Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

There is just no way it makes financial sense for a company to investigate the one off sick day here or there. I'm guessing it would be pretty rare and the investigations are for the most part on longer term leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
We don't have a distinction between sick days and vacation days, just one pool called "paid time off" or PTO that we can use however we like. So no need to check up on us.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:53 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
I haven't had "sick time" in years-it's PTO-I think it's over the top...my old employer would require a doctors note if you called in sick more than 4 times a year-I don't know would it honestly be worth it for a company to hire detectives so to speak to see if people are really sick?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
There is just no way it makes financial sense for a company to investigate the one off sick day here or there. I'm guessing it would be pretty rare and the investigations are for the most part on longer term leave.
I don't t hink it would be for the one day call in sick. It sounded in the article that there was suspicion that the person was abusing paid sick days. For the company it may cost some money even if they went after a repeat offender, but I think employees will think twice about using sick days to go to the game if someone was canned for abusing it. I'm lucky we get unlimited paid sick days so long as we permit company medical verification. I would have absolutely NO PROBLEM with my employer checking up on my sickness because when I use sick days, I;m sick.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I rarely take sick days so it's a non-issue for me, but depending on how the "checking up" was done I may or may not have an issue with it.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
A co-worker here was BUSTED for posting on facebook, when he was "sick", he was out boating with friends. So, moral of story, do not post on Facebook about the party, when you call in sick! Especially when your boss is your friend on Facebook. He was not fired, but got alot of grief about it...and not in a kind way...

Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I haven't had "sick time" in years-it's PTO-I think it's over the top...my old employer would require a doctors note if you called in sick more than 4 times a year-I don't know would it honestly be worth it for a company to hire detectives so to speak to see if people are really sick?
When I had a job, we had PTO too, it was great It allowed us to manage our time as we needed it making us responsible instead of someone looking over our shoulder.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:14 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
It wouldn't make sense for the company to do this to most employees, far too expensive.

However everyone has worked with the chronic-sick-person, where if you are allowed x days they are taking x days and most of them will be Friday or Monday.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:42 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Yeah, surely this would be reserved for extreme leave abusers.

I'd been on my current job for nine years without taking a single sick day, not one. Then this past Thanksgiving week I got sick as a dog and missed three days. When I called in, they couldn't believe it.

The boss said, "You haven't called in once in nine years, man, you must REALLY be sick....take all the time you need". She actually seemed worried that I might croak or something! LOL

Anyway, it turned out to be pneumonia and I'm OK now...but it sure burned my arse to blow nine years perfect attendance!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
My wife is like that car54, and since she works the city her sick days just accumulate into eternity.

She could go into a coma for six months and just use sicks days to do it, we even dropped her optional ST disability coverage since she now has the sick days to cover same amount of time but at full salary instead of 60%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment