Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:04 PM

902 posts, read 813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Of course all lives matter. But saying that in response to "Black Lives Matter" is an attempt to erase the actual crisis. Police aren't killing all people at a rate 2 and half times their percentage of the population, they're only killing African-Americans at that rate. Its racist because it minimizes and ignores the actual crisis involving African-Americans. When people say “Black Lives Matter,” they are acknowledging an important context that involves several centuries of slavery, civil rights, mass incarceration and brutality. It’s specifically highlighting the value of black lives because, historically, this country has often ignored that value.

Context matters, and "All Lives Matter" ignores the context, and ignores the problem. Its like running through a cancer fund raiser yelling "All Diseases Matter". If your house was on fire and the fire department came and started spraying water on your neighbors house because "all houses matter" I think you'd be a tad upset.
Saying that All Lives Matter and intertwining the “racist” twist to it is a bit racist in itself.

Could it be that ALM to some is as important as BLM to others, and that ALM (in this case) is simply the viewpoint that we should respect ALL LIVES regardless of color, but in this situation a black mans life that was unfortunately lost?

I don’t think anyone is erasing anything by saying ALM, and to call those who do racist shows what people sometimes refer to as “black privilege”, or “If it ain’t how WE SEE IT, its automatically racist”, which again is a racist viewpoint.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 06-06-2020 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 07:16 PM

628 posts, read 402,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Saying that All Lives Matter and intertwining the “racist” twist to it is a bit racist in itself. Could it be that ALM to some is as important as BLM to others, and that ALM is simply the viewpoint that we should respect ALL LIVES regardless of color, but in this situation a black life that was lost?
No. Saying ALM ignores the well documented problem of actual racism in this country. Its not about "this situation". Its about the systemic racism that permeates our society, and more importantly, its about the need to address and eliminate it. Saying ALM absolutely ignores, minimizes and dismisses that reality, and is therefore inherently racist.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:22 PM

52 posts, read 29,890 times
Quote:
Of course all lives matter. But saying that in response to "Black Lives Matter" is an attempt to erase the actual crisis. Police aren't killing all people at a rate 2 and half times their percentage of the population, they're only killing African-Americans at that rate. Its racist because it minimizes and ignores the actual crisis involving African-Americans. When people say “Black Lives Matter,” they are acknowledging an important context that involves several centuries of slavery, civil rights, mass incarceration and brutality. It’s specifically highlighting the value of black lives because, historically, this country has often ignored that value.

Context matters, and "All Lives Matter" ignores the context, and ignores the problem. Its like running through a cancer fund raiser yelling "All Diseases Matter". If your house was on fire and the fire department came and started spraying water on your neighbors house because "all houses matter" I think you'd be a tad upset.
Fair enough. I think however describing the use of ALM in a retort to BLM as racist is a stretch. Now if you said to me BLM and I said in reply no they don't, then that would in my opinion be racist. Saying ALM in response to someone saying BLM may result in someone taking offense only because of their perception that their belief statement has been demeaned by the slight. And their only response at that point would be to point a finger and yell "Racist!".

Old 06-06-2020, 07:22 PM

6,175 posts, read 4,653,246 times
Hopefully this thread can get back on track to Ashe County, North Carolina. In light of that, here is an article that covers this in more detail. Apparently 300 people gathered for the march.

https://www.ashepostandtimes.com/pro...89f600ddb.html

Some of the comments in the article from locals were interesting (although I can't say this would represent everyone in that county).

David Miller of Ashe County agreed that protestors had a right to assemble, but said, “We don’t need it here. We don’t have racism here.“

Ashe County resident Shirley Dowell said, “There is no reason for it here, we don’t need it in this county.”

That's a little naive to think there's no racism in Ashe County because there's racism in the most progressive, crunchy, self actualizing places on Earth, including 100 out of 100 North Carolina counties.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
No. Saying ALM ignores the well documented problem of actual racism in this country. Its not about "this situation". Its about the systemic racism that permeates our society, and more importantly, its about the need to address and eliminate it. Saying ALM absolutely ignores, minimizes and dismisses that reality, and is therefore inherently racist.
Nope, it simply says people genuinely care about their fellow human beings, people of color included. Having a group of concerned citizens all supporting BLM, ALM or whatever marginalizes no-one, erases nothing and simply brings caring people together in difficult times.

If you think that BLM is all that’s out there trying to erase systemic racism, and call out those who support those organizations “racist”, you’re a bit of a racist yourself and part of the problem IMO.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBlackQue1988 View Post
Fair enough. I think however describing the use of ALM in a retort to BLM as racist is a stretch.
I'm sure you do. Searching deep within one's self and admitting that one harbors racist notions is a very difficult thing to do. Its much easier to make a facile retort like "All Lives Matter" instead.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Nope, it simply says people genuinely care about their fellow human beings, people of color included.
If someone genuinely cared about heir fellow people of color, they'd recognize that there is a real problem in this country in regard to our treatment of them, and would have a desire to be part of the solution.

Quote:
If you think that BLM is all that’s out there trying to erase systemic racism, and call out those who support those organizations “racist”, you’re a bit of a racist yourself and part of the problem IMO.
Nice strawman you built there Vince.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:40 PM

52 posts, read 29,890 times
Quote:
I'm sure you do. Searching deep within one's self and admitting that one harbors racist notions is a very difficult thing to do. Its much easier to make a facile retort like "All Lives Matter" instead.
It's sometimes difficult for people such as yourself to hold their own in a debate so they resort to condescending comments that do nothing toward validating their viewpoints. Instead, they just throw in the towel and give up.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
If someone genuinely cared about heir fellow people of color, they'd recognize that there is a real problem in this country in regard to our treatment of them, and would have a desire to be part of the solution.
Seeing past the ignorance of ones thoughts and internal desire to label everyone who doesn’t align with what you believe as a racist is tough.

Fact is there’s lots of people out there outside of BLM that care about change, and stand side by side with their fellow human beings and support the rights of people of color.

I hope you find the one sentence solution here on the forum that your looking for. I for one take more pride in treating everyone around me as though they matter, everyday ... and waste less energy here debating topics that you think you’re already an expert on ... which you’re not.

Hope you change the world, starting here on CDF. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBlackQue1988 View Post
It's sometimes difficult for people such as yourself to hold their own in a debate so they resort to condescending comments that do nothing toward validating their viewpoints. Instead, they just throw in the towel and give up.
Nothing condescending about my comments, nor was I having trouble holding my own. In fact, you yourself said "fair enough" in regard to my comments. You actually made condescending comments in your post to me, which I ignored and replied with a well reasoned, logical response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina