Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 PM

80 posts, read 322,712 times

Advertisements

Paddler, I do hope you have made money from Cramer's advice because he should actually be paying you for your spirited defense (or is it defensiveness?). Not sure why you are ragging on "anonymous chat boards" since you seem a pretty active user (and anonymously, I might add ). You seem to say that anyone who has a TV show (and a loud voice, and some sound effects) should be respected for their wisdom, if not their volume. So does that mean, say, Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly are both geniuses whose opinions we must respect? As for Cramer's status as a billionaire -- I don't believe that is accurate, by the way -- Bernie Madoff was a billionaire. Wealth does not necessarily equate to clairvoyance, or scruples in Madoff's case...As for your shot at my "two years more of pain" comment, your buddy Cramer said the housing crisis will be over in June 2009. Wanna bet who is going to be closer to correct? And I am neither a billionaire nor a published author nor have my own TV show. I am just, as you put it, a lowly "anonymous chat room poster." I guess I am in the same boat as everyone else on this board...except, of course, you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:48 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,864 times
Someone said that there were job freezes and or layouffs in the medical industry but according to an article int the CT today the only bright picture was some hiring in the medical field:

"Elingburg expects rates to rise again in January. The first quarter often sees the highest unemployment rates of the year because of slowdowns in construction and tourism-related jobs, but Elingburg said this January has been even slower than usual.

“December we thought was bad, but January has been worse,” he said. “The job market for all intents and purposes has just about stopped right now, except for some medical hiring.”

WNC jobless rate rises | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Old 01-31-2009, 02:44 PM

141 posts, read 323,013 times
That was me; and I'm just posting what I'm seeing first hand as I work for a local hospital. Some are doing better than others, but we're in no way exempt from what is going on in the economy as a whole. I can expand if you wish, but much of my opinion depends on the Federal Governments response to our current economic problems. Continually flushing money down the black holes of Wall Street and the bad banks will lead to the Government not being able to fund Medicare and Medicaid. Where will our quasi socialized health system be without backing for the elderly and indigent?

As for the Cramer debate Paddler can have him.

My opinion is being shaped by

Karl Denninger
The Market Ticker

Michael Shedlock
Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis

And Nouriel Roubini
RGE - Nouriel Roubini's Global EconoMonitor

But none of them have a TV show so their opinions should not merit any further consideration.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:23 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,919,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgavrich View Post
Not sure why you are ragging on "anonymous chat boards" since you seem a pretty active user (and anonymously, I might add ).
I'm not "ragging on them"; I'm just pointing out the relative level of sophistication between a television show run by one of the most respected people on Wall Street and a chat board where anonymous people throw out "analyses" with little or no substance.

Quote:
You seem to say that anyone who has a TV show (and a loud voice, and some sound effects) should be respected for their wisdom, if not their volume.
And you seem to have very poor reading comprehension.

Quote:
So does that mean, say, Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly are both geniuses whose opinions we must respect?
lol

Quote:
As for your shot at my "two years more of pain" comment, your buddy Cramer said the housing crisis will be over in June 2009.
I've already pointed out the flaws in Cramer's analysis and provided an alternative thesis and my reasoning to back it up -- something you haven't bothered to do. Besides, you are manipulating his words -- he called for the housing market to bottom in June 2009, which is not the same thing as "the housing crisis will be over". As I've pointed out many times already in this thread, because something bottoms does not mean the "crisis" is over -- it just means that things stop getting worse, which is the first step to an eventual recovery.

In addition, you haven't made any claims of your own that can be substantiated in any meaningful way -- only your totally vague and useless comment that "there will be two more years of pain". This is a meaningless statement -- one that any 10-year old could overhear from the talking heads on tv and regurgitate back. For example, the housing market may bottom in late '09/early '10, but remain stagnant for years to come. Both statements could be correct -- the market may both bottom out and there may be more pain to come.

So your "analysis" is hardly useful, other than for blathering out opinions on a chat board and for childish pisssing contests.

As for the usefulness of the tools that Cramer provides, as with any tool, it is of absolutely no use to anyone who doesn't understand the context in which to use it and who doesn't even bother to read the instructional manual. Rather than blame the tool, you might consider that it's just another case of "user error".

Old 02-01-2009, 12:17 PM

80 posts, read 322,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
This is a meaningless statement -- one that any 10-year old could overhear from the talking heads on tv and regurgitate back.
And what, Paddler, is Cramer if not a "talking head on tv?" Hoisted (again) upon your own petard.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
What are their Bachelors degrees in? Graduating with a BA in the Humanities or Women's Lit prepared them for exactly the job they have.
You're incorrectly making the assumption that most everyone that is degreed with a low paying and/or undesirable job chose a field of study that doesn't prepare them for the the real world. I'm not going to waste my time writing out each person's degree. Asheville just isn't a good place for a younger person recently out of college to find decent paying meaninful work at this time...and likely won't be any time soon.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:36 PM

141 posts, read 323,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
You're incorrectly making the assumption that most everyone that is degreed with a low paying and/or undesirable job chose a field of study that doesn't prepare them for the the real world. I'm not going to waste my time writing out each person's degree. Asheville just isn't a good place for a younger person recently out of college to find decent paying meaninful work at this time...and likely won't be any time soon.
It was a sarcastic comment and perhaps a bit over the top, but there is a grain of truth to it. If your friends are under employed perhaps its time to cut the cord to Asheville and actively look for jobs outside of the area.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,919,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgavrich View Post
And what, Paddler, is Cramer if not a "talking head on tv?" Hoisted (again) upon your own petard.
And your point is what exactly?

Look, you haven't taken any kind of position that can be reasonably substantiated. You have to refine your position to something more specific than "there will be two more years of pain", which as I've pointed out is so vague as to be useless. Until then, you and the "it's a train wreck!!!" and "we're alllll gonnnaaaaa diiiiiiieeeee" crowd are free to exchange scary-sounding mantras with each other to your hearts content.

Last edited by NC_Paddler; 02-02-2009 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-02-2009, 07:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Cramer is loud, but not that accurate. Yet there are a few whose accuracy is lower, but only a few.

CXOAG Guru Grades

Think the prudent would aim a bit higher when selecting advise.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
It was a sarcastic comment and perhaps a bit over the top, but there is a grain of truth to it. If your friends are under employed perhaps its time to cut the cord to Asheville and actively look for jobs outside of the area.
Some of them unfortunately are doing that out of necessity. For all I know after the nearly 10 years I've been here I may be one of them as well. Asheville will lose it's uniqueness over the years as many of the people that help make this town diverse and hip will be forced out for economic reasons(and that won't change when the economy is better).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina