Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 PM

160 posts, read 454,566 times

Advertisements

I moved from Osceola, WI to Elk River, MN. Although Elk River is nice and we have both the Mississippi and Elk Rivers here...NOTHING compares to Osceola, the bluffs, the country people and the beautiful St. Croix River just an hour from the twin cities. If your a city person though, you wouldn't like either town. Osceola's population is about 2,000 and Elk River is about 23,000. A little big for my country roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,352 times
Moved from Wi to FL. I see two things I consider "advantage".
I don't know if my hands fit a snow shovel anymore...
I can go fishing any time of the year without drilling a hole in the water.

Downside?
Drugs
Drunks
Derelicts
Far more than I ever saw in WI.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:19 AM

22 posts, read 38,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot66 View Post
I agree. An example of conforming. there's a nieghbor who has an adult son, in his 40's who moved in with them. He's getting his ife in order, no biggie, but then a neighbor asks, in a way like there's possibly something wrong, why do they have an adult son living with them?? WHO CARES. It's none of their business and they shouldn't be shunned for that. Gosh not a "perfect family", lol.
...Also, if you do something that slightly offend someone, they hold it against you forever. That is NOT being laid back by any means. that irks me the most. It's not Christian.

I agree with the first part. That is why I have always wanted to leave Wisconsin. It's very hard to live your life without older, churchy, or perfect-family people judging you. Wisconsin is just too small, and the judgemental people have the opportunity to just spend their lives in a rocking chair watching EVERYTHING that you DO.......! It's annoying that more people don't find something better to do than gawk, judge, and gossip.

I guess I didn't understand the last part of your message until I began responding myself. The laid back comment poked me, and the "Christian" comment I think sounded judgemental. I only include that as FYI. You probably didn't mean it that way, but if you read again... when you end a sentance with "It's not Christian," it really sounds judgemental. I think that you were just giving your own assesment, but I guess the laid back comment gets to me because I live in California now, and I hear the term "laid back" to describe many things that I cannot identify with. I DO find the entire Midwest to be "laid back" in a sense that people are humble and don't think of themselves as they need to win or be first. I see what you mean with people being "laid back" as far as letting experiences come and go with ease, but after having experienced both of those 2 deffinitions, I definately prefer the 1st of the 2.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:54 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llratke View Post
I moved from Osceola, WI to Elk River, MN. Although Elk River is nice and we have both the Mississippi and Elk Rivers here...NOTHING compares to Osceola, the bluffs, the country people and the beautiful St. Croix River just an hour from the twin cities. If your a city person though, you wouldn't like either town. Osceola's population is about 2,000 and Elk River is about 23,000. A little big for my country roots.
Oh I dream of living in a place like Osceola or St. Croix Falls someday. I've finally decided what I want from here on out, for the rest of my life - I want to live in a smaller town or city outside of a big city. And Osceola is a hop, skip, and a jump from the Twin Cities. Maybe a little over an hour. I'm already pretty close now. I'm currently 2 1/2 hours from The Cities. And that's great too. But that's what I think I always want. I never want to be stuck in the "boonies" again, which for me means living much more than two or three hours from a major U.S. city. But I do love the pace of small city/small town life. I just moved six months ago from a city of 60,000 in Montana (cities out there don't get a great deal bigger than that) back to my hometown town in Northern Wisconsin which has a population of a little under 10,000. When I first pulled back into town I thought with a chuckle, "I'd better look for jobs/housing down in the La Crosse or Eau Claire areas. I think I've outgrown this place." But.... I've come to appreciate the slower pace again. Less agitation in the stores. Less rushing. I like it. And the big city is still right there if I want it. I love the energy of the city, too.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 AM

73 posts, read 215,826 times
My family left WI and moved to New Jersey about 6 months ago due to my husband's job. He had worked as an independent contractor for Famous Footwear just as they were closing up operations in Madison and moving everything to the Brown Shoe Company headquarters in St. Louis. He worked from home for them for about two years and was offered a promotion at the company's Manhattan office.

We chose northern New Jersey because it is much more affordable than Manhattan, and we generally like it here. The cost of living is astronomical - we went from paying just shy of $800/month for a 2 bed/2ba apartment in the Lake Country area to paying nearly $2300/month (a similar apartment in Manhattan would easily cost $5000+ per month) for an identically sized apartment here in Jersey (and we had to give up a large storage area and a private garage). We are in the process of buying a house and the sticker shock is similar - the 3bed/1ba cosmetically dated ranch we chose costs double what we would have paid in the Oconomowoc area and has taxes that are easily triple what we would have paid in WI.

Price aside, New Jersey is surprisingly beautiful. It has always been the butt of jokes, and "Jersey Shore" is only exacerbating the problem, but that is not at all what most of NJ is like. The areas near NYC are crowded and middle class (I would compare it to a giant sprawl of areas like West Allis, Oak Creek, and Hales Corners), but our neighbors are friendly and welcoming. We have access to everything NYC has to offer, but come home to the 'burbs at night. If we drive only 45 minutes north or west we end up in beautiful suburban and rural mountain areas that bear exactly zero resemblance to the NJ of "Sopranos" and "Jersey Shore" and remind me more of the southern Kettle Moraine.

That said, we miss the midwest, but that has more to do with the friends and family still in WI. Personally, my husband and I are both hoping to move to St. Louis in a few years. We will miss having the world-class culture that NYC offers, but are looking forward to an affordable cost of living and being only a few hour drive from the Milwaukee area.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:47 AM
PCK

12 posts, read 42,426 times
I moved out of WI to CA last summer. Seriously I miss WI so bad. The people, the culture, the low cost of living. I think the winters are a small price to pay now that I've seen what else is out there. If you EVER want to go to a store out here in CA it will be jam packed with people. I now only go shopping on weekdays and even then its packed. The traffic out here is nuts. The sales tax and gas prices are insane. I will be moving back to WI or at least the midwest in a year, that is my goal. Do not devalue what you have. The stress level of everyday life is much less in WI than in CA.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:16 AM

3,948 posts, read 2,571,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Moved from Wi to FL. I see two things I consider "advantage".
I don't know if my hands fit a snow shovel anymore...
I can go fishing any time of the year without drilling a hole in the water.

Downside?
Drugs
Drunks
Derelicts
Far more than I ever saw in WI.
Can't work a shovel anymore? My condolences. j/k!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snixy View Post
Price aside, New Jersey is surprisingly beautiful. It has always been the butt of jokes, and "Jersey Shore" is only exacerbating the problem, but that is not at all what most of NJ is like. The areas near NYC are crowded and middle class (I would compare it to a giant sprawl of areas like West Allis, Oak Creek, and Hales Corners), but our neighbors are friendly and welcoming. We have access to everything NYC has to offer, but come home to the 'burbs at night. If we drive only 45 minutes north or west we end up in beautiful suburban and rural mountain areas that bear exactly zero resemblance to the NJ of "Sopranos" and "Jersey Shore" and remind me more of the southern Kettle Moraine.
That sounds nice. Nice to hear a realistic take on New Jersey. I've never really read their forum. I never bought all the stereotypes, but I've never really read what it's like to live there, either. Sounds like it's a great place you've found there... in the meantime. Here's hoping St. Louis is more affordable for you.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 PM

11 posts, read 33,509 times
I've visited 35 states, planning on getting to all 50, it is on my bucket list. My mother is in the Air Force, so she has lived all over. I have lived in:

North Dakota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Georgia.

I frequently visit family in:

Iowa, Montana, Washington DC, New Jersey, and California, and Colorado

Here are the pros and cons of Wisconsin:

Pros:

1. Beautiful during the fall and summer, the fall leaves are the best foliage I've seen anywhere.
2. Lots of great activities and vacation spots for those who love the great outdoors.

Cons:

1. Winter (although my winters in North Dakota were worse, WI winters are long).
2. People are not that warm and welcoming, not as friendly as other places I've lived. I know that people from WI consider their state on of the friendliest, but it is the least friendly place I've lived, and it was hard for us to make friends when we moved there.
3. Cost of living: definately the most expensive place I have ever lived, and more expensive than where my other family members live. The taxes, the housing, all extremely overpriced for what you get.
4. The food. I was spoiled living in the South where the produce, seafood, etc. is extremely fresh and the variety is unbeatable. My groceries bills are also much lower since moving away.
5. Lack of "culture." WI is the most closed off place I have lived in terms of being in touch with what is going on with the rest of the country. I also lamented the lack of good restaurants, there was no "fine dining" to speak of where we lived, unless you counted the Friday night fish fry and the Saturday night Prime rib specials at the local "supper club." I'm sure this is better in the larger cities, but my experiences in the smaller cities and small towns was disappointing. Also, very few people I met in WI had done much travelling outside the state, it is as if the world ends at the border.
6. Superiority complex. Wisconsin is great, but not as great as people from WI think it is. The only places I know that are worse in this area are New York City, and Minnesota. Again, maybe this is because people in WI are not that well travelled?
7. Housing is overpriced. I have a very nice house in Southern GA that would probably cost me twice as much if I bought a comprable house in WI, and the property taxes would quadruple. When I move back to WI, I will have to downsize in order to spend the same amount on housing as I do now, and that makes me very sad.

I am not trying to bash WI. I am moving back there in a few months. I am looking forward to hopefully meeting some nice people and enjoying the lovely summers again. But I am not happy that although my husband is getting a raise, the increase in our cost of living is basically going to use up whatever extra income we will be making. Also, the pros of living in WI are the types of things that can be found anywhere. I live within a few hours of great beaches, Orlando, and all kinds of great vacation destinations. There are also beautiful lakes and rivers where I live, as beautiful as any I've seen in WI. So, although I enjoy living in WI, there is nothing that really makes it better than any other place I've lived, and plenty of cons that make it my least favorite of all the places I've lived. If the economy were not in such a pickle, we would probably let this opportunity in WI pass us by. But right now you have to take what you can get.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethk View Post
I've visited 35 states, planning on getting to all 50, it is on my bucket list. My mother is in the Air Force, so she has lived all over. I have lived in:

North Dakota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Georgia.

I frequently visit family in:

Iowa, Montana, Washington DC, New Jersey, and California, and Colorado

Here are the pros and cons of Wisconsin:

Pros:

1. Beautiful during the fall and summer, the fall leaves are the best foliage I've seen anywhere.
2. Lots of great activities and vacation spots for those who love the great outdoors.

Cons:

1. Winter (although my winters in North Dakota were worse, WI winters are long).
2. People are not that warm and welcoming, not as friendly as other places I've lived. I know that people from WI consider their state on of the friendliest, but it is the least friendly place I've lived, and it was hard for us to make friends when we moved there.
3. Cost of living: definately the most expensive place I have ever lived, and more expensive than where my other family members live. The taxes, the housing, all extremely overpriced for what you get.
4. The food. I was spoiled living in the South where the produce, seafood, etc. is extremely fresh and the variety is unbeatable. My groceries bills are also much lower since moving away.
5. Lack of "culture." WI is the most closed off place I have lived in terms of being in touch with what is going on with the rest of the country. I also lamented the lack of good restaurants, there was no "fine dining" to speak of where we lived, unless you counted the Friday night fish fry and the Saturday night Prime rib specials at the local "supper club." I'm sure this is better in the larger cities, but my experiences in the smaller cities and small towns was disappointing. Also, very few people I met in WI had done much travelling outside the state, it is as if the world ends at the border.
6. Superiority complex. Wisconsin is great, but not as great as people from WI think it is. The only places I know that are worse in this area are New York City, and Minnesota. Again, maybe this is because people in WI are not that well travelled?
7. Housing is overpriced. I have a very nice house in Southern GA that would probably cost me twice as much if I bought a comprable house in WI, and the property taxes would quadruple. When I move back to WI, I will have to downsize in order to spend the same amount on housing as I do now, and that makes me very sad.

I am not trying to bash WI. I am moving back there in a few months. I am looking forward to hopefully meeting some nice people and enjoying the lovely summers again. But I am not happy that although my husband is getting a raise, the increase in our cost of living is basically going to use up whatever extra income we will be making. Also, the pros of living in WI are the types of things that can be found anywhere. I live within a few hours of great beaches, Orlando, and all kinds of great vacation destinations. There are also beautiful lakes and rivers where I live, as beautiful as any I've seen in WI. So, although I enjoy living in WI, there is nothing that really makes it better than any other place I've lived, and plenty of cons that make it my least favorite of all the places I've lived. If the economy were not in such a pickle, we would probably let this opportunity in WI pass us by. But right now you have to take what you can get.
As far as people who never leave Wisconsin, very very true.... but that's true of people who live anywhere. I think no matter where you go, you'll always find those big pockets of people who never leave their little corner of the Universe. One lady at my work lives in the tiny town I lived in as a small child. (Current population just over 200, it was even less back in the '80s when I lived there.) She's never been further than Green Bay, and she looked horrified at the concept of going further.

I work with a mother and daughter. The mother's in her early '40s the daughter is 24. I've talked about Caribou Coffee (a popular coffee place around here, my cousin and I love it) and Starbucks to the daughter. She's like, "I don't like that nasty fancy coffee. Quik Trip has what I need." (Quik Trip is the little chain of gas stations popular in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.) I mentioned I enjoy going to shows in the Twin Cities, two and a half hours away, when I get the chance. Her mother said, "Minneapolis? Ew..." (Actually I don't quite remember if she actually said "ew".. but it was definitely said in that tone of voice. hahaha! If she didn't say it, she may as well have.)

And there are other examples as well... but I won't go into them.

And yet... do these people seem unhappy? No. The daughter just entered a fishing contest. She plays on an adult soccer team. She's very active.... around here. But she and her little circle (she and her mom have the same friends) don't have any desire to leave the area. The daughter talks of how much she loves New Mexico, because she went there on vacation, and might want to live there. And maybe she will. She's young. But I also sort of get the impression she's one of those people that likes to talk, and not much else...

And then there are others, like my cousin. He frequently gets on a plane to see his brother, my other cousin, in Denver. He just got back from a Florida vacation with friends. He frequently visits friends in Minneapolis even though he lives Upnorth like me. (A little further north.) We're both similar in that we embrace other cultures when we can get it. Diff foods, the arts, and whatnot. Particularily music... so...

There's all kinds everywhere. I know a lot of those insular people. And it's very strange everytime I'm on my way down to Minneapolis, to think there are a lot of people I know who never leave our area and have no desire. Like my co-worker. I mention going further than an hour from where she lives and she's like "Ohhhh, too far!" The hermits are very real. There truly are people that never leave.... but then there are the ones that fool ya too.

My grandpa, he's retired. He walks around in overalls and a little baseball hat dinking around the house and his rental properties. He lives in a small northern Wisconsin town. Spends most of his time on county roads and small-town streets. But he drives like a boss in Minneapolis. He knows what he's doing. He lived there as a young man and my mom was born there. And he loves to go out west by himself in his camper.

I'm just saying there's more to people than meets the eye sometimes. I think here in Wisconsin, people are proud, and roots are firmly planted here. So it may seem like they never leave or never want to. But they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin