Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM

57 posts, read 252,979 times

Advertisements

I'm really torn. I recently got two job offers, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm also hoping to get into either full-time or part-time MBA program starting end of August.

Job 1: Assistant position at a non-profit, history of lay-offs and at-will employment. Pays 10K less than what I was making before, and after taxes/benefits taken out, I think I can just barely pay my rent, let alone help pay for a part-time MBA program and undergraduate student loans. But it's "stable."

Job 2: 4-month contract as a Manager at a huge organization with great prestige and stability, at 10K more than I was making, but no benefits/paid time off. Also talked with VP about filling another position after the 4-month contract, already wants me to meet people on the other team, but nothing definite for sure. 4-month contract is NOT at-will and is guaranteed. If I see that the position does not go anywhere, I can always quit and do the full-time MBA program (if I get in) and live on grants/loans. I would feel badly if I took a perm job and then quit a couple of months later. I can also continue to interview during the time for a better job, in case this one doesn't pan out. Since they can only offer a 4-month contract right now, I don't think they would mind if I kept interviewing.

What do you think? What would you do?

I should add, Job 2 only offered me a contract because they didn't think I had enough years of experience for the job I interviewed for, but really liked me and were really impressed by me, so they offered me a contract. It's not due to budgetary issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,403,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinva View Post
I'm really torn. I recently got two job offers, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm also hoping to get into either full-time or part-time MBA program starting end of August.

Job 1: Assistant position at a non-profit, history of lay-offs and at-will employment. Pays 10K less than what I was making before, and after taxes/benefits taken out, I think I can just barely pay my rent, let alone help pay for a part-time MBA program and undergraduate student loans. But it's "stable."

Job 2: 4-month contract as a Manager at a huge organization with great prestige and stability, at 10K more than I was making, but no benefits/paid time off. Also talked with VP about filling another position after the 4-month contract, already wants me to meet people on the other team, but nothing definite for sure. 4-month contract is NOT at-will and is guaranteed. If I see that the position does not go anywhere, I can always quit and do the full-time MBA program (if I get in) and live on grants/loans. I would feel badly if I took a perm job and then quit a couple of months later.

What do you think? What would you do?
I would say you should follow the advice you already received in the other thread you posted about this.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,670,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I would say you should follow the advice you already received in the other thread you posted about this.

Exactly. You already have a thread on this.

I don't think you want advice OP from your other threads, you want to people to just agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment