Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 04:42 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,518,338 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow there is supposed to be a BLM gathering here... seems interesting choice given only 0.66% of population here is black/African American. Now Boone i would expect it but why quiet little West Jefferson? Has anyone seen BLM protest abortion clinics..after all since Roe vs Wade 1973 almost a third of 60+ million babies exterminated have been African American. I think its time for say Red lives matter considering how terribly the native people have and are treated and in 2020 they still are on the res... unlike African Americans who are among the highest paid entertainers, athletes and who have many in Congress/Senate. All American lives matter.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 05:29 PM

628 posts, read 400,269 times
Thanks for providing a crystal clear, undeniable example of the insidious and systemic racism that plagues this country today, and perfectly illustrates the need for the protest in Ashe County (and elsewhere). Well done!

Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 06-05-2020 at 06:11 PM..

Old 06-05-2020, 06:10 PM

5,461 posts, read 6,064,220 times
As long as the BLM gathering is peaceful and orderly I would expect they are most welcome.
Respect is both given and earned, MLK, Ghandi, Dick Gregory, Cesar Chavez, etc, proved that very axiom time and time again.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:18 PM

52 posts, read 29,627 times
I don't see anything wrong with the original post and didn't take it as racist. Seems like nowadays anyone can label anything racist and if you disagree, well you're a racist. I also support peaceful protests of BLM; when protestors become rioters, then they are no longer protesters but criminals.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:40 PM

902 posts, read 809,483 times
Best way to “protest” is to do it everyday by treating those around you as though they matter, no matter what skin color they are. These protest gatherings are temporary, but your everyday actions towards others are lifelong and make the true impact in this world.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:42 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,536,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Best way to “protest” is to do it everyday by treating those around you as though they matter, no matter what skin color they are. These protest gatherings are temporary, but your everyday actions towards others are lifelong and make the true impact in this world.
Amen

Old 06-06-2020, 08:01 AM

6,126 posts, read 4,614,901 times
What's different about the protests going on right now is that they are even happening in places like Ashe County and other rural, Republican strongholds.

Previously, this type of demonstration was common in (yawn) places like Durham, Charlotte, Greensboro, Chapel Hill, maybe Boone, etc., but very rare in places like Ashe County and similar rural, conservative areas across the state. This has changed very noticeably. And overwhelmingly, the ones in the smaller, rural towns have been peaceful. It's the larger cities (relatively speaking by NC standards) primarily that have had the unwelcome looting, etc.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBlackQue1988 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the original post and didn't take it as racist. Seems like nowadays anyone can label anything racist and if you disagree, well you're a racist. I also support peaceful protests of BLM; when protestors become rioters, then they are no longer protesters but criminals.
Sorry, but the "all lives matter" retort is inherently racist.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:34 PM

52 posts, read 29,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Sorry, but the "all lives matter" retort is inherently racist.
I disagree. So if I say that all lives matter, that every single person on this earth created by God (ignore if you're an atheist, agnostic or non-religious), then I am racist? I am racist for believing that every life in this world matters including the unborn (ignore if you're pro-choice) no matter a person's color, sex or individual preference? Please do explain to me why I am a racist for wanting to proclaim a love for all of my fellow brothers and sisters.

Last edited by JayBlackQue1988; 06-06-2020 at 06:46 PM..

Old 06-06-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBlackQue1988 View Post
I disagree. So if I say that all lives matter, that every single person on this earth created by God (ignore if you're an atheist, agnostic or non-religious), then I am racist? I am racist for believing that every life in this world matters including the unborn (ignore if you're pro-choice) no matter color, sex or individual preference? Please do explain to me why I am a racist for wanting to proclaim a love for all of my fellow brothers and sisters?
Of course all lives matter. But saying that in response to "Black Lives Matter" is an attempt to erase the actual crisis. Police aren't killing all people at a rate 2 and half times their percentage of the population, they're only killing African-Americans at that rate. Its racist because it minimizes and ignores the actual crisis involving African-Americans. When people say “Black Lives Matter,” they are acknowledging an important context that involves several centuries of slavery, civil rights, mass incarceration and brutality. It’s specifically highlighting the value of black lives because, historically, this country has often ignored that value.

Context matters, and "All Lives Matter" ignores the context, and ignores the problem. Its like running through a cancer fund raiser yelling "All Diseases Matter". If your house was on fire and the fire department came and started spraying water on your neighbors house because "all houses matter" I think you'd be a tad upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina