Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:52 PM

52 posts, read 29,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Seeing past the ignorance of ones thoughts and internal desire to label everyone who doesn’t align with what you believe as a racist is tough.

Fact is there’s lots of people out there outside of BLM that care about change, and stand side by side with their fellow human beings and support the rights of people of color.

I hope you find the one sentence solution here on the forum that your looking for. I for one take more pride in treating everyone around me as though they matter, everyday ... and waste less energy here debating topics that you think you’re already an expert on ... which you’re not.

Hope you change the world, starting here on CDF. Good luck!

My thoughts exactly!

Best of luck to you brother on your search. I will see you hopefully on the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 07:59 PM

628 posts, read 402,735 times
Quote:
Seeing past the ignorance of ones thoughts and internal desire to label everyone who doesn’t align with what you believe as a racist is tough.
Thats not even remotely what I'm doing though.

Quote:
Fact is there’s lots of people out there outside of BLM that care about change, and stand side by side with their fellow human beings and support the rights of people of color.
I never said there wasn't.

Quote:
I hope you find the one sentence solution here on the forum that your looking for. I for one take more pride in treating everyone around me as though they matter, everyday ... and waste less energy here debating topics that you think you’re already an expert on ... which you’re not.
I'm not looking for a "one sentence solution". I don't even know what that means or what you're talking about. But thanks for the insult. Talk about condescending, LOL.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:20 AM

5,478 posts, read 6,123,273 times
a bit of a thin skin SB....... we are, after all, on a discussion forum, lighten up.

We are here to learn from everyone and share ideas, not perceived insults.

BLM, ALM, all the same to most people. The more inclusive one can be the better we all are.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
BLM, ALM, all the same to most people. The more inclusive one can be the better we all are.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. IMO, most people who retort "ALM" to the mention of BLM are knowingly and purposefully attempting to minimize the context of, and the message behind, BLM.

I also don't know why you're directing your "thin skin" message at me and not the other posters attacking me for being condescending, having no valid argument, constructing strawman arguments just so they can knock them down and claim victory, etc. Thats more than a bit rich, no?

Old 06-07-2020, 02:09 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,358,759 times
Ah stede....I'm sorry. Plenty here are better than that.

I stand in solidarity with BLM. I call for more police training than a hair stylist is required to get. I demand they take racial educational training (to learn why things like why ALM is a tone-deaf comment). I call for more pay for cops to attract more candidates so we can weed out the ill-equipped and keep the good ones more than a few years. And I call for the 1% to be taxed higher to pay for it.

I'm like most Americans: I stand in solidarity with the protesters (see last link). I'm sick to death of riots....but I'm sick to death of death too.

https://twitter.com/munchiesmak/stat...atter-means%2F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn17_mpgfp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29qACe0mEA

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/lif...-matter-means/

Behind a paywall....but here's a snippet. (Don't like the NYT....google it...there's plenty out there)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/u...ts-racism.html

"Why Most Americans Support the Protests

Never before in the history of modern polling has the country expressed such widespread agreement on racism’s pervasiveness in policing, and in society at large...."

"...In a Monmouth University poll released this week, 76 percent of Americans — including 71 percent of white people — called racism and discrimination “a big problem” in the United States. That’s a 26-percentage-point spike since 2015. In the poll, 57 percent of Americans said demonstrators’ anger was fully justified, and another 21 percent called it somewhat justified...." (To be clear: that's 68% of Americans who support the protesters)

"...In the Monmouth poll, and in another released this week by CBS News, exactly 57 percent of Americans said police officers were generally more likely to treat black people unfairly than to mistreat white people. In both surveys, about half of white people said so. This was a drastic change, particularly for white Americans, who have not historically said they believed that black people continued to face pervasive discrimination.
There’s definitely been a seismic shift in the country,..."
'Bout damn time.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:30 PM

5,478 posts, read 6,123,273 times
It occurs to me that we are all pointing in the same direction and letting acronyms get in the way.

Do we all want people to be judged and treated by the same standards and held accountable to same?

I would hope the answer is a resounding Yes!

Old 06-07-2020, 05:31 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,358,759 times
Won't get it or can't get it.

Either way, doesn't matter....result is the same.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:12 PM

52 posts, read 29,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
It occurs to me that we are all pointing in the same direction and letting acronyms get in the way.

Do we all want people to be judged and treated by the same standards and held accountable to same?

I make a motion we drop all acronyms!

But seriously, all lives matter when it comes to God/Higher Power and we should all strive to ensure every person has their rights afforded to them. Take it further and just go out and be a little friendly to strangers especially those whose lives have been affected by this tragedy. Let them know you're with them and not against them. A smile is all it takes.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag;58321749Do we all want people to be judged and treated by the same standards and held accountable to same?

Do we want? Yes, of course. Do we actually? No. Thats the issue.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBlackQue1988 View Post
But seriously, all lives matter when it comes to God/Higher Power and we should all strive to ensure every person has their rights afforded to them. Take it further and just go out and be a little friendly to strangers especially those whose lives have been affected by this tragedy. Let them know you're with them and not against them. A smile is all it takes.
LOL, what about those who have been murdered by police offices? Is being a little friendly to them going to solve the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina