Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:07 PM

39 posts, read 70,589 times

Advertisements

I would really appreciate some general impressions and insights about the Homestead at Mills River subdivision. It would also be great to know how close amenities are like grocery store, restaurants, and shopping. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Default Mills River

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_julz View Post
I would really appreciate some general impressions and insights about the Homestead at Mills River subdivision. It would also be great to know how close amenities are like grocery store, restaurants, and shopping. Thanks!

Welcome to Homestead at Mills River

Very nice amenities within a 5 mile drive. Not sure if that development is still under construction at this time or not; haven't heard too much about it lately, they sort of stopped building in there when the market took a nose dive in 2009.

I believe they are only selling lots in there currently. Mills River is a lovely area for the most part. Some of it is in the flood zone also, so be aware of that, it is pretty much in a valley.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Thanks QuliterChick. I've been there once and thought it was very pretty, but it just seemed farther out than 5 miles from amenities. Good to know I was wrong. I'll have to check into the flood zone issue, I was not aware of that.

In your opinion, do you think a community like the Homestead has a good chance of re-bounding? With so many of these start-up subdivisions going down the drain it is hard to get a feel when not living in the area.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks QuliterChick. I've been there once and thought it was very pretty, but it just seemed farther out than 5 miles from amenities. Good to know I was wrong. I'll have to check into the flood zone issue, I was not aware of that.

In your opinion, do you think a community like the Homestead has a good chance of re-bounding? With so many of these start-up subdivisions going down the drain it is hard to get a feel when not living in the area.

There are several shopping areas on Rt. 280 to the west; and all along business Rt. 25. As for "rebounding" I would have to say no, not at this time. Not a market currently for new subdivisions. There is a good amount of excellent inventory in the area at reasonable prices, and in particular some lovely homes in Mills River in various price ranges. You do not need to be in a gated community here. As a matter of fact, the word "gated" is almost a misnomer here. If one fears for safety or doesn't want people driving through the neighborhood, you would need to be in a gated and 24 hr. guarded development of which there are very few. We are not seeing much new construction; possibly if people had actually purchased lots in gated communities that did not go 'belly up' or are in financial difficulty, so to speak, and if they had a deadline date for completion. At least in Henderson County. Do a search on www.Realtor.com for properties in Mills River and Henderson County. Also look at a very nice development there: High Vista and High Vista Country Club. (which also has its own website). That is where I'd be if I needed to be near Rt. 191 with quick airport access and easy access to Asheville, yet avoid Asheville expenses.

I am not saying that the Homestead development is in a flood zone. There are many areas of Mills River which are in flood zones. You can look up flood zones for any location at www.fema.gov and a Google search will also give you flood maps for specific areas.

Best wishes on your search.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:08 PM

Actually, we don't care if the community is gated or not. We just saw some nice plots with great views in the Homestead. We are looking for land which I forgot to mention initially.

I'll check out High Vista, looks nice. By chance do you know if they get noise from the airport or are in the flight path?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Actually, we don't care if the community is gated or not. We just saw some nice plots with great views in the Homestead. We are looking for land which I forgot to mention initially.

I'll check out High Vista, looks nice. By chance do you know if they get noise from the airport or are in the flight path?

As I understand it, there are Realtors in the area who have lots for sale in the Homestead at Mills River, you will get more up to date info from them. As for airport noise and flight path information, I don't have that information. To be more specific, I'd suggest you call someone at the County offices in Hendersonville. There is a section of High Vista whch is also in Buncombe County. Here is a link to Henderson County govt. www.hendersoncountync.org

Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,845 times
Default Hidden Gem: Homestead at Mills River

To me, Homestead at Mills River is a hidden gem. The development was hit by the economy crash, however the infrastructure is present- class A roads, underground utilities including natural gas. Having lived in Brevard, Asheville and Mills River, to me this development offers privacy, nature, incredible views, close to Brevard, Asheville, and Mills River, and is undiscovered due to the lack of advertising. There is now a new beautiful Ingles grocery just 3 miles away on Hwy #280. There is no airport noise, it is not in the flight path at all. I was impressed by the natural beauty of this development. Also the land owners have access to a recreational area 1.5 miles away off on S Mills River Rd for fly fishing, camping and use of a beautiful lodge with indoor and outdoor fireplaces and a full kitchen. Great for family get-togethers. Check out this link for one of the completed homes for sale in the development: [url]http://www.homesteadinmillsriver.com[/url]

Old 01-25-2014, 02:30 AM

Shiningrock, I really appreciate your reply. I agree, when my husband and I went through the Homestead we were impressed with the beauty as well. Good to know the new Ingles is in, a real plus for sure. Sounds like this community is a hidden gem and worth revisiting. Thanks again!

Old 01-25-2014, 05:41 AM

318 posts, read 629,044 times
Quote:
That depends on your definition of 'amenities,' 'shopping' and 'close.' Brevard and Hendersonville, two fairly small cities, are 9 and 10 miles away. Asheville, only city of any size, is 19 miles away, with the south part of town 8 miles away, according to the development's own promotional material. The only large shopping mall is on the other side of Asheville, a good bit farther. The best restaurants are in those cities' downtowns. Depending on what you are shopping for, it's limited in Brevard and Hendersonville.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 AM

I'm glad that the Ingles is now close, that's a plus for me anyway. But I hear you on the best restaurants being in the larger towns. Since this will be our retirement home we'll have to really be honest with ourselves on how far we're willing to drive to access the places we will most likely frequent. In a perfect world (or as my husband would say, "in Julia's world") we would have an acre of land with a great long range view and be within walking distance to downtown Asheville :-)
Love the area, have been many times, just need to find the "right" place. And I know, that is different for everyone.
Thanks for your input NCDavid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina