Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:05 AM

41 posts, read 85,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I can only guess that the Floridians that are drawn there are just looking at the mountains and haven't looked at other places in WNC?

What about Lake Lure? I went to Chimney Rock when I was nine years old. Is Lake Lure (other than the lake) a separate town?

Our State magazine just profiled Lake Lure with some gorgeous photos of houses on the lake. They said the lake was originally conceived as a millionaires playground, but it never happened. Since there are so few lakes like Lake Lure in the area, I can't help but wonder why it hasn't been snapped up by super wealthy people.

Not as exclusive as Lake Toxaway for instance. I suppose it's sort of a good thing though.

The road to Lake Lure from A-ville, H-ville, Rt 64, 40 or 26, is long and winding (64 til you hit 9 or other highways) and on a nice sunny day its packed....really packed. But yes its beautiful thats for sure! I would be bored to death there. But that's just me. And I'm def. not a millionaire. Cheerio, mateys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 AM

41 posts, read 85,462 times
Arrow put this in my pocket for future reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yes, I have close extended family that has owned in Blowing Rock/Hounds Ears for almost 80 years, so my opinions come with knowledge. Highlands has tons of hiking, more to my elevation and skill liking as well.BR is just too flat for me, except for that one hike off the Shulls Mill, that jumps rock to rock. It's just more rugged in Highlands. Not to mention a great water ski lake is right "down the hill." And yes, the Whiteside Mountain hike is merely a 1 1/2 mile hike from my NEW door.

I'm not one to worry about money or elitist issues, but concentrate more on untainted beauty. In NC, BR and Boone has become more suburban IMHO, Highlands is still "mountain" and chases the chain garbage away.

It's all what you are looking for, and I would never disregard any area for being "rich." In fact, they might be on to something.

thanks and I agree. lets all get rich wooeee!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Lake Santeetlah: Who knows about this town? What county is it in? I think City-Data has the county wrong on this one. What made me notice it was the counties listed that people move to this town from. It made no sense. Then I thought maybe people move to Eastern North Carolina and decide they want a cooler climate. I just thought the information on this town was really strange.

http://townoflakesanteetlah.org/index.htm--I (broken link) found the answer. The county is Graham and not Cumberland as City-Data profile lists.

//www.city-data.com/city/Lake-S...-Carolina.html--This page needs to be looked at and edited just a little.

This was the town I found before and it is so interesting, I am planning to try and find it some day when I am just traveling around. I just tried to click into the information I just listed and it no longer exists. Just do a web search and you may find what I did.

Now I am going to go look up Graham County. I found the town name this time from the earthquake map. They had a small 1.5 earthquake in Tennessee not far from here.

Last edited by NCN; 03-19-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
NCN

you are right. It looks like a cut and paste error where cumberland county info was put into what should have been graham county

pretty country but way back there. my grandfather was born there

Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Lake Santeelah is a little resort area on that lake. I think they've incorporated recently. It's not a town in the usual sense. For that you go to Robbinsville.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 PM

10,077 posts, read 7,757,140 times
Montreat
Saluda
Brevard

Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 PM

99 posts, read 124,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSkiGull View Post
somebody tape my mouth shut!! Cant help it darlings, I'm 29 and bored in H'ville! Oh well, thats alright... no baseball games, no rock concerts (dont even say Orange Peel - thats in a-ville the town of hippies and its too crazy loud in there my ears might fall off - I want good music in a small venue that isnt a crazy mosh pit) and dont say blue note!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! ! ! ! grr. get me the heck outta here. just sayn'. I miss DC. I really really miss DC sometimes. At night. But . . . I love the open space out here in WNC. One day I will find Nirvana and have both in the same place. Til then. . .
Sounds like u need to get to Colorado

Old 09-23-2012, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,243 times
Andrews is the Best!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:14 PM

80 posts, read 55,829 times
Default Favorite WNC Towns

Boone-There's a certain wildness in the mountains up there that I don't detect here in Asheville. I like to see a show at Boone Saloon once in awhile.

Brevard-After a day of hiking to nearby waterfalls, it's nice to drive into downtown Brevard for a meal. There is a great bike path as well, through the woods and into town.

Waynesville-Get yourself to Frogs Leap Public House, THE BEST food in Western North Carolina in a very comfortable, rustic atmosphere. Have a sip of wine at the nearby Classic Wineseller afterward.

Hot Springs-Soak in the hot tubs fed by mineral spring water after a Max Patch hike.

Black Mountain-Very benign feel. Try the coffee and cozy atmosphere at Dripolator.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:03 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
Just moved to Florida for school and am missing the mountains...

What are your favorite small mountain towns in NC?

Would you please be more specific by defining what you mean by small? Someone listed Hendersonville. Isn't HVL a city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina