Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 02:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiesam View Post
Falling hard for Black Mountain...small town charm and proximity to Asheville are pulling us to build our retirement home here.
It's a great area in general....I fell hard for Brevard! : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 03:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm with you BucFan. I would recommend checking out varying towns in WNC as I found Murphy kind of remote and quite frankly not all that friendly. Places like Hendersonville, Flat Rock, Brevard and Black Mountain would be nicer options for you in my opinion.
I wonder if the trend will continue that retirees will search for other places than Florida as it becomes most densely populated (3rd most populated). I enjoy doing a lot of things like going to the symphony, Broadway tour plays, Major League sports, rock concerts here in Tampa, but I think as I get older I won't need those things anymore and will transition to being a homebody where all I want is seclusion that a mountain home (chalet) might offer.

Concern would be access to health care (I'm very healthy but who knows how that'll be in 10-20 yrs).

I have a travel trailer and look to be spending some Summer months in WNC visiting various towns. Will visit those that you mention.

Thanks.

Last edited by BucFan; 06-23-2016 at 04:23 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 07:06 PM

339 posts, read 319,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I wonder if the trend will continue that retirees will search for other places than Florida as it becomes most densely populated (3rd most populated). I enjoy doing a lot of things like going to the symphony, Broadway tour plays, Major League sports, rock concerts here in Tampa, but I think as I get older I won't need those things anymore and will transition to being a homebody where all I want is seclusion that a mountain home (chalet) might offer.

Concern would be access to health care (I'm very healthy but who knows how that'll be in 10-20 yrs).

I have a travel trailer and look to be spending some Summer months in WNC visiting various towns. Will visit those that you mention.

Thanks.

yeah, as we age we all need to consider reasonable ( time wise ) access to good health care and in just plain emergencies even if not older !
Another thing to consider ...per aging...are the stairs you would have to climb per that lovely chalet in the photo there.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:09 PM

absolutely about the stairs and health care.....probably a pipe dream.....I'm set up very well here in FL but there's a internal drive to get to the mountains - maybe need to just take yearly trips up there during summer months and use the Rv.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Given your mentions about health care accessibility and one level living you might give Hendersonville a good hard look. It has a pretty decent hospital in-town and a good number of single level homes/condos from the research I've done along with a vibrant downtown and fairly level geography.

About Us - Pardee Hospital
Welcome to Downtown Hendersonville, NC

Old 06-24-2016, 03:56 AM

thanks Kyle - enjoyed the flyover of Hendersonville.....btw, Western NC is getting hit by severe weather today....hopefully no damage. I know Murphy got hit by tornado(s) a few years back......

Old 06-24-2016, 05:47 AM

Looks like finding a smaller town within about 40 miles of Asheville would provide the small town quietness appeal while within a short commute to Asheville for major health care, shopping, airport if you need that......there appears to be several towns in the 40 mile radius to satisfy that.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
thanks Kyle - enjoyed the flyover of Hendersonville.....btw, Western NC is getting hit by severe weather today....hopefully no damage. I know Murphy got hit by tornado(s) a few years back......

We are ? bright and sunny in Hendersonville so far today. We are currently in a drought, however.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:08 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
Quote:
.....btw, Western NC is getting hit by severe weather today....hopefully no damage.......
In the High Country (Boone/Banner Elk/Blowing Rock), we're forecast for high of 74 and 40% chance of rain. As I look out my window, it's sunny & breezy. I think you are confusing WNC with western Virginia and West Virginia. Speaking of which, our hearts go out to those devastated by yesterday's floods.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:19 AM

Morning national news showed it headed WNC way....anyway, rain sounds good for you now.

I can imagine that WNC has potential for forest fires for drought extremes as well as flooding for heavy, prolonged rains as well.....

Really important not to buy homes near creeks, rivers in those cases.....like here in Florida want to stay out of flood zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina