Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 05:43 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Not sure about Transylvania county, but in Henderson county, all residential property was reassessed last year to reflect current market value
Yes, as I said, thats the theory, but in practice there is not really a correlation between tax and appraised value (or purchase price).

Quote:
Even with the reduction in millage rate, many property owners saw an increase in their property taxes.
Ok, but that doesn't have anything to do with a theoretical correlation between tax value and appraised value (or purchase price).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 10:58 PM

276 posts, read 145,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carachel2 View Post
I literally kept telling my husband "I'm not paying $600,000 to live IN $hithole or NEXT to a $hithole."
BOTH of those scenarios described almost all of our house hunting. If the house wasn't a wreck, the house or trailer right next to it was a total wreck.

At the end of the day we realized we don't need to be right up IN Asheville. Close proximity to the hiking is great. But we want to love the home we are in and the neighborhood we are in.

It was a long journey and I had to accept some things about myself that I just didn't know.
Honestly I see a lot of homes like you described---in Connestee Falls. But you will be the age of everyone's grandchildren and it'll feel weird.

Best of luck.
Coming from south FL that's one thing I did find odd about WNC. You could have a million dollar home next to a dilapidated trailer with a collection of old toilets in the front yard. Now that may be a thing more out in the more rural areas where there are less restrictions, maybe closer to the bigger cities it's less of a thing, not sure as we never looked near the big cities.

However after spending more time here I've gotten use to it and I don't even notice it anymore. It's actually rather nice compared to our part of FL where most communities are in an HOA and you start getting letters in the mail if you don't bring in your trash bin quickly enough. I have found that around here a dilapidated trailer does not necessarily mean it's a bad area. You can find them almost everywhere, even in very nice areas (or at least nice to me). I also read or was told that some of those buildings are used as hunting shacks... not sure if there is any truth to that or not.

For me the solution is a bigger lot. If I can't see the toilet collection is it really even there?

Old 07-29-2023, 12:53 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Coming from south FL that's one thing I did find odd about WNC. You could have a million dollar home next to a dilapidated trailer with a collection of old toilets in the front yard. Now that may be a thing more out in the more rural areas where there are less restrictions, maybe closer to the bigger cities it's less of a thing, not sure as we never looked near the big cities.

However after spending more time here I've gotten use to it and I don't even notice it anymore. It's actually rather nice compared to our part of FL where most communities are in an HOA and you start getting letters in the mail if you don't bring in your trash bin quickly enough. I have found that around here a dilapidated trailer does not necessarily mean it's a bad area. You can find them almost everywhere, even in very nice areas (or at least nice to me). I also read or was told that some of those buildings are used as hunting shacks... not sure if there is any truth to that or not.

For me the solution is a bigger lot. If I can't see the toilet collection is it really even there?
I guess it all depends on where you’re looking. In our neck of the woods, on the south and southwest sides of Hendersonville, I’m hard pressed to think of one trailer. This is completely different from the FL Panhandle where trailer parks are the norm.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:23 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carachel2 View Post
Connestee Falls can be lovely----and the people who live there genuinely seem happy. There is a sense of community and lots for people to do.

With that said, you will lose all phone reception near the entrance gate which seems fine in the lovely summer but do you want that in winter or in the rain or in the dark?
Brevard is really struggling with healthcare after their main hospital was bought out by HCA.
Primary care MDs there are wonderful---but quite a few have retired.
Any specialty care will be at least an hour away.
You will be 20 minutes outside of Brevard.
That house needs a TON of work and people in the area consistently say they struggle with finding skilled contractors to finish jobs. If you're going to move there you want move in water.
When we looked at buying a home in Brevard, a physician who lives in Hendersonville told us they had decided against buying in Brevard because the hospital and medical care in general was not on par with Hendersonville's.

Old 07-29-2023, 07:14 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
When we looked at buying a home in Brevard, a physician who lives in Hendersonville told us they had decided against buying in Brevard because the hospital and medical care in general was not on par with Hendersonville's.
This is likely true since Hendersonville is a good bit larger than Brevard. Ironically, I have to go to Brevard for my general practitioner since many of the doctors in Hendersonville were/are no longer accepting new patients. With that said, I have been very disappointed with UNC-Pardee, both the hospital and their affiliated physicians. Within the past year, I’ve had to either go myself or have taken people to Mission in Asheville. IMO, it is several notches better than UNC-Pardee. At least, this has been our experience. Also, I recently went to a Mission-affiliated specialty doctor since I was not happy with my UNC-Pardee doctor. I could not believe the difference. For example, the office staff and physician were friendly, the office was modern and updated, the physician took his time to listen and explain things, etc..

Old 07-29-2023, 08:59 AM

276 posts, read 145,784 times
Quote:
I guess it all depends on where you’re looking. In our neck of the woods, on the south and southwest sides of Hendersonville, I’m hard pressed to think of one trailer. This is completely different from the FL Panhandle where trailer parks are the norm.
We are in the Lenoir, Morganton, Hickory area, however I see the same thing going up to Boone or Asheville mainly in the more rural areas. I'm not talking mobile homes, there's a ton of those and many are really nice. I've actually been fooled by mobile home pics before thinking they were sticks and bricks homes. I'm talking the ones that are totally falling apart.

In FL you are right we have trailer parks, but you typically don't find a trailer park next to million dollar homes and you definitely don't find individual trailers in areas where you have regular homes. I'm guessing it has to do with zoning laws or something. Anyways I don't mind it and would take it over city living any day.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:00 PM

61 posts, read 37,756 times
I'll be interested to find out the selling price of this one after it closes: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M62572-41536

What's that area like? (Haywood Knolls neighborhood)

Old 07-31-2023, 05:15 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryophyta View Post
I'll be interested to find out the selling price of this one after it closes: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M62572-41536

What's that area like? (Haywood Knolls neighborhood)
Looks like it sold for $460,000. Over asking. What I am seeing in WNC right now is "throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" pricing. Weirdly enough, there are people out there that are willing to overpay by a lot. I just saw one that dropped the price by $99K, from $799,000 to $700,000. It's a 1400 square foot house built in 1983. Granted, it's on 11 1/2 acres, but the pricing is ridiculous. No garage and minimal mountain views.

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Elk-Park/3...home/116374653

Last edited by goldenlove; 07-31-2023 at 05:56 PM..

Old 08-01-2023, 11:15 AM

On the market over 3 months, is it way overpriced?
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M67007-46359

Old 08-01-2023, 11:47 AM

A couple in Black Mountain I'll be interested to find out selling prices:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Black-Moun...home/111182962
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina