Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:55 AM

68 posts, read 162,603 times

Advertisements

Is it me?Am I just an old fuddy duddy?
I work at the front desk of a multiple physician office and the other girls up front are playing pranks on each other constantly.Getting up and sticking tape all over each others equipment and papers so they can't pick them up and unplugging computers so they can't turn them on....
It's just such unprofessional,immature behavior to me.Have I turned into an old fuddy duddy?Imagine coming into a dr's office with all that going on?
And what's worse is the manager comes out and finds it all funny too.
I don't know if I can work in this atmosphere.Do you think I'm making too much out of these constant pranks?
Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 11:10 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest23 View Post
Have I turned into an old fuddy duddy?
Probably... if the manager is amused by the hijinks, the problem is probably you. Sucks to get old. Have you considered finding a job working with people your age?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:12 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
It sounds pretty unprofessional to me, not to mention the lost productivity costs the business money. The office manager might find it amusing, but my bet is that the practice partners would not.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
You know what they say....laughter is the best medicine.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You know what they say....laughter is the best medicine.
Unless you were the one on the receiving end of the pranks, which isn't funny. As Annerk stated, there is a lost of productivity that the supervisors need to take into consideration. I joke around with my colleagues all the time but do it in a way that respects them and their work space. This is just plain immaturity that has no business in a professional environment, especially in a medical office.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:03 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,215 times
That sounds extremely unprofessional and annoying. I would hate to work in that environment.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:13 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,458 times
Quote:
And what's worse is the manager comes out and finds it all funny too.
There's your problem.

Quote:
I don't know if I can work in this atmosphere.Do you think I'm making too much out of these constant pranks?
If it was just a once in awhile thing and the things are very minor, then maybe. But it sounds like they're well over the top with it all.

Further and most importantly, this isn't some 7-11 or a JC Penny sales clerk situation - this is a doctor's office. If I came in and saw all that, you better believe I'd inform my doctor that this is my last visit here and why. What if in the midst of their little "pranks" they accidentally lost or screwed up some of my medical info (etc etc)? No thanks.

If being mature and professional is "fuddy duddy," count me in. And count on me to go to and/or work in places that agree. Happily, these are still in the majority.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Unless you were the one on the receiving end of the pranks, which isn't funny. As Annerk stated, there is a lost of productivity that the supervisors need to take into consideration. I joke around with my colleagues all the time but do it in a way that respects them and their work space. This is just plain immaturity that has no business in a professional environment, especially in a medical office.
OP hasn't said they are either the target of the pranks or that there is any productivity lost. OP has merely said other people are pulling pranks on other people and that they are annoyed by it. I think its refreshing that there are some people who enjoy their jobs enough to have a laugh during their workday. There's too much whining and negativity in the world and especially in the workplace. The last thing patients need are other people speaking for them. If the patients are bothered by humor, let them speak for themselves.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
OP hasn't said they are either the target of the pranks or that there is any productivity lost. OP has merely said other people are pulling pranks on other people and that they are annoyed by it. I think its refreshing that there are some people who enjoy their jobs enough to have a laugh during their workday. There's too much whining and negativity in the world and especially in the workplace. The last thing patients need are other people speaking for them. If the patients are bothered by humor, let them speak for themselves.
I agree with the bolded part of your post ... Yes, there is way too much negativity in the workplace and some humor could do us all some good (Especially in high stress work environments). The type of humor described by the OP appears to cross the line into immaturity and has no place in a professional office. Pranks can and do get out of hand, especially when the workspace of an employee is violated in the process.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Very unprofessional and especially in a doctor's office. Having a sense of humor is great, but what the OP described is out of the norm.

I can just imagine lost medical records, files getting mixed up, etc.

The doctor or doctors should be informed if they're unaware, and most doctors have no clue how their staff acts unless someone brings it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment