no bearing on whether it's City or Town, as mm34b says above.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I don't see a big difference except City plows your roads in winter. But County plows your roads in winter.
North Carolina counties are not responsible for the maintenance of county roads such as snow removal and salting; the North Carolina Department of Transportation performs that function.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
North Carolina counties are not responsible for the maintenance of county roads such as snow removal and salting; the North Carolina Department of Transportation performs that function.

Well, heck, I sure do stand corrected.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 PM

160 posts, read 303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Well, heck, I sure do stand corrected.
That makes two of us.

Learn something new every day.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
Florida has become very overcrowded and in light of the Orlando mass murder, it's dawned on me that I might want to retire somewhere else. I lived in Europe or a long time and dealt with snow, and I'm sure Western NC and the mountains gets its share from Nov-Feb. Visited Murphy a summer or two ago and really enjoyed the mountains and fresh air. Probably will need to stay entire summers there to see if I really can take "rural" America - but getting tired of the traffic, crime, etc as I become an oldtimer.

Thanks for the comments on this dated thread.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:20 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Florida has become very overcrowded and in light of the Orlando mass murder, it's dawned on me that I might want to retire somewhere else. I lived in Europe or a long time and dealt with snow, and I'm sure Western NC and the mountains gets its share from Nov-Feb. Visited Murphy a summer or two ago and really enjoyed the mountains and fresh air. Probably will need to stay entire summers there to see if I really can take "rural" America - but getting tired of the traffic, crime, etc as I become an oldtimer.

Thanks for the comments on this dated thread.
I'm with you BucFan. I would recommend checking out varying towns in WNC as I found Murphy kind of remote and quite frankly not all that friendly. Places like Hendersonville, Flat Rock, Brevard and Black Mountain would be nicer options for you in my opinion.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,118 times
Falling hard for Black Mountain...small town charm and proximity to Asheville are pulling us to build our retirement home here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina