Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 PM

76 posts, read 327,312 times

Advertisements

I'm not using anything to back this up. Just having fun messing with the community. Thought my tone was obvious. If only we had voice posts, it would have been clear.

Mostly my method is gut instinct. And a lot of reading. Hows that for sound principals. I read in the WSJ that most investment advisers do not do what they preach. Also I feel that most people are saying that all the indicators are still difficult to read so I just don't trust anything right now. Are we at the bottom? who knows. I wouldn't take anyones recommendation right now. So I do feel that the best strategy for this market is to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,933,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaz View Post
Mostly my method is gut instinct.
Oh, ok -- well why didn't you say that in the first place.

Sorry Cramer, put away our charts and your graphs and your 15 years of experience in the market, because your analysis doesn't cut it -- this anonymous poster on the WNC chat boards's "gut instinct" says wait til 2013.

(I'm just messing with you of course)

Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Someone only has one oar in the water
Hey Asheville Native -- have you had a chance to come up anything more substantial than "the Asheville market is toast" yet, or are you resigning to let the big kids take it from here?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:42 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,617,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Hey Asheville Native -- have you had a chance to come up anything more substantial than "the Asheville market is toast" yet, or are you resigning to let the big kids take it from here?
Naw, just watching, about like watching a couple of first graders arguing about "my daddy can whoop your daddy".

It is ALL OPINIONS, and now matter how much smoke you try and blow smoke up someone's butt, it is still just opinion, just like the two first graders arguing i.e. a childish argument.

Oh, and based on your comment in red, did your "expert" name Asheville specifically, discounting the rest of the country, or was he talking about the country as a whole? How long before the housing crash did your expert predict the crash?

And I think it is very nearsighted to assume that Asheville is going to follow any time line that some "expert" (whether he is or not) "predicts" for the whole country, it hasn't yet.

Sadly I fear the wheels are just beginning to come off of the countries economy, and buying a McMansion is going to slip even further down the list of priorities people will have. We're still in the good times on this train wreck.

My work here is done

Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
We're still in the good times on this train wreck.
So you keep saying, without anything to substantiate your opinion. And so all unsubstantiated opinions are equal -- that is, they are equally useless in having any kind of adult conversation.

Come on Asheville Native -- say something positive . . . we know you can do it!!! Life's not that gloomy, man.

What do you say you and I meet down at Pritchard Park this weekend and join in the drum circle? We'll burn one down, bang on the drums, and forget all about this little tizzy. It'll do you good. Whaddya say?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,617,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post

Come on Asheville Native -- say something positive . . . we know you can do it!!! Life's not that gloomy, man.

Rainbows and unicorn farts will save us, but saying feel good things when they are a fantasy leaves you only vulnerable for some really hard times when the wheels really start coming off. Fairy tales are for children's bedtime.

Child physiologists recommend that parents shield their children from the harsh reality of what we as a country are facing, and remain positive for their sake, is that how you want to be treated?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Rainbows and unicorn farts will save us, but saying feel good things when they are a fantasy leaves you only vulnerable for some really hard times when the wheels really start coming off. Fairy tales are for children's bedtime.

Child physiologists recommend that parents shield their children from the harsh reality of what we as a country are facing, and remain positive for their sake, is that how you want to be treated?
The problem with your position is that your so-called "harsh reality" isn't supported by the facts. You're only looking at the negatives, and in doing so, you're not able to see the larger picture.

I've stated the objectively verifiable facts:

-- Asheville's market is the worst in NC
-- The US is undergoing a nasty housing correction
-- etc. etc. etc.

I've even acknowledged that things are probably looking worse in 2009 than 2008.

But all of your doomsaying becomes irrational when there are no longer facts to support it. You can't look at it objectively when you're projecting your fears on to the situation. You have to step back and put it in perspective, which is impossible to do if you only look at the negatives.

You're a glass half-empty kinda guy, that's your choice; but the rest of us are by no means required to accept that "reality" when there is no rational reason to do so.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:58 AM

187 posts, read 1,024,806 times
NC_Paddler:

You're trying way too hard. Asheville Native is always right, at least in his own mind.

It's not worth the effort. Trust me on this...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:48 AM

765 posts, read 2,575,394 times
Default U.S. sales of existing homes rose unexpectedly last month but still fell in Western North Carolina

It just keeps getting better:

Home sales rise in US, fall in WNC | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
It just keeps getting better:
Yes it does. Fewer McMansions being sold means fewer being built.

"Sales of homes under $285,000 seem to be stable with only a small excess in inventory. This would indicate that the "average" buyer has plenty of homes to choose from and most of them are at fair market value."

Real Estate Blog - Asheville Real Estate: Buncombe County, NC - Homes In Inventory By Price Range - November 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina