Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 08:50 AM

77 posts, read 385,580 times

Advertisements

I have been unemployed since March. Yet, I have had some temp jobs. There have been some temp jobs I turned down for a permanent job interview and I never got called back from the ones who interviewed me. In the future have a job interview, with a doctor's office only 10 minutes away from my home, on the same day a temporary job wants me to start work and this temp job is 20 minutes away. I am just wondering when I am making the right decision. Should I turn down a temp job for only 4 weeks so I can make money, for an interview for a job I may never get? This has happened so much to me in the past 4 months. Especially when the temp agency tells me it is temp to perm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 AM

83 posts, read 387,632 times
I know of people that have taken a temp position and called in sick the first day. Probably interviews.

My wife took a temp to perm job, got a better job offer for full time, and quit the temp place the first week. She felt guilty but we needed the insurance at the time.

I would think the place you would like to interview with would give you the option of coming in at another date. And that the temp place gives you a day or two of personal time?

Personally I would take the temp job. Then wait up until a month or two of it running out and start looking again just to get yourself a backup in case the temp to perm doesn't work out. Especially if you want to use the same temp agency in the future if something falls through.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:43 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times
I would see if I could reschedule the full time interview. I bet they understand that you can't take off from one job to interview for another one.

Also, many places hire temp to full. That way they get a preview before they waste a lot of money on a worthless employee. Fed Ex does that, and they're a big company.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:02 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,460 times
I too struggle with this question. It always seems to come down to choosing one potential job over another for me. Do I go out and take any old job, just for the paycheck, or do I wait until a job comes along that I really want to do?

I have been out of work for 6 weeks now, I know that is not a lot compared to some. But this is the longest stretch I have ever been without a job since I started working at 16. The longer it goes, the more I want to just go find anything.

What stops me is that I know if I take a job I don't want, my job search will continue and I will be moving on to the next place in six months or a year. So for now, I think it is smart for me to wait and pursue something I really want to do. So that I can spend 5 years at the next job.

My advice to the OP is to do whatever you need to in order to interview. Whether that is starting the temp job a day late, or rescheduling on your lunch hour, etc.

The temp job is not a long term solution, so you have to give yourself every opportunity. If you turn away interviews for a temp job, then you are defeating the purpose of job hunting and will be stuck doing temp for a long time.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:56 AM

77 posts, read 385,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
I too struggle with this question. It always seems to come down to choosing one potential job over another for me. Do I go out and take any old job, just for the paycheck, or do I wait until a job comes along that I really want to do?

I have been out of work for 6 weeks now, I know that is not a lot compared to some. But this is the longest stretch I have ever been without a job since I started working at 16. The longer it goes, the more I want to just go find anything.

What stops me is that I know if I take a job I don't want, my job search will continue and I will be moving on to the next place in six months or a year. So for now, I think it is smart for me to wait and pursue something I really want to do. So that I can spend 5 years at the next job.

My advice to the OP is to do whatever you need to in order to interview. Whether that is starting the temp job a day late, or rescheduling on your lunch hour, etc.

The temp job is not a long term solution, so you have to give yourself every opportunity. If you turn away interviews for a temp job, then you are defeating the purpose of job hunting and will be stuck doing temp for a long time.
Thank you. I feel the same way. Since the last temp agency almost took advantage of me. I am still waiting to get paid for my last 1 week assignment and that was 2 weeks ago. They told me, yesterday, I should received it this upcoming Friday. But that is also what they said over a week ago. I had to do some major calling in that temp agency to make sure they put my time sheet in. They told me they did over a week ago, only to find out yesterday they never did!! This all happened after I started this thread so that is why now I am so against temp agencies. But, I want to thank everyone for their input.

Last edited by jlmerritt36; 08-02-2008 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: add something

Old 08-02-2008, 02:00 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
If you already have the interview set up when the agency calls simply tell the agency that you are not available until the following day. That way you would only miss out on one day of a temp assignment and can still do your interview.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,064 times
Default Temp jobs pay more!

It has been my experience that temp jobs pay higher than permanent, because they don't offer benefits. If it's money you're after, you're probably better off "temping" for the time being.

Good hunting! --Judy

Last edited by Global Friend; 08-03-2008 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: no advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment