Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,030,656 times

Advertisements

Thank you all, you have given me a lot to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,420,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Thank you all, you have given me a lot to think about.
Put yourself in their position. If you go into detail you tell them "2 months ago I was let go from a job that was so stressful that I was in therapy. As a result of the termination and all the stress we decided to relocate and move in with my mother (or the husband's can't recall), but I am all fine now...the stress, the termination, the life change of moving in with a parent and the move didn't effect me at all". Ummmm....if a friend told you that, wouldn't you wonder if she was as ok as she is saying?

Again, NOT trying to say you are not ready to go back, but I am saying you are telling them too much, and way more than they need to know.

"I was stressed about doing well, I made a mistake by bringing notes into an exam. I was terminated and I have learned that the integrity of the process is worth more than cheating" should cover it without too much info.

If they ask why you moved, say after the job ended (avoid termination) you and your husband decided to make a fresh start near family.

All true. And fewer red flags.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:01 PM

Thank you thebunny, that helps.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:49 PM

You're welcome. Please let us know how things go....

Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,276,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Putting the false information on the application is just as bad.

And if it comes out that you were terminated and did not tell the truth, even if it was on the application, you will still be fired.

I was fired about 3 years ago. Was honest on the application about what happened, and got the first job I applied for after being fired. I also work in HR, and termination is not an automatic disqualification, unless the termination was from the company at which we are attempting to place the person.

I am always skeptical of people who say there is such an issue with being terminated. I don't actually think it was your termination that caused them to cancel the interview, rather what you said when you discussed what happened.
Termination is always such an intimidating word. I have been, in the past, "terminated" from jobs because of a downsizing the office was going thru and simply was one of the ones who got "hit". When I would reapply for another job, I would always mention the downsizing the office was going thru. I believe I would use the term "job ended due to office downsizing" and could very well have said "terminated due to downsizing". Have never been "fired" so to speak which is yet another term that sounds bad.

Any suggestions what a person should call being let go from a job? Might help getting advice from ao Human Resources person in order for some of these younger folks who are struggling trying to find work. Thanks...BTW...I am now happily retired hmmmm? does that make me a slacker?? Only fooling!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Termination is always such an intimidating word. I have been, in the past, "terminated" from jobs because of a downsizing the office was going thru and simply was one of the ones who got "hit". When I would reapply for another job, I would always mention the downsizing the office was going thru. I believe I would use the term "job ended due to office downsizing" and could very well have said "terminated due to downsizing". Have never been "fired" so to speak which is yet another term that sounds bad.

Any suggestions what a person should call being let go from a job? Might help getting advice from ao Human Resources person in order for some of these younger folks who are struggling trying to find work. Thanks...BTW...I am now happily retired hmmmm? does that make me a slacker?? Only fooling!
Honesty comes to mind. If you were fired, saying "job ended" is not really what happened...the job is still there, they just asked you not to be part of it.

Sometimes, depending on the relationship with the old job, you can find out what they will say. Say the same thing. If a person tells me the job ended and the previous employer tells me "fired" that is going to make me question the honesty of the applicant.

However, you don't need to be all that specific either...you don't have to say every possible reason. The reason the company gave is enough. In the case of the OP of this thread, she was fired for misconduct. That's all someone needs to say, and if the prospecitve employer asks for details keep it short, to the point, and end on a "what I learned note" Something like, I was fired for misconduct. I learned (insert what was learned) and am looking forward to using what i gained from the experience in a new opportunity.

Also, I usually tell people to be honest, ONCE. When it first comes up, say "I was fired, I was terminated" however you feel most comfortable with. After that, if it comes up again, things like "after that opportunity ended" are better. You are not being dishonest, you are still acknowledging the opportunity ended, you have told the person conducting the interview that you were fired...no reason to keep saying it, as the job did end, the opportunity did end, you did go in another direction...gives it a positive spin. But I ONLY recommend this AFTER you have acknowledged the termination.

Does that help?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:04 PM

I have been laid off before, I was laid off in 2007 after working at a company for 5 years because of lost funding (it was a time when lots of labs were not getting their funding), and that's what I put on applications "laid off due to lack of funding." And when asked (it was a job in research) I explained that at the time the PI lost a lot of funding and got rid of all of her lab assistants and I was one of them. It happens.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM

So then should I still list my last boss as a reference? Or just have the person referred to HR and use my former coworkers as additional references? Thanks

I'm still thinking of having a friend call my old boss to see what she'd say.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:38 PM

I would list HR...but only after verifying with them, in writing if possible, what they will say when called. If they only give dates of employment, you are good to go.

I have the job I was fired from on my resume. I was there quite a while, and granted when I protested the termination they also fired the person who lied to get me terminated (she was trying to scapegoat me to save herself) after I presented the proof...but it is still on there and one of my references is from it.

Just remember, if you have a professional reference from Company A, then your resume needs to have mention of you working at Company A...or is looks like you are hiding something.

Also, you should ALWAYS be prepared to have a prospective employer call ANY of the jobs listed on the resume. SOme call "off the reference list" to see what people you did not give them will tell about you.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM

639 posts, read 1,970,925 times
If you say that you were fired for misconduct, you will never get another job, maybe not even a minimum wage job. No one is ever supposed to admit to that! You say you left for better opportunities, it wasn't the right fit, BS, etc. And when they call HR they will be told you aren't eligible for rehire, and that's it. That's the closest you ever get to admitting you were fired for cause if you plan to ever work again! It's a white lie you have to tell if you like to eat and live indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment