Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2015 View Post
And by the way I have no negative opinion toward anyone who drinks I mean how can you not in times like these. It seems like the entire world wants to destroy us. I just think life is too short to live like some of these people in places like Waukesha, Janesville, Madison and elsewhere. Milwaukee or Chicago are definitely the better of all other places around here. When I worked for HP all I did was hang out in Milwaukee or Chicago. When you float out to the burbs people are putting their kids to bed around 6:30 at night and going to bed themselves about an hour later. If you get up at 7 a.m. why in God's name do you need to be in bed by 7 the night before? I mean think about it if you lay there for an hour and finally fall asleep 8 to 7 is 11 hours of rest. That is totally unhealthy for you and depressing in my opinion and it's rubbing off on the normal people. I'd make those kids do a few miles on the treadmill and put them to bed by 9 or 10. lol

Oh and the hours of stuff around here cracks me up. Did it ever dawn on leadership and business the reason retails sales are down is because you hold hours not suitable for the consumer. If you want peoples money it's a little hard to get it if you are closed all the time.

I live in Boston, I've also lived in SF and Chicago, as well as Madison (and other places). I assure you, people are going out as or more often in Madison, and as late, as any other place I've lived. Actually, more.

I really have no clue where you're getting your rant material from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 AM

223 posts, read 391,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2015 View Post
Going to a 10 o'clock show or meeting colleagues from work at the local sports pub to have a beer. Some folks around here think if you're in your 30's, 40's or above and out past 9 pm you're going through a mid-life crisis, possess a drinking problem or unfaithful to your spouse. That is such stereotypical Midwestern nonsense and I've witnessed it a million times so don't act like it doesn't go on. Meanwhile in large cities elsewhere whether it be Los Angeles, New York or wherever this goes on regularly and no one gives it a second thought (or at least not like they do here). Most people here my age turn their lights off and go to sleep by 7:30 at night. It is so lame witnessing such a large majority of people doing this especially on the weekends. I saw this kind of behavior when I lived in Janesville, Madison and Oak Creek so if you think moving to another city within the state resolves this problem you're sadly mistaking. Heck some communities now don't even have a 9 o'clock show anymore and have done away with it. After some careful research I learned the city counsel in one community was actually pressuring business to turn its lights off and close earlier. This is seriously messed up because not everyone is a house mouse. If you all want to live like hermits fine that is your thing but when you start pressing this on everyone else like it should be the norm that is like a cult and messed up. I seriously worry about the depression levels of younger generations in this part of the country because I can barely take it myself and I'm older.
As someone in my 30s who goes out fairly regularly, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I'll grant you that there is an overzealous element to Wisconsin that's obsessed with family life and can get judgmental towards the rest of us, but they do not dominate the culture as much as you seem to think they do. Especially not here in Milwaukee, where you can go to places like the Third Ward or Bay View and find plenty of nightlife centered on the 30s/40s crowd.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
And to include Madison on that list? LOL. That place has a reputation far and wide as a hard-partying town. Does it have the glitz and glamor of Vegas or Miami Beach, no... but ain't nobody gonna chastise you if there's a pint of beer in your hand past 9pm either, that's for sure. Hell, you're more likely to catch flak if you're out that late and there isn't a drink in your hand.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:12 AM

9 posts, read 11,775 times
Wow as usual a bunch of people online defending Wisconsin against anyone who has anything negative to say about it say it isn't so! You people crack me up. The state has some of the most unpredictable climate around and goes from 60 to 15 at the drop of a hat and you want everyone to believe people are outside partying it up like a coastal party in Cali or something. Yeah ok whatever keep dreaming. As far as Boston goes I've been there numerous times and wasn't impressed so that is like comparing excrement to excrement. Both locations are obsessed with sports and full of low class and rude people. Madison is wayyyy too liberal and everyone is overly judgmental. Oh and your stupid roundabouts I can't say enough about those dumb things. Obsess about speed much jeez!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 AM

here is an example of what i am talking about and i couldn't agree more:
Wisconsin ranked one of the most miserable states to celebrate T - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

tons of articles have recently been in the ap about this and Wisconsin has been at the top of many!
Wisconsin ranked one of the most miserable states to celebrate Thanksgiving | The Victory Lap

Forbes Lists America's 20 'Most Miserable Cities'; Guess What The Vast Majority Have in Common?

I guess if I had to sum up the people here I'd say they're overly confrontational. I held these feelings in for seven years before I shared them online but its been seven years of complete hell because daily I run into rude people here. They argue everything you say it's like shut the hell up already. I swear it leaves you screaming and running to ohare airport as fast as possible or wanting to shove a loaf of bread down their throats. Bunch of blowhards my God it is like Frasier multiplied by a million. bla bla bla bla bla bla You say hey Wisconsin you said it all!! YOU AIN'T KIDDING ABOUT THAT BTW. Highlight of entertainment is lighting stinkers and sniffing results.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:46 AM

By rangers standards you have to perform 20 laps around the track and sit on these forums for ten years as a user before you can have a legitimate opinion about the state of Wisconsin or anything for that matter. -=SENSE=- If we applied that thinking to everything you wouldn't be able to drive a boat right away, vote right away after hitting voting age, have sex right away after discovering you have genitals, drive a car right away after getting a license, scratch your balls right away after realizing you have fingers, etc..

My wife was correct, writing on these forums is a waste of time because they're full of trolls and dumb people.

Visitors reading this I'll let you in on a little secret as someone who's worked in telecom for years. Most cable television viewers as well as blog posters reside in this part of the world. Within that statistic a great deal of the bloggers in fact reside in Wisconsin esp on sites like yahoo comments and yahoo answers. Think about that, for a state which supposedly has so much to do and its people do so much outside isn't it interesting how they also find time to be so vocal and actively involved on the web and watch so much television! It's also interesting how they manage to do so much outside with the unpredictability of their climate as i mentioned about. Here this site provides a good graphic of weather predictability by region and as you can plainly see Wisconsin is near the bottom of predictability.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...table-weather/

Another interesting article about depression levels by state and it has Wisconsin ranked 13th most depressing state:
http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/depr...dest-states/5/

Every year a study comes out about depression levels by state or city no matter who publishes it I can't help but notice at least half the places mentioned exist near Wisconsin. If it isn't Ohio claiming it you'll see Illinois in there or Michigan but there is no question the depression levels are great in this region of the country. Yet many of the locals and their cronies still deny this reality and act like everything is hunky dory. Maybe it is for you people but for those of us outside of your tightly bound circle or click of friends the world doesn't seem that way. It has been my experience since I was born here it is the clickiest most judgmental environment masquerading as something else. Groups of friends here don't let anyone in and they like it that way. If you're depressed and need help in any way this is the worse place to be because people here will leave you alone and push you over the edge. No one here wants to here problems because they have enough of their own. All they want to do is drink beer, talk about politics and get the score on the game. Heck to me that is more boring and depressing than listening to someone carrying on and on about Washington or the stupid final four (which is stacked every year).

Last edited by todd2015; 03-31-2015 at 01:34 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,370 times
You are entitled to your negative opinion about Wisconsin. It's the internet, though. It's not really worth getting that upset over. As long as no one's forcing you to live here, it's not really a big deal, is it?

There are good things about living in WI and bad things about living in WI. I think it's about adaptation and for those of us born and raised here, we kind of take the weather "mood swings" in stride. It's just something we're used to, I guess. I totally agree that there is way too much importance put on sports here... especially Packer related stuff. It's tiring. I kind of like the roundabouts, though, honestly. I find them effective. Yield to the left. Be in the correct lane. Easy as pie. Or cheese, since we're in Wisconsin. Easy cheesy.

Sorry you had such a bad WI experience, Todd. I had a similar experience living in Oklahoma...but I was suffering from post partum depression as well as post-surgical issues. (The tornado that hit us the first week after moving there, however, was NOT my fault.) I really had a clouded perception because of my mental state. I'd like to revisit Oklahoma to get a better perspective now that I'm no longer in that particular mental state, honestly. It can't be as bad as I remember. Maybe you'll find WI to be more palatable at some point in the future, too. I'm looking out at Lake Poygan and thinking how pretty it looks right now. The grass is starting to turn green(ish) and the sand hill cranes are all flying overhead. That might not mean a lot to other people, but I kind of like it. I lived in SC last year and the weather was nice year round. It was lovely. But I don't mind winter here in WI, either. I know how to drive in snow and how to dress comfortably for the weather. (Floor it... and flip flops.) Just kidding!

Hope you realize that this post is meant to inject some levity into this thread. Have a good day.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:49 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I kind of like the roundabouts, though, honestly. I find them effective. Yield to the left. Be in the correct lane. Easy as pie. Or cheese, since we're in Wisconsin. Easy cheesy.

Obviously you've had training in the use of the roundabout lol.... we have some "new" ones by me opened this past fall, and from the near misses I've witnessed, drivers must be under the assumption that the best way thru a roundabout is as the crow flies. Just keep the car going straight regardless of required lane, stare ahead so the other drivers wont notice you doing it, and barring a little "metal on metal" there wont be any issue.

Can you imagine if they were more common down in SC? Without nascar-type spotters helping a driver out, I cringe at the thought.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:02 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Obviously you've had training in the use of the roundabout lol.... we have some "new" ones by me opened this past fall, and from the near misses I've witnessed, drivers must be under the assumption that the best way thru a roundabout is as the crow flies. Just keep the car going straight regardless of required lane, stare ahead so the other drivers wont notice you doing it, and barring a little "metal on metal" there wont be any issue.

Can you imagine if they were more common down in SC? Without nascar-type spotters helping a driver out, I cringe at the thought.

Oh Lordy, LORDY. In SC they would be bumper cars! That's one great thing about being back in WI... the driving is much better.

I had my first experience with roundabouts in Aruba. I was like, "What the hell are THESE?" when I first saw them. Second thought was, "Nope." Then, after a day, I was thinking, "Huh. These are pretty nifty, after all." Old dog, new tricks and all that.

They overdid the roundabouts in Oshkosh, however. There is one stretch on Hwy 21 that is dizzying. And I have seen many people do exactly what you described! Eyes forward, floor it through the roundabout. Not the best way to get through life. I have one friend who screams like she's in a horror movie every time she has to travel through one. It was funny the first time. Kinda. Dramatic, anyway!

Are you enjoying being back in WI, Ranger? I hope so! I remember how much I like the coming of springtime, quite honestly. My neighbors still have a large snowbank in their backyard... and the daffodils are popping out in the front yard! Interesting. The ice is finally going out on Lake Poygan. Someone left a large, black... something... out on the ice and it's still sitting there. I'm curious as to what it is, but I'm not going to haul my buns out there to find out, that's for sure.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Are you enjoying being back in WI, Ranger? I hope so! I remember how much I like the coming of springtime, quite honestly. My neighbors still have a large snowbank in their backyard... and the daffodils are popping out in the front yard! Interesting. The ice is finally going out on Lake Poygan. Someone left a large, black... something... out on the ice and it's still sitting there. I'm curious as to what it is, but I'm not going to haul my buns out there to find out, that's for sure.
well we love being back up here with our grandson and family; I'd be lying though if i said we liked the WI climate better. After our little 6 yr "southern vacation", family ended up coming first for us but we do miss many things about SC (especially over the winter lol). The sooner i can get shorts on and drop the top on our car, then i'll be happy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin