Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,876 times

Advertisements

I worked in Omaha for a couple weeks last year and was really surprised at everything it had to offer. Kind of a best kept secret. A lot going on in the arts especially!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAB1452 View Post
IDK if we are still on topic...but in short...check out Omaha Nebraska if you plan on moving...one of the BEST areas to live...not much different from wisconsin in a lot of ways and yet worlds different in so many ways...confusing statement I know...but as a person who LOVES wisconsin...I found that this place reminds me of home quite a bit but has milder winters and longer spring/summer months...its not far from home but it's still a "trip" to go home...there are great cultural events here...great diversity and many great jobs to look for...you are somewhat centrally located between cities like Des Moines, Kansas City and not as much Denver but it's close enough to make a trip...however I know that the winters are more "ice" and less snow...and windy as heck
Omaha is like 80% white, not exactly what I would call "great diversity."

Also, Denver is an 8 hour from Omaha. You might as well drive to Chicago then.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:38 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
woah be it to anyone who comes on here saying, even remotely, that a city in the usa might be even somewhat as nice as the great milwaukee

sometimes diversity isn't so great....

Crisis requires funding - JSOnline

but when you consider that Milwaukee has one of the highest black teen pregnancy rates and the highest black non-marital birth rate among the 100 largest cities in the country,

Taking comments on African-American male unemployment - JSOnline

It’s even worse for African-American males, for whom the unemployment rate hit 18% in May.
Joblessness for black males in Milwaukee is among the worst in the country, according to research from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

JS Online: Milwaukee’s black/white jobless gap is highest in U.S.

Milwaukees black/white jobless gap is highest in U.S.

More than half of the working-age African-American males in greater Milwaukee are not employed, according to a university report released Sunday.
Milwaukee's black male joblessness is second only to Buffalo's among 35 large metro areas, according to the report from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Center for Economic Development. But Milwaukee is second to none in the gap between black and white joblessness.

[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
woah be it to anyone who comes on here saying, even remotely, that a city in the usa might be even somewhat as nice as the great milwaukee

but when you consider that Milwaukee has one of the highest black teen pregnancy rates and the highest black non-marital birth rate among the 100 largest cities in the country,

It’s even worse for African-American males, for whom the unemployment rate hit 18% in May.
Joblessness for black males in Milwaukee is among the worst in the country, according to research from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

JS Online: Milwaukee̢۪s black/white jobless gap is highest in U.S.

More than half of the working-age African-American males in greater Milwaukee are not employed, according to a university report released Sunday.
Milwaukee's black male joblessness is second only to Buffalo's among 35 large metro areas, according to the report from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Center for Economic Development. But Milwaukee is second to none in the gap between black and white joblessness.

[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
You must have a PhD in Troll-ology. I'm confused. I never even made mention of Milwaukee in my post. How exactly does this relate to Omaha's "diversity"??? Are you actually saying a city that's 80% white, like Omaha, is diverse or something???

Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,806 times
Quote:

Also, Denver is an 8 hour from Omaha. You might as well drive to Chicago then.
I would assume you had noticed that outside of MILW, WI is mostly white, so no BIG surprise with the comparison. Maybe person you quoted would rather travel to Denver than Chicago>>>to each his or her own!

Quote:
You must have a PhD in Troll-ology. I'm confused. I never even made mention of Milwaukee in my post. How exactly does this relate to Omaha's "diversity"??? Are you actually saying a city that's 80% white, like Omaha, is diverse or something???
I think Badger answers this in the post I quoted but I will bold it for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

JS Online: Milwaukee’s black/white jobless gap is highest in U.S.

[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
I don't think his/her response deserves being called a troll.
He/she debated an issue and you on the other hand used the t word. Just saying

I bet the OP loves this newest off track rambling Ahh well that's the way the threads roll!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,993 times
While I may have grown up in the Chicago area, I never really liked it. I always cherished my visits to Wisconsin as a youngster and right into my teens. I had a friend that moved to live with his father in 1970 and having a drivers license I really enjoyed my drives up every weekend to Walworth on Lake Geneva. This is before it became the zoo it is today clogged with all the tourists from Illinois. That was never my scene. I preferred to blend in with the locals.

I moved out West for a few years and briefly moved back to the Midwest in 1980. I married that year and felt that while I spent the time during part of the week on the road selling in the Midwest States, I could not bring my self to live in Illinois, so we moved to an apartment in West Allis. My wife and I got to appreciate the great foods on the weekend brunches that abounded at local restaurants. She adored the cheese and got good and spoiled. Alas my job's income wasn't what we wanted or needed and I took a position out in the San Francisco Bay area, where we lived for 10 years till 1993. Their cost of living became unbearable so we sold our home and moved back to the Salt Lake City area.

Indeed this area had also changed substantially having acquired gangs, higher cost of living and population growth. In 1993 I started a position as an independent rep on the road covering (hard to believe) Ohio to the West Coast. Yep, that's 17 States driving. My wife saw me every 6 weeks for a few weeks and on occasion I'd fly her in to join me for a week on the road. Either way it was an unending adventure. Here's the corker. Of ALL of the States I covered Wisconsin provided my greatest number of sales. I had a great database of customers stretching from the Milwaukee area to Madison to Appleton, Green Bay and even Sturgeon Bay.

I will say without reservation that other than just the success of sales, the relationships I had with my clients(stores) in Wisconsin were not only my favorite but more fulfilling of all my travels over the decade I did this from 1993-2003. I was literally on a high throughout the March-October travel times in the area. I loved the people, the countryside, the air and pretty much everything about it. Call me a sap but for me it was near magical. When I'd cross the Illinois-Wisconsin border going North I could literally feel my bloodpressure lower.

My wife especially enjoyed joining me for my trips where we would spend the weekend up in Door County. She loves those little shops and I turned her loose with the VISA to have fun. We have a nice home now on a mountainside at the south end of the Salt Lake Valley. I hate the traffic/drivers here as the so called domination of the Mormon religion all around. Cost of living is reasonable and resources abound. The mountain view is not hard to take. Some of the most beautiful places on the planet are a easy drive away. Yellowstone Natl. Grand Teton Natl. Park, Zion, Canyonlands and Bryce Natl. Park. Grand Canyon, Glacier Natl. Park and more. Not to mention some of the most beautiful mountains, lakes and rivers within a 20 minute drive. So it's not hard to take. If one is a hiker, skier or just likes the wilderness it's all out here.

But with that said I still miss traveling Wisconsin. It is just special in it's own way. Hard to understand if you're not coming from the same place I am. But it remains a huge provider of memories for me.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,714 times
dcisive - nice post!

Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I would assume you had noticed that outside of MILW, WI is mostly white, so no BIG surprise with the comparison. Maybe person you quoted would rather travel to Denver than Chicago>>>to each his or her own!

I think Badger answers this in the post I quoted but I will bold it for you!

I don't think his/her response deserves being called a troll.
He/she debated an issue and you on the other hand used the t word. Just saying

I bet the OP loves this newest off track rambling Ahh well that's the way the threads roll!
thank you gold*dust. I refuse to even respond to the other's post as I though it was pretty clear how my post related to his claim of MKE's superior "diversity" in relation to Omaha. I didn't really and honestly think it was that difficult to understand. Perhaps if you have blinders on it is.

and you're right, say anything that doesn't bow down and worship MKE here and you're a troll. Silly indeed. and this is why MKE will never change, that provincial attitude that everythings a-ok.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:29 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,806 times
mod cut

There was also the black woman who resides in Milwaukee who lived in a $700,000.00 house off profits she made bilking the state out of thousands from forged childcare subsidies she submitted through her childcare centers (story made our paper) Guess it could go under the "get away with fraud for years undetected in Milwaukee" category. She did have a job.

Last edited by golfgal; 09-16-2009 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: deleted post quote

Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 PM

711 posts, read 1,688,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
mod cut

There was also the black woman who resides in Milwaukee who lived in a $700,000.00 house off profits she made bilking the state out of thousands from forged childcare subsidies she submitted through her childcare centers (story made our paper) Guess it could go under the "get away with fraud for years undetected in Milwaukee" category. She did have a job.
Interesting, when I read the paper she lived in Waukesha county and took advantage of a state program. Either way, it seems a few posters are so bitter and insecure that you need to strike out, in this case, at Milwaukee.

It seems typical of small minds reacting to something they don't understand.

Last edited by golfgal; 09-16-2009 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: removed deleted post quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin